Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Honest Opinion!

Honest Opinion!
maccrack
Dec 28, 2006, 03:38 AM

Me being a sophmore In HS and purchasing a mac within the week I was going to purchase a macbook, now my mother braught up the idea of a imac. She said i should get the imac because in less than 2 years i will be getting a laptop for college. I really want a laptop because they look/feel awesome.. but then again she does have a point I can get a nice imac and then in 2 yrs have a lappy and desktop...

so honest opinion is apreciated

ty

glennk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 03:59 AM

I agree with your mom..... Laptops are nice, but you'll shell out $$$ for a product that will be not exclusively be out-of-date, but something that won't have all the cool bells and whistles that will be out in two years. And lets not forget, once in college you do get the Education Discount (which can be sizeable) for a laptop. So, save the cash....get an iMac with the extended warranty...and buy what you really want in two years.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2006, 04:12 AM

get the desktop now and get the laptop later. no recurring problems are being reported with the imac now.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2006, 07:12 AM

Or, perhaps, get a mini now and laptop then.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

badnewsblair
Senior User
Dec 28, 2006, 10:13 AM

When I bought my iMac I was coming from having a Powerbook for 3 years and loving it. Do I miss being able to grab my computer and sit on the couch to watch tv sometimes? Sure. But like has been said before, I have a heck of a lot more machine and I paid about half the price!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules