Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Dumb question about quicktime

Dumb question about quicktime
fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2001, 08:54 PM

This is really bugging me so I have got to post this. I decided to go with Quicktime Pro and wenr through the steps to enter the "registration key" in the quicktime control panel. Now what? I open quicktime and it still says "quicktime player" instead of "pro" and I still cannot open movie clips which I recorded with my ibot camera. What do I need to do to get Quicktime Pro? Apple's website isn't clear for a novice on this issue.

thanks,

Fishguy

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2001, 09:06 PM

As far as i know, it's not supposed to say "pro" when you put the registration key. As for importing movies from your camera, you need a separate program to convert your clips into playable quicktime movies. I'm not tottaly sure but I think media cleaner is a program which lets you convert movie files, not sure though.

[ 08-05-2001: Message edited by: wANCO tHE sANE ]

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

-Q-
Aug 6, 2001, 06:09 PM

Registering QT doesn't change the name. It only makes that annoying pop-up box disappear.

However, depending on the format your camera uses to import video, you should be able to import that into quicktime. Are you using the 'Import...' or 'Open' command from the file menu? I believe open will only access a file in a native QT format. Import handles everything else...

fishguy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2001, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info. Apparently, I needed to reboot. That did the trick and I can now open my video clips.

Another question: any recommendations on reducing the sizes to less than 5 mb per clip? I heard that sorenson was the way to go. Any tips or suggestions? I just recoded a quicktime clip that was 400 mb using sorenson down to 9.9 mb and am very pleased with the quality. Can I squeeze it down anymore. I want to put them on a website and don't have a whole lot of storage mb's.

thanks,

fishguy

Moonray
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by fishguy:
<STRONG>Another question: any recommendations on reducing the sizes to less than 5 mb per clip? I heard that sorenson was the way to go. Any tips or suggestions? I just recoded a quicktime clip that was 400 mb using sorenson down to 9.9 mb and am very pleased with the quality. Can I squeeze it down anymore. I want to put them on a website and don't have a whole lot of storage mb's.</STRONG>
Try to reduce the quality, physical dimensions and/or length of your vid.

-

Scrod
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2001, 03:12 AM

Try using MPEG compression. (This requires extra software.)
I abused my signature until she cried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules