Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 400, no startup

G4 400, no startup
miligo
Feb 25, 2002, 08:53 PM

We have a G4 400 here at my office that boots into open firmware. When we power the box on, we get a long tone, then the normal startup sound after a few seconds, then the machine goes right into open firmware. When we do a mac-boot, it hangs at an all grey screen.

We've replaced the memory, zapped the pram, reset the PMU, unplugged the drives, and tried to boot off of a CD(with the drives plugged in of course). Nothing is working.

Has anyone seen anything like this? It's driving us crazy!

Cipher13
Feb 25, 2002, 10:21 PM

Is it a Yikes!, a Sawtooth or a Mystic?

These machines have no PMU reset. Do you mean the CUDA P/NVRAM reset?

How did you reset the PRAM? Keyboard? Cuda? Open Firmware?

DayDream Believers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2002, 04:17 AM

How about the battery? In late model the CPU would hang up in the boot stage.

Tom

miligo  (op)
Feb 27, 2002, 03:07 PM

the machine is a Sawtooth, and we did remove the battery and reseat the CPU and still the problem persisted. Then it hit me, the long tone that it plays on startup is the same long tone when you update the firmware and boot holding the interrupt switch. On a whim we took the front panel assembly (on w/led, reset, interrupt) from my G4 500 and put it in the G4 400 and it booted no problem.

It seems that the interrupt switch is shorted or the whole assembly is bad. Thanks for everyone's help.

Darkness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2002, 02:02 PM

I actually have this problem and using a simple switch to the power pins did not seem to help...I wonder if I use a replacement front panel board, if that will help...hopefully it will...thanks for the idea

Darkness
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2002, 02:23 PM

Didn't work for me...tried using an old iMac keyboard to test whether there was a problem with the pins on the board...seems to be a bootROM problem, although the Apple Hardware Test tells me its fine...I could just set an nvscript to boot into Mac OS but I don't think of that as a solution:/

Forum Links
Forum Rules