Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Any way to override memory req.?

Any way to override memory req.?
Lucas Costner
Oct 30, 1999, 10:06 PM

Does anyone know if there is any way to override the 32 meg memory requirement in MacOS 9? I know its a little crazy, but I usually run a "lighened" version of the OS which let me continue to use the current versions until now. I've got 24 megs, but Apple has now put a block that keeps you from installing if you have less than 32. I used to run OS8 on a Performa with 12 megs of RAM and though it may not always be convenient, usually the added features are worth the occasional wait with virtual memory. Guess Apple got wise to this kind of thing because I haven't found any way to override the OS9 installer yet. But, if anyone out there has found a back door, please let me know. Thanks!

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 1999, 05:16 AM

for God's sake man, BUY SOME RAM... you can't do a thing about OS 9 needing 32M.

even if you could you wouldn't want to.

there is no excuse whatever to not have more RAM than what you have, i SWEAR i'd rob a gas station to get more if i were in your place and had no money to buy more RAM. I'd at least cancel my ISP for a couple of months and use the money I saved for some RAM.

it was PAINFUL for me to read your post... my God, VM and 24M on a Performa... you have the patience of a saint.

I WILL TAKE UP A COLLECTION for you, just say the word!!

Lucas Costner
Oct 31, 1999, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the advice. I went out and purched 2 32 meg RAM SIMMS this afternoon, and as of 8:30 Central time I am running MacOS 9 in 72 MEGS OF RAM!! Really this is what I should have done a long time ago, but I was waiting for RAM prices to go down (even as they steadily increased). I'm actually doing alot of web development and DTP work, and running Photoshop, Pagemill, and Netscape Communicator at the same time, while possible with virtual memory, was not practical or effective. Already, I wonder how I ever managed with as little RAM as I was using. Again, thanks for the advice.
Lucas Costner

Forum Links
Forum Rules