Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS 9.1 - What time?

OS 9.1 - What time?
interactive_civilian
Jan 8, 2001, 06:34 PM

Ok, I know this sounds like a stupid question, but does anyone know about what time Apple will be posting the OS 9.1 update to their servers so that the general public may download it? Would they do it at midnight tonight? Or will they wait and have it coincide with the keynote? Any ideas?

Just trying to beat the rush if I can... ^_^;;

Cipher13
Jan 8, 2001, 07:06 PM

Either A) at the same time as the announcement is made, B) when the announcement concludes, C) after the keynote/full webpage update.

Cipher13

TallGuyGT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2001, 09:21 PM

are there any benchmarks comparing 9.0.4 to 9.1? I've read of potential speed improvements but haven't seen any numbers.

bleen
Senior User
Jan 8, 2001, 10:59 PM

Apple traditionally "Refreshes" the website with all the new stuff after Steve's keynote.

As for "Speed" increases. Since it is the last of Classic, it'll be as bug free as Apple can make it, also a new "Nanokernal" has been introduced to help multitasking and speed of the OS. (This is all off the rumor mill, will find the true information during Steve's keynote)

[This message has been edited by bleen (edited 01-08-2001).]

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2001, 11:08 PM

Is it always this maddening rush to throw ourselves to the latest and greatest at a moments notice? Yes, we are anticipating much and having the update may solve our problems and it may not. As we all well know, with each update problems or glitches pop up and then we end up scorning what we wanted so much in the first place. I am sure their will be a release tomorrow after the keynote as that would be a sort of 4th of July finale! I have been running 9.1 GM for a month and I have seen with all the speculation and version #'s my GM matches them, So there may be minor improvements, but YES, I still lock up! This is not the Holy Grail, but a further resolutio to some in our never ending battle towards a clean system and productivity enhanced.

So, let us await what shall be and become of this supposedly last classic update and acknowledge there will be further posts of joy and dismay....

Cipher13
Jan 9, 2001, 12:49 AM

9.1 GM hasn't been available for a month...

Cipher13

Phaedrus
Jan 9, 2001, 01:08 AM

As we all well know, with each update problems or glitches pop up and then we end up scorning what we wanted so much in the first place.
I suspect this is why so many of the new features were removed from OS 9.1. Instead of piling on more unproven code, Apple wanted to polish up the existing code and give us a final version. Not a bad strategy if that's what they were really thinking.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 11:12 AM

Yeah? Well, I have been going through with my ADC and I have all the version #'s for all the parts of OS 9.1 GM, I have been testing it a bit and find minor glitches here and there that will hopefully be remedied by the hopeful release today.

Don't believe everything the media tells you! Elvis is still alive!

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 11:19 AM

I was hoping they would have integrated the apple talk, remote access, TCP/IP all in one control panel though like they were going to do originally.

I do have to say OS 9.1 is snappier and my machine crashes about one a night as I am at my puter @ home during that time. I have also noticed nice touches under the hood as well as the control panels. I think this update is great so far and all of my third party apps and OS 9.1 are in a bit of harmony...

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Jan 9, 2001, 11:44 AM

1 hr and 20 minutes to the webcast here on the East Coast.

My guess is by the 2 pm-4pm (EST) timeframe something should be up there. I remember watching the July NYC webcast, and the website was updated within about 2 - 4 hrs.

I'm not even attempting the download until later tonight at work on the T-1 line. I got a blank ZIP disk ready for it

Mike

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2001, 06:58 PM

Downloading part 12 of 15 of OS 9.1 and will see if it is much different than the 9.1 GM I have been evaluating. Yes, if OS 9.1 was GM over last weekend then I doubt it would have been released so soon. Unless they are pushing it out the door to field test for OS X hopefully coming in March.

Forum Links
Forum Rules