Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How good is an imac screen?

How good is an imac screen?
Gordio
Dec 30, 2006, 05:49 PM

ANyone have a good answer? Currently I Use a mini with a dell 2405 24 inch, which is really good. I'm considering getting a 24" imac once leopard comes out. Looking at the price of an imac and its machinery, it seems the monitor isn't costing apple a lot. Is going to an imac screen from a dell screen a downgrade? the same? or upgrade?

I don't mind if its a *slight* downgrade. Also, I know the dell has extra features such as many USB ports, SD cards, component/compisite inputs, but i'm just talking about the display quality. I never use those (except USB ports) anyway.

arng1
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2006, 08:54 PM

Both are very good. In my opinion you wont see much of a difference.

indigoimac
Senior User
Dec 30, 2006, 10:12 PM

To the best of my knowledge the 24" iMac shares its panel with dell's 2407, though slightly enhanced, in other words the 24" iMac's display is on-par if not better than your current display.

Also w/ the iMac the USB ports are on the computer which is the display so that's kinda moot, lol.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 31, 2006, 12:52 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they were the same LCD panel.
Apple's 20" Cinema Display and Dell's 2005FPW used the same 20" panel from LG.

surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 05:19 PM

Just out of curiosity, why switch to the iMac? If you want the most cost-effective upgrade, just get the newest Mini and keep your big Dell monitor. By the time Leopard is out, the Minis will probably have the core 2 chips.

Gordio  (op)
Dec 31, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by surfacto View Post
Just out of curiosity, why switch to the iMac? If you want the most cost-effective upgrade, just get the newest Mini and keep your big Dell monitor. By the time Leopard is out, the Minis will probably have the core 2 chips.
I currently use a mini. My main beef is it's not strong enough; HD movies barely runs; it is only smooth if absolutely nothing else is running. Theres also no Video card. The integrated card is a good value, but i"m not poor so I don't think I shuld settle for high value.

Here are many reasons why I'm switching:
1) dust. I live in the basement, so dust cumulates fast. The mini's easier to clean than my desktop PC, but I realized it wouild be easier if i went a step further w/ an imac
2) imac looks nicer than my dell monitor. Also, it has a webcam
3) imac is fast.
4) Some pc-only softare I need to use. Some (and very few) games on windows I want to play, like half life 2 portals. But mainly Paintshop, which i like omre than photoshop for what I do, and a game editor called multimedia fusion,which I loved using for several years of my life. MMF2 came out this year, and I missed out on using it. )I can now, cuz I have bootcamp) . And I want horsepower for those PC applications
5) I have all these third party keyboard, mouse, monitor. I think if its all considated in an all-mac one piece object, it'll feel nicer. I used to think looks don't matter, but I spend most of my home time on a computer, and I think it'll feel pleasant and more peaceful if it looks nicer
6) I'm not poor. I can afford the 24 incher. I'll sell my mini to my cousin, who uses this very outdated toshiba laptop. My monitor i'll give to my dad. It'll be good for dvd watching, or if he wants to watch tv (since standard TV inputs plugs through the back)
( Last edited by Gordio; Dec 31, 2006 at 07:03 PM. )

Gordio  (op)
Dec 31, 2006, 07:01 PM

double post
( Last edited by Gordio; Dec 31, 2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: double post)

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 31, 2006, 07:21 PM

Gordio-

Congrats on the reasonable thinking and well worded post. That will get you nowhere around here, mister. *grins*

Sounds like you know exactly what you want, and I agree with much of what you said about the overall 'experience'. The 2405 is a great display, but I'm pretty certain that the iMac will do just as well. You may also think (like I do occasionally) that there is an extra degree of 'smoothness' in the overall look of the Apple LCDs. I currently own two 20" Ultrasharp Dells (2001FP and 2005FPW) and love them, but I would not have a problem with swapping them both for an iMac (20"+) or an Apple display.

Other than the complete lack of extra inputs, but lets not get started on that discussion...

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2007, 06:15 PM

imac screens are very nice, but a little softer and easier on the eye than the ultrasharp dells you're used to (just as bright, it's more of a color/contrast difference).
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Forum Links
Forum Rules