Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Linksys WPS54G

Linksys WPS54G
craigb6
Feb 2, 2007, 01:07 PM

Before everyone tells me to check this website out, I have and it doesn't work for me. I can print wirelessly, but the printer chucks out pages of rubbish (it will keep going until it runs out of paper!).

I have a Linksys WPS54G which I connect to my HP Deskjet 5552. I was fine on my Windows laptop, but then I switched to Mac. I can print fine when I plug the printer directly into my MacBook (I installed the PowerPC drivers (no Intel...) for the printer). I can also print using Windows in Parallels, but this is a pain, why should I have to boot into Windows to print wirelessly?

Does anyone know how I could get it to print properly? It might help by pointing the Print Utility to the HP drivers, as Generic Postscript Drivers are what it is using, but I'm not sure where they are located on the hard drive? There is an option in the web browser setup for the WPS54G for Appletalk, should this be enabled and how would I get it to work?

Thanks for reading this and any help you can give.
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 2, 2007, 01:12 PM

I think your problem is that the queue and port names need to be "LPT1" instead of "L1". Have you tried that? It's all about the printer system in the WPS, and how it's set up. In my experience, most such network devices (wired or wireless) expect to be used with Windows printers, and everything in Windows defaults to a port and queue name of LPT1. Give that a shot and let us know.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

craigb6  (op)
Feb 2, 2007, 02:00 PM

Thank you for the response, it was part of the solution. I changed the queue to LPT1 and this still did not work. I then though I'd try and fine some third party drivers, so I could point Mac OS X at the correct printer. I used the Gutenprint (formerly GIMP) drivers which worked. Thanks for your help ghporter!
MacBook 2.0GHz | 2GB RAM | 80GB HDD
http://craigb6.blogspot.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules