Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Videos skipping and acting odd

Videos skipping and acting odd
coincopy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 02:09 AM

Could this be a driver issue?

Specs: Powerbook 17'' 1.5GHz running 10.3.9

These are not videos played from a dvd but rather videos being played off the laptop. Some are rips from my dvd collection so I know its not an issue of quality etc. Any possible fix as this is very annoying.

Symptoms are freezing of the video, sometimes they will also fall out of sync. Sometimes it gets fuzzy unless you hit pause and play.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 07:20 PM

What are you using to play them? Does it happen with ALL video players, or just one? Did they ever work? What did you use to play them then?

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
What are you using to play them? Does it happen with ALL video players, or just one? Did they ever work? What did you use to play them then?
Usually happens with a .avi file in quicktime. I try it in DIVX player and the same thing happens.

.Bin movies usually are okay in VLC player.

''Nice Player'' doesn't play any of my files.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 08:06 PM

Your system shouldn't have a problem playing those files. Are you on AC or battery power when you do it?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Your system shouldn't have a problem playing those files. Are you on AC or battery power when you do it?
I'm on AC power.

Could it be a ram issue? I only have 512 and DO now that I think of it have a ton of apps open all the time.

Maybe I should test with no apps open

Will report back

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2007, 01:14 AM

What exactly do you mean that "''Nice Player'' doesn't play any of my files." - does it crash, report an error?

Re .avi in QT - all the time, or only sometimes? Have you checked that the processor is running full speed?

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
What exactly do you mean that "''Nice Player'' doesn't play any of my files." - does it crash, report an error?

Re .avi in QT - all the time, or only sometimes? Have you checked that the processor is running full speed?
Is there a way to adjust processor speed?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 11:43 AM

System Preferences>Energy Saver>Options* and pick Highest for the Processor Performance for the Power Adapter settings.

(Note, for others reading this, the ability to do this depends on the type of CPU you have in your Mac)

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2007, 01:05 PM

Nope still happens.

It's really hard to describe, there are flashes of green and it is as if the movie is stuck it will play a half a second clip over and over, it will be sped up so the movement is very fast. Then it goes fuzzy and if you press pause then play, everything is normal once again.

Rediculous..

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2007, 06:01 PM

Try using VLC or MPlayer - I have had issues with some DVDs where they wouldn't play back very well in DVD player but worked fine in VLC/MPlayer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules