Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > VMWare vs. Parallels?

VMWare vs. Parallels?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 01:37 PM

I have used Parallels for quite some time and now that it supports the Boot Camp I like it even more since I can also use Boot Camp when necessary (such as when I play a computer game).
I am hearing a lot about VMWare now though. Does anyone use VMWare on here and how does it compare to Parallels?

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2006, 04:39 AM

I think it depends what you want / need ..

For example : If you need a stable virtual environment which supports Linux and you have a powerful host machine, go for vmware .. if you rather have a small program which is capable to run Windows for small applications, such as Office or something and you would like to run those Windows programs from your Mac desktop as well (coherence), go for Parallel .. I don't know if the Mac version of vmware will stay freeware .. but if it does I guess a decision is also whether you want to spend money or not (or willing to)

And also : Parallel supports in the moment Boot Camp support, so you can use your Boot Camp partition in Parallels as well .. not sure if they will implement this in vmware too .. in the moment though it does not support it ..

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by utw-Mephisto View Post
For example : If you need a stable virtual environment ... go for vmware ..
I can attest that Parallels is pretty stable. Never a crash here.

zeppo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2006, 10:17 PM

Vmware supports things like USB modems for those of us that still need them. Parallels does not at least not yet.

from the parallels website

the caveat about USB support

"NOTE! Current Build 3094 doesn’t support isochronous devices such as web cameras, microphones, etc."

I am guessing USB modems fall into that category. Parallels is improving the previous versions could not even see the USB Modem now it can but can't properly communicate with them.
( Last edited by zeppo; Dec 24, 2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarification)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 24, 2006, 10:44 AM

It appears that the latest version of Parallels DOES support just about everything USB...see the second post inthis thread

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mark.s
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2006, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
I can attest that Parallels is pretty stable. Never a crash here.
Yep. Parallels has been really stable for me too.

And the latest beta with coherence / windows app icons in the Dock is getting close to a seamless level of transparency when running apps.

nickw311
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 06:51 PM

I have both on my MacBook and both are stable and run relatively fast. I do however prefer the Coherence mode on Parallels but at $80, I find it to be quite pricey.
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules