Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will this Hard drive work in my Mac Pro?

Will this Hard drive work in my Mac Pro?
louh
Forum Regular
Dec 21, 2006, 02:05 PM

Before I buy a new Mac Pro at the end of January, I want to buy at least one extra internal hard drive. Would this desktop drive work in the new Mac Pro's? Any better suggestions.

WD CaviarĀ® SE16 SATA Hard Drives 500 GB, 300 MB/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2006, 02:08 PM

Yes.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

derekn
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 07:33 PM

I believe that's the same WD I have in mine (CompUSA had a sale on them a few weeks back for $150). It works great. It isn't the fastest (but is by no means slow) but it is the quietest high capacity drive out there. SilentPC Review has a listing of the quietest hard drives and this WD has a pretty high vibration rating (7 out of 10 I believe) but the db level gets a very high rating from them. So if you want silence, you may want to grab 2 or 3 if you need the capacity.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2006, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by derekn View Post
I believe that's the same WD I have in mine (CompUSA had a sale on them a few weeks back for $150). It works great. It isn't the fastest (but is by no means slow) but it is the quietest high capacity drive out there. SilentPC Review has a listing of the quietest hard drives and this WD has a pretty high vibration rating (7 out of 10 I believe) but the db level gets a very high rating from them. So if you want silence, you may want to grab 2 or 3 if you need the capacity.
Thanks. I'll check them out and see if I can save a few dollars. Hope it's still going on.

derekn
Senior User
Dec 24, 2006, 12:50 AM

That one is not unfortunately, it was only for about a week and the rebate had to be sent in by early December. The 500GB drives are coming down in price, so hopefully there will be more deals like that.

Newegg has a deal going on for a 500GB Maxtor for $130 right now.

louh  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll wait till I actually get my Mac. Who knows how much the price will have dropped by then. I might wait till Leopard - that's my gut feeling when Mac Pro's will be upgraded.
Lou

derekn
Senior User
Dec 26, 2006, 09:42 PM

Yeah, neither OS X nor 3rd party software comes close to using all the resources of the dual core chips (the developers of the x.264 codec say it will "try" to utilize all resources). So something like an 8 core is even more overkill right now, maybe even then unless you're encoding nothing but HD.

BTW, frys.com has a Maxtor 500GB down to $130 now. I was hoping we'd see Hitachis 1TB hard drive by now, but either way, it will be coming in the new year so the 500GB drives will be dropping even more. Hopefully the 750GB drives will come down in price too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules