Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Screen Lock in Keychain Access

Screen Lock in Keychain Access
warra
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 04:38 PM

Is there a way to prevent the screensaver from coming on when you select "Lock Screen" from the keychain menubar icon? I set the screensaver to "never" come on, but yet it still shows.
PB12 / 1.5 / 80 / 1.25 / SD

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 05:13 PM

Hmm, I get the same thing. Is this a bug in the OS or something?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 05:33 PM

It's not a bug, that's what locking the screen does. Locking the screen turns on the screensaver with password protection.
Vandelay Industries

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's not a bug, that's what locking the screen does. Locking the screen turns on the screensaver with password protection.
If "Never" is chosen for the screensaver though, it should simply make the screen go black in my opinion.

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 07:12 PM

I agree. Is there a way to prevent the screesaver from coming on when the screen is locked?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 07:15 PM

No, there is no way to do that. Locking the screen can only be accomplished by using the screensaver system. You can set the screensaver to the Computer Name module so you'll get a black screen, but you will have a screensaver running no matter what.
Vandelay Industries

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2006, 07:27 PM

If you don't want the screen saver, just go back to the Login Window. There are apps that let you assign a keyboard combo to it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 14, 2006, 08:19 PM

I would go back to the login window, but everytime I do, my airport is disabled, despite the fact that I have 'dont disable airport when logged out" checked.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2006, 08:24 PM

Out of curiosity... why do you have a problem with the screensaver being active when you lock the screen?
Vandelay Industries

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2006, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by warra View Post
I would go back to the login window, but everytime I do, my airport is disabled, despite the fact that I have 'dont disable airport when logged out" checked.
Even when Fast User Switching is on and you go to the login window without logging out?
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2006, 05:11 AM

How about you set a black screensaver?

warra  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2006, 06:45 PM

Out of curiosity... why do you have a problem with the screensaver being active when you lock the screen?
It's more of a matter of choice than anything else, I feel like I should have the option of not displaying a screensaver at all. I would rather see the simple login screen rather than a battery draining screensaver. Though I could try the blank screensaver.

Even when Fast User Switching is on and you go to the login window without logging out?
Yes, fast user switching is enabled. My name shows in the top right hand corner, and to lock the screen I would just click it and select "Login Window." My connection isn't disabled while I am using an ethernet cable, but when I use wireless, I am disconnected. The "Disconnect from wireless networks when I log out" is unchecked, so I should still stay connected, but I don't.

Forum Links
Forum Rules