Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > DVD burning help!!

DVD burning help!!
cpring22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 02:22 PM

So i posted a thread before and i got some different answers here's my dilema. I just got a LaCie dual layer DVD burner. When i burn the dual layer DVD's they won't play on my regular dvd player. How come? It plays dvd+r when i burn them. Someone told that was because regular dvd players can't play dual layer dvd's. But most of the the new DVD's are dual layer and i can't fit what i am doing on a regular DVD+R. What i'm trying to fit on a disk is more than 4.7 gigs which is how much a dvd+r holds. My question is how can i play dual layer dvd's in my dvd player and if not then can i somehow fit more 4.7GH on a regular DVD+R?

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2006, 03:27 PM

Standard DVD player can play dual layer disks because most commercialy released movies on DVD are recorded on dual layer disks. The maine difference between commercial and home burned DVD is the burning process. Home burned DVD are less reliable for many reason (media type, lens calibration, etc.)

Some DVD player are dificult with home burned DVD. I have an old Sony player that wont play 12x or 16x disks. It only plays 8x disks or less. My other, more recent, Sony DVD player has played anything so far. Some DVD player also have problems with specific blank media brands. Go figure!

A VHS may look like crap but it always works...

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2006, 01:44 PM

I suggest you try again, but burn at 1X or 2X if possible.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 03:36 AM

-r/+r media are totally different to commercial disks, which are "pressed" mechanical (pits), therefor homebrew media "changes the laser reflection behavior of a polymer dye" ..

many standalones don't accept DL media.. you have more luck with DL+r, then DL-r ...

concerning 4.7GB ...- you do know, that iDVD doesn't care for SIZE but for LENGTH of a project?
an iM project with lots of imported material can size >60GB... that will fit easiely onto a 4.7 media, as long as the project LENGTH is <120 minutes....

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Dec 13, 2006, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=k_munic;3238162]-r/+r media are totally different to commercial disks, which are "pressed" mechanical (pits), therefor homebrew media "changes the laser reflection behavior of a polymer dye" .. QUOTE]

Thanks for the precision, I was not 100% sure on how to explain the difference properly.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 13, 2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dlefebvre View Post
...Thanks for the precision, I was not 100% sure on how to explain the difference properly.
I had stolen that "quote", read it once, topic was "long term storage", and that line about changing the ... instead of mechanical holes BURNED into my mind ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules