Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac refresher at macworld???

imac refresher at macworld???
ph0ust
Senior User
Dec 22, 2006, 01:41 PM

hi all. first off, before people start going nuts based on the title.... i do NOT think there will be a major update to the imac at macworld. i am, however, looking to get a 24" imac sometime soon. i do NOT need it immediately; so waiting for a possible macworld update is not a big deal. the only benefit to getting it this year is that it would be a tax write off, which is not to be dismissed.

anyway, if there is a refresh to the line i figure it would be a slightly faster processor, maybe more ram or something like that. nothing major, but something worth waiting say a few weeks for.

any speculation on this? thanks.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2006, 02:31 PM

There is always a chance of a refresh.

And even though you can write it off, you still have to drop the cash to buy it.

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2006, 04:08 PM

The iMac has been refreshed so much over the last year or so. The Mac Mini is looking a bit stale........I'd expect an update there and maybe the dual quad-core Mac Pro.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Dec 23, 2006, 06:04 PM

I call a glossy screen option, not much else.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 23, 2006, 08:12 PM

I hope not. Glossy screens are awful.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 23, 2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I agree, but when is it suspected that Santa Rosa will emerge, I doubt Jan, but you never know.

Beyond that I think Jan is gonna be iTV a new mini and maybe, but I doubt it and 8 core MacPro, oh yes and a new iPod.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Dec 23, 2006, 10:46 PM

No. I think the most likely new thing we will see at MWSF is a new iSight (maybe in the displays).

But you never know...
Signature depreciated.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2006, 11:39 PM

the last 2 posts will happen i am guessing, what would they do to the imac?

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2006, 01:48 AM

was there ever a macworld where there wasn't an update on a mac?
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2006, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Option.

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 07:22 PM

Like I said before, the iMac has been updated so much. First there was the iMac G5 Rev C, then there was the new intel release with the Core Duo, then there was the Core 2 Duo, then there was the addition of the 24" version. I think they're sitting pretty well with the iMac for a while. I expect the Core 2 Duo to find it's way into the Mac Mini, 8 Core Mac Pro option, newer iPods (hoping for the 16GB Flash Video iPod). For the future of the iMac, I picture it getting thinner. There will be OLED Display coming out which will make the screen thinner because there will be no backlights. They could easily use a 7200RPM 2.5" drive and use an external power supply like the Mac Mini which I think would be very smart. Apple has also been looking into that technology converting the heat from the processor to power so who knows........... doing all the changes I put forward would allow them to even use the desktop versions of Core since there'd be more cooling capacity.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

ajprice
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2006, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by iMacYouMac View Post
For the future of the iMac, I picture it getting thinner. There will be OLED Display coming out which will make the screen thinner because there will be no backlights. They could easily use a 7200RPM 2.5" drive and use an external power supply like the Mac Mini which I think would be very smart.
I don't think they would do that myself, the OLED screens are possible, but they are not going to go to 2.5" drives, unless there are multiple bays to get the storage capacity to 500Gb and over like the options on the current iMac. The power supply would stay internal, its only external on the mini because the mini is so small and there would be serious heat issues in it even if they could find the space.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2006, 08:21 PM

The 2.5" drives are getting increasingly bigger in storage space. With the room you could put two side by side. The external power supply is not a nuisance, would save space, would decrease temperature, and decrease repairs. If the PSU goes you just get sent a new one, you don't have to send your machine in to take it apart and add a new unit. It would be positive on many levels.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Dec 26, 2006, 11:17 PM

Except 2.5" drives are slow as all heck.

Mac_X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 12:54 PM

they probably will make some refresh. The whole focus should be on the "iTV", but they should refresh the line-up; or in the next Macworld in Spring- with the release of Leopard.
If there are refreshes to the iMac line it will be like giving each iMac some slight processor bump:
1.83 Ghz -->2Ghz, 2 Ghz --> 2.16 Ghz, 2.16 Ghz --> 2.33 Ghz, nothing "major". Maybe the Mini will become C2D. But my best guess would by spring, there should be some upgrades for the new Leopard 10.5 (hopefully an "Octo" MacPro, Xeon iMac, stuff like that)

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2006, 01:30 PM

I want my iTV!

I've not heard of any big speed bumps to the C2D chips. If anything, maybe, just MAYBE, Apple will cut some prices if they can't bump the speeds, but I doubt it.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2006, 10:04 PM

If the 2.5" drive is 7200 RPM like its 3.5" counterparts, then it'll be the same speed. Yes, the 5400 and 4200rpm versions are slow.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2006, 03:58 PM

I think we'll see updates around mid-March.

Originally Posted by iMacYouMac View Post
If the 2.5" drive is 7200 RPM like its 3.5" counterparts, then it'll be the same speed. Yes, the 5400 and 4200rpm versions are slow.
No, it won't be. The platters are smaller, so the linear velocity is lower for the 2.5" drive at the same spindle speed.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 2, 2007, 11:59 AM

A memory upgrade would be nice, 3gb just doesn't seem adequate for graphic designers and animators running multiple programs while working with large files. Up to 4gb seems more reasonable for people who cannot afford a Mac Pro.

pwolfe1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 2, 2007, 12:14 PM

I'm holding off on buying an imac until after MWSF. I mean, its only 8 days to wait.

Personally, I'm hoping for an upgraded nvidia card in the 24", the 7600 seems a little lackluster for such a bleeding edge machine.

No Time 4 Love Dr. Jones
Forum Regular
Jan 3, 2007, 10:56 AM

Glossy screen option, black color option (premium), 802.11n.

Send all chocolates to my work address.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2007, 04:58 PM

Most new smaller servers we have received have SAS drives, and they often come in 2.5" form. 10000rpm 2.5" SAS drives feel just as fast as 10000rpm 3.5" scsi drives when you give them a good kicking, but of course there can be a small difference.

Not likely you'll see those in iMacs though, but they would work well on the mac pro (5-6 drives?)

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 11:46 PM

I hope there's a black option. Man, I've wanted a black iMac since they released the black iPods and black MacBooks. I'm already getting a 24" iMac anyway. I just hope that it wouldn't cost more just because it's black like the MB's were.

I await what the iTV has become. I just want more info. It's like my most eagerly awaited Apple product ever since waiting for Tiger.

I also await seeing Leopard's new stuff and hopefully a release date. (And not just a "This Spring".)

Who knows.

Also, maybe a TAM. Maybe the black iMac could be the TAM.

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 8, 2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
I hope there's a black option. Man, I've wanted a black iMac since they released the black iPods and black MacBooks. I'm already getting a 24" iMac anyway. I just hope that it wouldn't cost more just because it's black like the MB's were.

I await what the iTV has become. I just want more info. It's like my most eagerly awaited Apple product ever since waiting for Tiger.

I also await seeing Leopard's new stuff and hopefully a release date. (And not just a "This Spring".)

Who knows.

I never thought of a black imac. That would be pretty cool now that I think abut it.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 01:39 AM

It actually surprises me they haven't done it yet. the black MacBook and the black iPod both seemed to imply that one was coming. Eventually.

P
Jan 8, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
Bundle the black iMac 24" with a great speaker system (like the 20th AM) and a wireless keyboard and mouse to match and you have yourself an awesome 30th Anniversary Macintosh.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 02:11 AM

not only were there no updates to any mac, unless i'm overlooking something nothing was introduced that you can even buy until at least next month.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 02:31 AM

I too am surprised. Shocked. Confounded. Flabbergasted. And other various adjectives.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
not only were there no updates to any mac, unless i'm overlooking something nothing was introduced that you can even buy until at least next month.
Two explanations: (1) they had nothing new to introduce; (2) they wanted nothing in the way of the iPhone.

But you may ask: where is the Leopard demo? Where is iLife? Questions, questions.

ph0ust  (op)
Senior User
Jan 11, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
Two explanations: (1) they had nothing new to introduce; (2) they wanted nothing in the way of the iPhone.

But you may ask: where is the Leopard demo? Where is iLife? Questions, questions.
you make a good point..... very strange. i bet they are holding off on the other announcements for the exact reasons you state.

P
Jan 12, 2007, 01:01 PM

They wanted nothing in the way of the iPhone. The iPhone is probably the biggest bet Apple has made in years - that's why they preannounced it so much as well.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2007, 02:40 PM

Now that I've seen it, I DON'T want my iTV.

No imac update, no speed bump, no price cut. Now, like last year, every Tuesday could be a new announcement. No promises, though.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 10:14 AM

I thought the Merom (Core2Duo laptop version) topped out at 2.33GHz and wasn't going to get any faster?? Any update coming up for the iMac is going to be for Santa Rosa, don't think there will be anything until that is out.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2007, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I thought the Merom (Core2Duo laptop version) topped out at 2.33GHz and wasn't going to get any faster?? Any update coming up for the iMac is going to be for Santa Rosa, don't think there will be anything until that is out.
There's still plenty of room for video card/hard drive/memory/price changes to the iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules