Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Help getting vMac to work?

Help getting vMac to work?
Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 06:06 AM

Try as I might, I cannot wrap my brain around what needs to be done to get vMac working. The problem is likely that I don't have any floppies of the old System Installers. However, I do have some downloaded image files of a few different versions of OS 7, and I have an old installer CD for the old 5200, 5300, 6200, and 6300s. I do have the vMac.ROM, but beyond that, I haven't managed to get things up and running. Can any of you who know the ins and outs of vMac help me out? I'd love to look at some old HyperCard stacks I made in the early 90s, play some old games, etc.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 06:50 AM

A few tips:

1. Use Mini vMac instead of vMac. It started out as a more basic version of vMac, but the fact that vMac hasn't seen much development since 2002 whereas Mini vMac has grown by leaps and bounds in that time, it's actually more full-featured than the official vMac version is right now and works much better.

2. The OS installer for the 5200s is way too recent. Those were PowerPC machines! You're looking for stuff much older than that, stuff that would run on a Mac Plus c. 1986. Fortunately, Apple's Older System download site contains images for various old systems. I use 6.0.5, because 6.0.8 introduced a new Sound Manager that broke a lot of older games. If you want to play games that are slightly newer and require System 7, I'd try 7.0.1. You could try 7.5.3, but I wouldn't recommend it on a Mac Plus (albeit a virtual one) since it has only 4 MB of RAM, which really isn't enough for 7.5.3.

Why 7.1 isn't available for download on Apple's site, I'll never understand.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Jim Paradise  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2006, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
A few tips:

1. Use Mini vMac instead of vMac. It started out as a more basic version of vMac, but the fact that vMac hasn't seen much development since 2002 whereas Mini vMac has grown by leaps and bounds in that time, it's actually more full-featured than the official vMac version is right now and works much better.

2. The OS installer for the 5200s is way too recent. Those were PowerPC machines! You're looking for stuff much older than that, stuff that would run on a Mac Plus c. 1986. Fortunately, Apple's Older System download site contains images for various old systems. I use 6.0.5, because 6.0.8 introduced a new Sound Manager that broke a lot of older games. If you want to play games that are slightly newer and require System 7, I'd try 7.0.1. You could try 7.5.3, but I wouldn't recommend it on a Mac Plus (albeit a virtual one) since it has only 4 MB of RAM, which really isn't enough for 7.5.3.

Why 7.1 isn't available for download on Apple's site, I'll never understand.
I ended up getting a port of BasiliskII which turned out to be what I wanted in the first place since I wanted colour emulation. The best part about BasiliskII is that it read and installed right from the 7.5.1 CD that I had (I'm currently updated the system to 7.5.3).

Thanks for the suggestions, though!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 03:02 PM

Yeah, if you want to emulate System 7-era stuff, Basilisk is probably your best bet. For Basilisk II, you can download a full installation of 7.5.3 from Apple's site, using the same link that I posted above, which is handier than installing 7.5.1 and updating it to 7.5.3.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules