Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > New Mac...now or later?

New Mac...now or later?
murdoc158
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2006, 09:35 PM

Hello everyone,
I plan on purchasing a new iMac by years end. I see that Leopard is scheduled for release in Spring 2007. Is this something I should consider waiting for? I don't need a new mac anytime soon, just more of a want thing. Also I will be making "the switch" from a PC. I know in PC world that an OS upgrade from M$ usually takes 6 months from the initial new OS launch. From what I understand, Apple does not release two versions of it's OS (standard, full install versus an upgrade). If I did buy an iMac before Leopard is released and I wanted to upgrade later, are there any things I should know? Thanks in advance!
iMac 24" 2.16GHz C2D, 2GB SDRAM, 500GB HD, 7600GT,
Apple B/T Keyboard, Logitech MX Revolution,
M-Audio BX5a's, M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2006, 10:23 PM

Upgrading to Leopard is just a matter of plunking down the $129 and installing. The configuration in your sig will be fine for Leopard.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2006, 03:46 AM

Order it now!

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

P
Dec 7, 2006, 04:58 AM

Leopard is still a bit of a moving target. I'd order after Macworld, to see if there's an update there, and then upgrade to Leopard as needed. I wouldn't install Leopard until about 10.5.2 anyway, so the worst bugs are ironed out.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2006, 05:15 PM

You should definitely wait until after Macworld (early January) because they could pre-announce the release date of Leopard then. If they do, any new Mac you buy between then and the release of the new OS has traditionally been upgradeable to the new OS for shipping and handling costs only (typically $20).

However, it is probably unlikely that they will make that announcement, but given that it isn't too long to wait, and that you can wait, I would.

murdoc158  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. Please pardon my noobness, but what is Macworld? Is it like SEMA except for Macs?

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2006, 06:36 PM

Its an annual event held in the US just after the New Year, sponsored by MacWorld magazine, where Apple typically holds a Keynote address. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, gives the Keynote and he always demonstrates new or previews upcoming consumer products (pro level products are generally announced at the WWDC developer's conference). A demonstration of the new version of the OS, whatever state it is in, is likely as an early version was previewed at the last WWDC and we are likely to be given an update on the progress made with the features in the OS since that time. If the development cycle is close enough to being completed, they might (big might) announce a release date. Hence the reason for waiting.

FWIW, it is where the catchphrase "Oh and there's one more thing..." comes from, and where the term RDF (reality distortion field) originates from as Jobs' presentations are usually highly polished examples of spin. Come the day, you will read a lot of comments back here as to what people thought of it (Apple posts the Keynote on its website shortly after the presentation). Even if you aren't that interested in tech, it is worth watching a Jobs Keynote just to see a masterclass in the art of giving a presentation.

Macworld : Macworld Conference & Expo

Macworld - Keynotes
( Last edited by JKT; Dec 8, 2006 at 06:52 PM. )

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 8, 2006, 09:39 PM

To tell you the truth 10.5 really doesn't have anything special that I would really want and most people wont upgrade. Of course Apple may be holding out on some important announcements concerning 10.5. Nevertheless, if this is the case than I could see them offering some sort of product refreshing in order to "push" sales.
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2006, 10:03 PM

I would get the 20" iMac (or larger) for sure. Wait for a great deal to come your way and buy it.

-upgrade the memory to at least 1GB ram.
-You will still find yourself using your Windows machine, but more and more the Mac will take over and will be faster and more enjoyable.

COMING SOON: 24" iMac 2.16GHz Core 2 Dual, 2GB SDRAM, 500GB HD, GeForce 7600 GT 256MB graphics, Apple wireless keyboard and wireless mighty mouse
-I think you will enjoy this type of system immensely -especially if your are upgrading from a CRT Windows system. I have the 20" iMac and now want something like 30" LCD iMac (will also use as a TV). Make sure you have broadband internet access. Look at dashboard and all the widgets available. Buy an iPod and rip those YouTube video files.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
To tell you the truth 10.5 really doesn't have anything special that I would really want and most people wont upgrade.
If you meant that the features that Apple has shown already don't offer anything special to you then that would be understandable (not necessarily something I would agree with and we also have no idea what other features will be added), but it is a sweeping statement that most people won't upgrade. I imagine 80 to 90% of the people posting here will upgrade the day it is released, no matter what the features are just because that is what always happens.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2006, 08:38 AM

The general rule with Apple hardware is that the line is refreshed about three days after I upgrade my machines. I don't plan on doing that for a long time yet, so I'd buy now.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

murdoc158  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
Its an annual event held in the US just after the New Year, sponsored by MacWorld magazine, where Apple typically holds a Keynote address. Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple, gives the Keynote and he always demonstrates new or previews upcoming consumer products (pro level products are generally announced at the WWDC developer's conference). A demonstration of the new version of the OS, whatever state it is in, is likely as an early version was previewed at the last WWDC and we are likely to be given an update on the progress made with the features in the OS since that time. If the development cycle is close enough to being completed, they might (big might) announce a release date. Hence the reason for waiting.

FWIW, it is where the catchphrase "Oh and there's one more thing..." comes from, and where the term RDF (reality distortion field) originates from as Jobs' presentations are usually highly polished examples of spin. Come the day, you will read a lot of comments back here as to what people thought of it (Apple posts the Keynote on its website shortly after the presentation). Even if you aren't that interested in tech, it is worth watching a Jobs Keynote just to see a masterclass in the art of giving a presentation.

Macworld : Macworld Conference & Expo

Macworld - Keynotes
Ok, I've heard of the Keynote presentation, and I saw a video from this past summer of the WWDC. I've just never heard anyone refer to it as Macworld.

Originally Posted by badsey View Post
I would get the 20" iMac (or larger) for sure. Wait for a great deal to come your way and buy it.

-upgrade the memory to at least 1GB ram.
-You will still find yourself using your Windows machine, but more and more the Mac will take over and will be faster and more enjoyable.

-I think you will enjoy this type of system immensely -especially if your are upgrading from a CRT Windows system. I have the 20" iMac and now want something like 30" LCD iMac (will also use as a TV). Make sure you have broadband internet access. Look at dashboard and all the widgets available. Buy an iPod and rip those YouTube video files.
Yeah I currently have a HP a1250n, with AMD 64X2 processors, and a 17" (4:3) LCD. The iMac will be getting 2GB RAM, as I plan on building a PVR and streaming to my HT. A 30" iMac would be awesome, but I would have a hard time justifying that purchase over a Mac Pro. Broadband internet? What's that? j/k. I've got a 3rd gen 30GB iPod that has less than 2GB left open. I will be getting a new 80GB, but I just found one of my favorite artists has 40GB of material that I don't have yet. That would leave me with less than 10GB open on my 80GB iPod, and I haven't even put videos on yet.

Originally Posted by Millennium View Post
The general rule with Apple hardware is that the line is refreshed about three days after I upgrade my machines.
Story of my life. I bought my HP with AMD dual core processors and 2 weeks later Intel released their new Core 2 Duo line.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 12:32 PM

Often Apple will announce updated or new systems at MacWorld SF in Jan. However sometimes they wait till later.

If paying 129 for OS 10.5 is something that balks you then you could wait until March / April when the ship date is announced. Then any mac you by after that time will qualify you for a free OS upgrade.

Question is how desperate are you for the mac? Wait another month for some small changes to the iMac line or get it now? The iMac only just got upgrade to core2 processors so it will only be a speed increase if any and maybe a GPU upgrade.

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't upgrade the iMac at MW.

BTW - OS 10.5 will be a big deal. The speed of your machine will be enhanced significantly.

Millennium - given you know a lot about Macs I'm surprised you miss out on the new macs.
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
Ok, I've heard of the Keynote presentation, and I saw a video from this past summer of the WWDC. I've just never heard anyone refer to it as Macworld.
Macworld (consumer) and WWDC (pro/developer) are two different events, but Jobs gives a Keynote at both.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Upgrading to Leopard is just a matter of plunking down the $129 and installing. The configuration in your sig will be fine for Leopard.
Actually, I expect that iLife will receive an update as well, so that's another $79.

If you buy now, you can use it now. But if you are ready to wait, you probably should, if you want to save at least $200.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tkmd View Post
To tell you the truth 10.5 really doesn't have anything special that I would really want and most people wont upgrade.
The reception on your crystal ball needs tweaking.

NeilCharter
Senior User
Dec 9, 2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Actually, I expect that iLife will receive an update as well, so that's another $79.

If you buy now, you can use it now. But if you are ready to wait, you probably should, if you want to save at least $200.
Good point McKenna. I would expect that to be updated at MWSF. I think Apple want to be aggressive with that suite's development because it is a major switch factor.

Given that it could be worth waiting for MW before buying. Although I don't envy you murdoc since this sounds like your first mac, and you don't have another mac to tied you over.

If I had a signature, it would look something like this

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by NeilCharter View Post
Good point McKenna. I would expect that to be updated at MWSF. I think Apple want to be aggressive with that suite's development because it is a major switch factor.

Given that it could be worth waiting for MW before buying. Although I don't envy you murdoc since this sounds like your first mac, and you don't have another mac to tied you over.

Also expect some surprises, since XP's sucessor will have been closed out and Apple can release some new killer features that the leave the PC world fawning! As well ass iTV and iPhone, etc!

murdoc158  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Also expect some surprises, since XP's sucessor will have been closed out and Apple can release some new killer features that the leave the PC world fawning! As well ass iTV and iPhone, etc!
iPhone? Is that the Apple produced cell phone? I've only really seen one picture of it and haven't heard anything more about it. If it does come to market, I'm sure it would be a GSM phone so I couldn't use it with Verizon Wireless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules