Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Are VW/Audi reliabilty really that awful?

Are VW/Audi reliabilty really that awful?
kikkoman
Senior User
Jan 23, 2007, 12:02 PM

I really like Audi A3 and VW GTI. Interior and exterior styling are beautiful, especially on the Audi. I love the torquey engines. The whole "feel" of these cars just seems right but I'm afraid to take the plunge because of all the horror stories I've heard or read about.

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 12:04 PM

VW? Any unreliability I've heard for their cars is for stupid stuff like lamps, but as far as the automotive aspect, ok from people I've known.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 12:08 PM

Three people I know with Jettas have had problems with them recently.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 12:09 PM

Yea, in comparison to japanese cars. They have ignition problems, and power doohickey problems. I knew a guy who's GTI window fell into the car, passenger side. **** always brakes, and UNLIKE japanese car parts, you're paying for GERMAN ones, so the parts are quite expensive. This is why I'm avoiding any german car until I own a home. I'd avoid them, and look at something japanese instead.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 12:30 PM

My mom had a Golf. Horrible reliability. She sold it and got a Volvo Cross Country.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 12:39 PM

It once took me three months to get a door handle from the dealer for my Corrado. Around the same time, my friend had small, red hot drops of coolant shooting out of the vents when he turned the A/C on in his Golf. Very nice looking cars though, inside and out.

kikkoman  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
What kind of problems? Are these the type of issues that will leave me stranded on the road or the car undriveable? I've always bought Japanese cars, Honda in particular. No major mechanical problems with any of them. Although my first Civic had some eletrical issues and my third one had a check engine light that would come on for no reason at all.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 12:45 PM

My buddy with a jetta has had exhaust problems, window problems, and ignition problems. The exhaust broke, and sounded like a rice rocket with only 30,000 miles or so, the driver's window quit working, and I forget what happened with the ignition, but the car wasn't driveable.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 12:46 PM

I'm coming up on 200K miles on my 95 Jetta. I replaced the 'top end' on the engine in '04 but thats all I've done to it. I DO use Amzoil racing oil, and keep it up. The Clear coat sucks however.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 12:48 PM

http://www.weltzeituhr.com/reise/Pan...ich05_15-1.jpg

The table shows breakdowns per 1000 cars, and VW and Audio seem to score quite well.

zwiebel_
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 12:51 PM

I owned a 02 Passat for 4 years, never had a problem.
I also used to own a GTI (90, I believe) and it was quite reliable, apart from some minor things (water pump and coolant hose leak).

Now I've got a toyota, waiting patiently for the euro-diesels to arrive here.
..... ovdje se glasovi odljepljuju iz rijeći i niko nikoga niÅ”ta ne razumije.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
What kind of problems? Are these the type of issues that will leave me stranded on the road or the car undriveable? I've always bought Japanese cars, Honda in particular. No major mechanical problems with any of them. Although my first Civic had some eletrical issues and my third one had a check engine light that would come on for no reason at all.
Transmission on all three.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
I'm coming up on 200K miles on my 95 Jetta. I replaced the 'top end' on the engine in '04 but thats all I've done to it. I DO use Amzoil racing oil, and keep it up. The Clear coat sucks however.
My wife's accord has 250k, and the top end is fine. My subie has 200k, and the top end is fine. Why did you have to replace it?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
http://www.weltzeituhr.com/reise/Pan...ich05_15-1.jpg

The table shows breakdowns per 1000 cars, and VW and Audio seem to score quite well.
hahahaha. It's in GERMAN! No bias there! hahahah

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Speaking of bias...

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 01:16 PM

Yes. The electrical systems SUCK. I've never been stranded by my VW though -- the drive train is top notch. (2003 Golf TDI with 75k miles now)

If you can put up with replacing a glow plug, or taking it to the shop because your power window won't roll down, or that you have to remove a fuse to get the stereo to work again... then VW's are for you. I love mine, warts and all.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 01:23 PM

My wife's accord has 250k, and the top end is fine. My subie has 200k, and the top end is fine. Why did you have to replace it?
I drive my Jetta real hard. I used to travel twice a month from DC to Petersburg VA at 85+mph.
I drive 32 miles one way down the Fairfax County parkway at about 70 to go to work. I do drive over 200 miles to visit friend every few weeks too.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 01:25 PM

I drove my 83 Rabbit GTI really hard! had 125K on it when I got rid of it.
I had 147K on my 82 Jetta I bought new.
Looking at '04 Jetta Station Wagons now!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by DakarĀ² View Post
Speaking of bias...
I'm not biased. I like german cars. I just accept the fact that they are not reliable, and parts are really expensive for no reason.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 01:59 PM

I want a Jetta wagon TDI next time. What I really want is a Toureg TDI, but those are like $60k, which is just too much money for something that you drive around.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 01:59 PM

99.5 Jetta VR6 (MK4, prior model to current) 108K miles, still going strong.
3 MAF sensors
2 window regulators
catalytic converter
3 glove box doors (wtf)
serpentine belt
Ridiculously expensive parts (CC was about $900!). Other stuff was covered under an aftermarket warranty but the CC went right after the factory warranty expired. Of course. I strongly urge anyone to get an aftermarket warranty; it's paid for itself many times over for me.

I love German engineering and style. Build quality surpasses most Asian imports. But I think I've had it for awhile paying for the big buck parts from Deutcshland and will turn Japanese next time.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 02:01 PM

I think it's funny that all the VW owners are 'bragging' about having less than 150k on it. That's a joke. Do you guys even realize how basically every car made today can hit those miles, without much of a problem?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 02:03 PM

Yeah, but what kind of problems ?

I have a 2004 Jetta, and in three years, the only issue I had was with a fuse box that burned up. Got replaced by the dealership, no questions asked.

-t

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 02:04 PM

I've stated them. Ignition, electrical, and random **** like windows falling off the track and into the car.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 02:07 PM

Do you guys even realize how basically every car made today can hit those miles, without much of a problem?
Really, that must exclude Ford.

My wife's Ford (1999 Escrot ZX2) at 110k miles had multiple medium sized surgeries. Spend about $ 1,000 per year on repairs.

As far as my Jetta goes, I got a very good deal on extra warranty. So basically, I'm covered until 100k miles on anything. After that, we will see.

-t

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 02:10 PM

I'd sell it at 99k. Do you even know how my VW parts cost? It's ****ing insane. And no, fords run fine too, as long as you don't get a lemon. I knew a guy who drives for a living, and he put over 300k on his lincoln with original engine and tranny, same with his new mercury, which is at almost 200k.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 02:11 PM

I've stated them. Ignition, electrical, and random **** like windows falling off the track and into the car.
I have asked about Starman's problems, not yours. Yes, I can read.

But my point is: problems are different, and some are minor, some are major. I have had one minor problem, that's it. So I can't speak of bad experience.

LOL, take my boss, and his brand new Mercury Mariner. After a couple of days, the door handle came off. Going back to the dealership, he is told "Well, what did you expect ? You bought a Ford, not a Mrcedes". LOL.

-t

mindwaves
Jan 23, 2007, 02:15 PM

My roommate has an older Jetta with nothing but problems.
I saw a broken Jetta on the side of the freeway yesterday.
My friend got rid of his troublesome Passat last year for a more reliable G35 coupe.

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 02:16 PM

Transmission on all three.
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
-t
you better get your schooling money back then.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
you better get your schooling money back
Ah whatever, I start reading threads and posting in sequential order. I'm not reading the whole thread first. Yeah, crucify me.

-t

OreoCookie
Jan 23, 2007, 02:24 PM

Just because it is in German doesn't mean the statistics are skewed.

My family has had quite a few VWs ('81 Passat GTI, '89 Golf, '92 Golf). The '89 Golf was sold after a mechanic had `repaired' it. I had to give my '84 Golf away when I couldn't afford the service (just standard replacements, shocks, breaks, etc.). I cannot compare them to Japanese cars, but in Germany, Japanese cars aren't much cheaper than German cars. Corollas for instance are expensive on the used market, because they have a good reputation (the same goes for VWs).

So in my experience, they are quite reliable and by no means does the reliability come close to awful.

That said, I don't like the new Golf, the styling is not my style. I really like the new Passat, it's a really big car and can easily accomodate my mountain bike (if I had the money to buy one, that is ).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

brassplayersrockĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2007, 02:28 PM

Ah whatever, I start reading threads and posting in sequential order. I'm not reading the whole thread first. Yeah, crucify me.

-t
<snip>
( Last edited by brassplayersrockĀ²; Jan 23, 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: took down link to image of turtles request)

Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2007, 02:33 PM

Whats so funny?

nexus5

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by zwiebel_ View Post
Now I've got a toyota, waiting patiently for the euro-diesels to arrive here.
I dont think I'm going to buy a car until the euro-diesels are readily available in the States. 60 mpg on a turbo diesel is just too nice.

Until then, my 94 Toyota Pickup has had the clutch replaced and a new starter, but that's it. 150k miles on it almost. I plan to get another 150k on it before I have to get another car (or most likely a pickup.)
"ā€¦I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 23, 2007, 03:38 PM

But my point is: problems are different, and some are minor, some are major. I have had one minor problem, that's it. So I can't speak of bad experience.

LOL, take my boss, and his brand new Mercury Mariner. After a couple of days, the door handle came off. Going back to the dealership, he is told "Well, what did you expect ? You bought a Ford, not a Mrcedes". LOL.

-t
The irony of your story (which I doubt is true, if anybody at a ford dealership said that I'm sure they'd be fired), is that if ANY company is to be named for having door handle problems, it's going to be VW. VW door handles break all the time, in comparison to other makes. It's weird.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 03:49 PM

The irony of your story (which I doubt is true, if anybody at a ford dealership said that I'm sure they'd be fired), is that if ANY company is to be named for having door handle problems, it's going to be VW. VW door handles break all the time, in comparison to other makes. It's weird.
Well, I trust the story is true, my boss is not the creative person who just makes up things like that.

At any rate, I thought it was funny. And I had no door handle problems on my Jetta.

-t

finboy
Jan 23, 2007, 03:51 PM

Do you guys even realize how basically every car made today can hit those miles, without much of a problem?
If by "every car" you mean everyone except GM, Ford and Chrysler/Jeep, then yeah.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 04:04 PM

Most of the issues I read are getting crappy repairs done after the sale. I have a few excellent mechanics so My '95 Jetta still is around and kicking. I Do push it, and drive 'somewhat' over the speed limits when I can.* I think it's the way it feels when you are driving it that sells the "German Car". I am not impressed by any Asian car, and very few US designs.

* Keeping up with traffic.

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I dont think I'm going to buy a car until the euro-diesels are readily available in the States. 60 mpg on a turbo diesel is just too nice.
They've been available for years already.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ink View Post
They've been available for years already.
Through grey market, perhaps, but good luck finding a gas station that has refined diesel. It's only recently (as in about 3 months ago) that refined diesel is actually going on sale in the U.S.

I could be wrong, but I don't know of a single U.S diesel vehicle that gets 50 to 100 mpg.
"ā€¦I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

natural1
Jan 23, 2007, 05:28 PM

We've got three new VW MkVs in our family (GTI, Rabbit, Rabbit) with 30,000 combined miles and NO problems.

The new VWs are NOT comparable to the old MkIV style Golfs, which did have some significant reliability problems.

The Audi A3 is a sweet car - same chassis as my GTI with a different body. You should buy it and post pictures here!! Get the 3.2L AWD version and we'll all be droolin'

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2007, 05:36 PM

The 2007 diesel requirements are in effect now; and diesel vehicles sold this year must work only with low-sulfur fuel. They get the same mileage as other TDI vehicles though (generally from 40-55mpg). This is an environmental change, not a performance change.

Daimler has been talking about a diesel-hybrid that would get better than 70mpg in-city, but hasn't sold anything like that yet.

My TDI actually gets better mileage now than it did when I first bought it (clocked in at 47mpg on a trip to Yellowstone last summer). VW has pulled back support for TDI in the USA because of California's new emissions laws. They still have the Jetta, but no more Golf/Rabbit (and yes, I hate the look of the new model).

Rumor
Jan 23, 2007, 05:38 PM

My uncle has an 04 Audi A4 2.5 (0?)t. He hasn't had any problems with it. He even takes out at least once a month for a 150mph run (lives in Nevada).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2007, 06:00 PM

My buddy with a jetta has had exhaust problems, window problems, and ignition problems. The exhaust broke, and sounded like a rice rocket with only 30,000 miles or so, the driver's window quit working, and I forget what happened with the ignition, but the car wasn't driveable.

Do you know anybody that drives a school bus? If so, was it a long or short one?

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do you know anybody that drives a school bus? If so, was it a long or short one?
I do.

Short.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2007, 09:27 PM

We had a '94 Jetta turbodiesel for a while. It wasn't to bad. The power windows motors loved to die every 20,000 miles though. And it had an exhaust leak that stunk up the cabin and made it sound like it had a Power Stroke.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2007, 09:57 PM

I have a 2000 Jetta with 105k miles on it. The power windows, glove box, turn signal, brake light switch, o2 sensor, and all sorts of other miscellaneous stuff all have broken on it at least once. That model year Jetta has something like eight or nine outstanding recalls on it. It also burns about a quart of oil a month. (The folks at the VW forums say it is because one of the cylinder seals was put in upside down at the factory because the parts manufacturer stamped it incorrectly....)

But its' never left me stranded, and it's fun to drive, so I'm not ready to totally give up on German cars. Mabe by the time I buy the next car I'll be able to afford a nice BMW....

shiff
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 10:38 PM

I had an Audi A4 quatro awd for 7 years and never had a problem nor took it in for anything other then routine maintenance. I commuted 120 miles a day every day for 3 of those years and still no issues. And I truly mean nothing. Everything worked great and the interior was virtually flawless. The exterior was in very good shape considering how many road miles it hit.

The only reason I sold it was because I needed something bigger.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 23, 2007, 11:05 PM

I know a woman who works for the VW service parts distribution for this region.

She has told me that she will never own a VW.

There's far too much commonality on which parts fail on certain models and availability and pricing are horrendous. According to her.

Me, I like how a VW drives and feels, but... there are a lot of other good cars that are cheaper to own if you ask me.

LeftWingLock
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2007, 11:09 PM

I have a 2004 Passat and even though it only has about 18,000 miles on it I haven't had any problems with it at all. The only downside so far has been the $60+ synthetic oil changes
Half The People I Know Are Below Average

Forum Links
Forum Rules