Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Harddrive Vibrating

Harddrive Vibrating
htrick07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2006, 10:36 PM

Hi, a day or so ago my harddrive starded being really really odd. It is brand new so shouldn't be failing...yet that is. Its not the clicking noise either(such as in a failing harddrive.) If the computer is moved from a stationary position just the slightest amount, the harddrive vibrates. (It can both clearly be heard and felt.) On other thing is that if the vibrations occur while loading a web page, it will pause until i reposition the computer to stop the noise/vibrations. This makes me think possible the Sudden Motion Sensor is malfunctioning possibly, but i highly doubt that.

By the way it is a Powerbook G4 Aluminum. 60gb 1gb ram, 15", AP, BT, Superdrive.

Thanks a lot for anyone with ideas. Joe.
( Last edited by htrick07; Dec 28, 2006 at 10:38 PM. Reason: forgot the model of computer)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2006, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by htrick07 View Post
Hi, a day or so ago my harddrive starded being really really odd. It is brand new so shouldn't be failing...yet that is. Its not the clicking noise either(such as in a failing harddrive.) If the computer is moved from a stationary position just the slightest amount, the harddrive vibrates. (It can both clearly be heard and felt.) On other thing is that if the vibrations occur while loading a web page, it will pause until i reposition the computer to stop the noise/vibrations. This makes me think possible the Sudden Motion Sensor is malfunctioning possibly, but i highly doubt that.

By the way it is a Powerbook G4 Aluminum. 60gb 1gb ram, 15", AP, BT, Superdrive.

Thanks a lot for anyone with ideas. Joe.
Not motion sensor! That model didn't have one! Has anyone removed or replace drive? If so, they left out one of the rubber spacers.

htrick07  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2006, 12:37 AM

yes, in fact it is missing one of them. I replace the harddive when the first one failed, and the screw wouldn't come out, I did everything i could. In the meantime i thought that may have been the problem, so i made a makeshift one. The vibrations are very rare for the last two hours or so.

Would anyone happen to have the housing for the powerbook hdd? Thanks.

MrN79
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by htrick07 View Post
yes, in fact it is missing one of them. I replace the harddive when the first one failed, and the screw wouldn't come out, I did everything i could. In the meantime i thought that may have been the problem, so i made a makeshift one. The vibrations are very rare for the last two hours or so.

Would anyone happen to have the housing for the powerbook hdd? Thanks.
Several places to purchase parts for PB's...

iFixIt.com
PowerBookMedics.com
PowerBookParts.com

any one of them will have the parts you need.
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

htrick07  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 01:36 AM

Alright, so anyway googleing around, i found that some guys dropped their ipods to fixed the fialing hdd's on them. Well i tried it with my buddies i promised to fix.... it worked. Another one of mine it worked. I still wasn't to sure about it. Anyway with my harddrive problems iwth my pwoerbook, I alredady have two failed harddrives, and my current one has started the vibrating thing, well what the heck. I dropped the failed ones from about 4ft onto my carpteted floor. Plopped them in, what do you know, they both work, but for how long. Not sure if this is a temporary or permanent fix. but it releaves me a bit. Thought i might let you know.

By the way, thanks for trying to help.

Googler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2006, 09:32 PM

lmao kudos to the guy that found out throwin ur ipod around would "fix it".

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2006, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Googler View Post
lmao kudos to the guy that found out throwin ur ipod around would "fix it".
In 1984 I had a Corvus 5 MegaByte hard drive, that was failing, and it cost $5,000. When it failed,

I would "thump" it with a backhand and it would startup and work for a few months, It had wat was then called "stickston" The grease in the bearings would lock up and once it started up it worked fine!

Forum Links
Forum Rules