Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > current state of original G5 GPUs

current state of original G5 GPUs
Dzokayi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2007, 10:35 PM

Guys, I need some information before making a decision. 2GHz rev. A Power Mac G5. Currently has the Nvidia 5200 64MB installed.

From what I've seen, a flashed ATI 9800 is the best bang for the buck.

GeForce 6800s are ridiculously expensive on ebay. Is there a flashed PC alternative for this also?

Is there anything else I should consider? WoW is the extent of my gaming, and none of my apps utilize the GPU.

What say ye? Thanks...

pcguy1
Jan 27, 2007, 12:59 AM

if Wow is the only game u do, save your money and keep the 5200, as lame as 5200 might be, iit should still do the job well enough for WoW. imo.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

Dzokayi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 30, 2007, 10:04 PM

Well, the 5200 can't handle WoW with everything turned up, so I need an upgrade. Nobody has a 6800 they want to let go on the cheap?

Dzokayi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2007, 10:36 PM

Okay, looks like flashed 9800 it is.

Zubir
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 1, 2007, 08:13 AM

Why not buy a PC Geforce 6800, and flash it? They're under $200 now. You can probably find out how to do it at strangedogs.com.

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2007, 01:33 AM

I think the 6800GT and 7800GS AGP cards would be good for your system and should be (relatively) easily flashable. Read up on strangedogs to see how the cards are done.

But the 9800 pro is super easy and super cheap these days and is probably 3-4 times faster than the 5200, so it's always a good option.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

JaxBnimbel
Baninated
Feb 14, 2007, 09:16 AM

You might want to avoid buying from one of their moderators though, the moderator Rubytuesday . He just changed his name to hide himself after ripping people off of thousands of dollars. The complaints are on Arstechnica and Maclife. Apparently, all of these people are having trouble getting their complaints heard because so many strangedogs members are on all of these forums. It looks like the strangedogs members & moderators have ganged up on these dozen or so people who all lost around $750 a piece to protect this guy "Ruby". And if you complain at Strangedogs, they ban you so obviously they don't care that people lost thousands of dollars. :-(

BigBadBiologist
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2007, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by JaxBnimbel View Post
You might want to avoid buying from one of their moderators though, the moderator Rubytuesday . He just changed his name to hide himself after ripping people off of thousands of dollars. The complaints are on Arstechnica and Maclife. Apparently, all of these people are having trouble getting their complaints heard because so many strangedogs members are on all of these forums. It looks like the strangedogs members & moderators have ganged up on these dozen or so people who all lost around $750 a piece to protect this guy "Ruby". And if you complain at Strangedogs, they ban you so obviously they don't care that people lost thousands of dollars. :-(

1. Nobody was suggesting to buy from the Strangedogs crew. The site has good info on converting cards.

2. Did you go around searching for old threads where strangedogs was mentioned just to post this stuff?

3. The moderators can't do anything about RT. They aren't protecting anyone. It is horrible that he did what he did, but he doesn't post there any more. So stop complaining about them, Mitch. You've made enough money off of them. You should be thankful.

4. That's the end of this rant. This is way off topic.
I love lamp! I love lamp...

Forum Links
Forum Rules