Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Adding the AP w/ n to my network

Adding the AP w/ n to my network
tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2007, 11:13 PM

I currently have an AP extreme, the last generation before the antenna port, that is connected to my DSL router; the DSL router is the DHCP router, the AP extreme is only the wireless. I also have a airport express on the other side of the house that is a WDS bridge and a print sever. I needed this as a WDS bridge since my house is old and filled with metal chicken wire behind the plaster, and all my neighbors have wireless routers too. The express is placed in a strategic spot, the only place on the other side of the house with a clear line of sight through two rooms to the the AP extreme, thus giving my house a solid wireless g connection everywhere. As you can see in my signature I currently have several mac laptops with wireless cards ranging from b to n (with the enabler)

I just received the new AP extreme with n and am messing around with the setup. I am tempted to set up a dual band system, but thought I would ask for other people's advice. Are there any pitfalls i should be aware of. Such as not putting the g and n AP's next to each other becuase they cause interference? Or, ther eis some donside I am over looking, since the dual band suystem seems like the best of all words, getting the max wireless speed from all my computers.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

tinkered  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2007, 08:55 PM

I did it. It works great.
( Last edited by tinkered; Feb 9, 2007 at 02:03 PM. )

MrN79
Forum Regular
Feb 9, 2007, 04:36 AM

I just finished setting my wireless up with almost the exact same hardware ("N" extreme, "G" extreme with antenna port, and express as bridge)

I'm loving it! The 2 Macs downstairs are getting around 4400kbps which didn't change, the "N" only MPB is getting around 5100kbps.

And you're right, it works great!
13" MB, 2.0, 80HD, Glossy
15" PB 1.5, 100HD, Matte
15" MBP C2D, 2.33, 160HD, Glossy

tinkered  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 9, 2007, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the reply. Thanks for the numbers.

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2007, 03:57 PM

How did you go about connecting the routers? I have a Linksys pushing a g network, and and looking to the the airport extreme for the n. If I were to leave the network as it is would I put a crossover from a wired port on the linksys to the WAN or a wired port on the AE? And then does the AE take the DHCP info from the linksys or do i set it up to do DHCP on a different sub-network? Thanks guys.

Forum Links
Forum Rules