Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is anyone going to the MacWorld Expo in San Fran?

Is anyone going to the MacWorld Expo in San Fran?
Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2006, 02:47 AM

I think I'm going to try and get out there for the expo. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? Any veterans with suggestions on where to stay?

Any stories of wild drunken nights, waking up next to a strange macbook?

Thanks!

Kyle
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 30, 2006, 03:41 AM

I'll be there... as an exhibitor. I'd get a room booked asap... it is San Francisco's largest show and hotel space fills up quickly. You'll enjoy it more if you are within walking distance to Moscone (the show's venue).

Have fun!

Trygve Inda
Xeric Design, Ltd. | a software development company
Booth 1338
( Last edited by Trygve; Nov 30, 2006 at 05:03 AM. )

James L
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 03:43 AM

Kyle,

I go every year.

I am partial to the Chancellor hotel, at 433 Powell St. I think it is about $150 a night. I have also stayed at the Parc 55 hotel.... awesome place. Big time overpriced. I had a client pay for it though, so no big deal.

If you fly into SFO, you can take the BART right to the foot of Powell St for $5.15 (iirc). Then it is a short walk up Powell, past union square, to the hotel.

In the morning, it is about a 15 minute walk to Moscone Center for the show. The best thing about it is that the Apple Flagship store is right between the hotel and Moscone Center!

If you go to google maps:

Google Maps

You can enter the address above to see where Union Square and the Chancellor Hotel is. From there, follow Powell down to Ellis. This is the cable car turn around, where you can hop on if you don't mind spending the extra $$$ and take it to fisherman's wharf and alcatraz for site seeing.

Now, turn left on Ellis. Go to Stockton and Ellis, and there is the Apple store. From there, cross Market St, and go straight down 4th to Moscone Center.

This is all from memory, but should be right. There are some great places to stay, but there are also some dives. Just do some research before you book.

San Francisco is an amazing city, and MWSF is well worth it.

Cheers,

James

p.s. If you go, there is a little burger place up and behind Moscone Center called Mo's. Well worth it for a lunch.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2006, 04:50 AM

I'll be there. I've got a room booked, planes tickets purchased, and my suitcase has been sitting at the foot of my bed for about two weeks (not kidding) waiting to be packed.

I don't know if there's space still avalible there, but if you're looking for a hotel at a great deal, and don't mind sharing a bathroom,check out The Mosser. You can stay a 6 night/7 day week for around $300 (If you are looking for more traditional hotel accomidations, check out one of the $300 a night places across the street )

Can anyone tell me what the MacWorld Party is like (Formal/Informal)? Is it worth the $40 tickets? Are the raffle prizes good (iPods, cameras, accesories, ect), or are they useless junk ($1 off McD's Value meal)?

Of who's going, are any of you going to the party (Could Demonhood be there gaining material for a new photo album with witty commentary)?
iGeek

Oversoul
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 09:33 AM

I'll be going. Third year attending now.

I just go for the exhibit hall, which came free this year because of an early registration promotion. My girlfriend, who's more in the creative area, is thinking about attending some seminars either this upcoming Macworld or next.

I really can't advise you on a place to stay because I'm fortunate enough to live only about a few blocks away from the Moscone Center. San Francisco hotels are pricey so expect to pay in the mid-$100s or more per night. If you're willing to look beyond the Union Square hotels, you might find cheaper rates. The downside, of course, is that it takes you farther from the Moscone and all the action.

That said, Union Square is a mecca for shopping. Nearly all the major designer brands are there. Also, the new addition to the Westfield San Francisco Shopping Centre just opened up in late August and there are five new levels of shopping and an excellent food court on the concourse (basement) level. If you're hungry for a quick bite, definitely check out this food court. This shopping mall is only one or two blocks up from the Moscone, with entrances on Mission Street and Market Street between Fourth and Fifth Streets. (The Moscone is between Third and Fourth Streets one block below Mission on Howard).

The San Francisco flagship Apple Store is also nearby, only about 2 blocks up from the Moscone. Walk up Fourth Street to Market, and across the intersection, on Market and Stockton, is the unmistakable aluminum clad Apple Store. If there are any new releases with immediate availability, you can be sure a mad rush of attendees will swarm the Apple Store after the announcement. I recall that happening with the iPod shuffle.

Take James L's advice about taking the BART if arriving through SFO. It's only a little over $5 one-way and it'll take you right into the city in about 25 minutes. You'll be paying about $25 for a cab, or only a little less for a super shuttle. There's a BART station at Powell and Market, and if you're staying around Union Square, that station's your best stop. There are several exits to the station, including exits into the concourse (food court) of the new Westfield mall, out to the Cable Car turnaround, and even out directly next to the Apple Store. You should be able to find your bearings soon enough.

Most importantly, if you're planning on coming, have fun! I haven't checked out the Macworld party and I don't recall there being one in past years (is this the first year?), so I can't say. There are a lot of other parties and meet-ups, however, and you'll find out about them from fliers handed out in front of the show, on popular blogs, or at the convention itself. There's no shortage of things to do.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 08:23 PM

exhibit hall passes are free basically. You can always find them being offered by one site or another.

Here is one:

FastMac | Press

Cheers,

James L

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2006, 08:28 PM

And this site for show info, if you haven't seen it:

Macworld : Macworld Conference & Expo

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 2, 2006, 09:44 PM

i'll be there. already ordered my pass and booked the hotel.
this'll be my....5th, i think.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by James L View Post
I am partial to the Chancellor hotel, at 433 Powell St. I think it is about $150 a night.

If you go, there is a little burger place up and behind Moscone Center called Mo's. Well worth it for a lunch.
I can personally give a to both. I know a couple different people who always stay at the Chancellor.

adamjackson1984
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 04:55 PM

I'll be going. Covering expo for my site, Index :: Daily Tech Talk This is my fifth expo and I'm super excited to go. I suggest anyone looking for some free passes, discount conference passes and lodging special rates just visit my macworld page Index :: Daily Tech Talk

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 13, 2006, 05:58 PM

I'll be driving into Livermore to stay at my folk's house, then taking Bart in.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

adamjackson1984
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2006, 06:09 PM

I thought about staying with friends in palo alto but I know friends that run a hostel in town. its like a hotel private room, private bathroom, wi-fi breakfast. Adelaide Hostel San Francisco hostels San Francisco youth hostels California USA good stuff

Forum Links
Forum Rules