Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Monitor or HDTV?

Monitor or HDTV?
rhodesy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 03:27 PM

Hi all,

I am just about to splash out on a new display and I need some help.

Basically I need to know whether to get a HDTV or a monitor.

I have a macbook pro that I like to play games on.
I also want to be able to watch blu-ray/hd-dvd films when I buy a player.

What benefits does each have over each other?

Thanks

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2007, 03:40 PM

monitors are designed to be looked at a couple of feet away while tv's are best looked at from across the room. i only mention this because too many people forget this distinction.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
monitors are designed to be looked at a couple of feet away while tv's are best looked at from across the room. i only mention this because too many people forget this distinction.
Technically speaking - what si the reason for this?

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2007, 04:54 PM

compare the 30" Apple LCD monitor to a 32" LCD TV.

2560 x 1600 pixels (optimum resolution) = Apple 30" LCD

1680x1050 Apple 20" LCD (~1080P HDTV standard)

Most LCD TVs do not display 1680x1050 then consider you also have a TV that is 32" or greater. =Most TV have a lower resolution than a 17-20" LCD Monitor = Fine looking at it far away, but close up it is not good.

If you find a LCD TV that has a similiar resolution to the Apple 30" LCD monitor = your LCD TV could work well as a computer monitor. A 1080p LCD TV that is only 20-24" may work well as a computer monitor. Do not buy a 42" LCD/plasma with low resolution and expect to use it for a computer monitor.

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by badsey View Post
compare the 30" Apple LCD monitor to a 32" LCD TV.

2560 x 1600 pixels (optimum resolution) = Apple 30" LCD

Most LCD TVs do not display 1680x1050 then consider you also have a TV that is 32" or greater. =Most TV have a lower resolution than a 17-20" LCD Monitor = Fine looking at it far away, but close up it is not good.

If you find a LCD TV that has a similiar resolution to the Apple 30" LCD monitor = your LCD TV could work well as a computer monitor. A 1080p LCD TV that is only 20-24" may work well as a computer monitor. Do not buy a 42" LCD/plasma with low resolution and expect to use it for a computer monitor.
Just the answer I needed, thanks! Do you know of any monitors with hdmi/hdcp? (Im not 100% up on the hdcp so forgive me if that's a stupid question)

Thanks

ecking01
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2007, 06:48 PM

I don't agree a 1366x768 screen (which is what most under 42" hdtvs are) looks fine as a monitor. Obviously the pixels are bigger but it's not much of a problem. A LOT of people do this.

It's completely bareable especially if your getting something in the 26-32" range. If you use a wireless keyboard and mouse and sit a big further away it's even better.

It makes sense for you because you obviously expressed interest in using it as a tv, which means you won't be sitting with your nose against it all the time.

Depending on the room you want to put it in, I'd op for a good 26" panel, great size of for a computer monitor and if it's a smaller room great size for a tv and there's a lot out there at good prices.

I've got a friend that does this and loves it, I'm jealous and doing the same thing soon.

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 07:01 PM

Well I would get a 1080 one for the higher resolution, but as you say, that's usually only with bigger tv's.

I used to have the 23" apple display running at 1920 x 1200 - which was very nice to use. Sadly the Apple Displays are not hdcp enabled.

I really I want a ~30" display at around 1920 x 1200 (so 1080p or i is fine) that is hdcp enabled for watching hd-dvd's and will also be good to use as a gaming display (For CS and BF).

I would also prefer it to have a hdmi cable rather than a dvi - i realise apples have dvi outs but DVI is fading.

Any ideas? And yes it's a small room.

Thanks very much for your help btw

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 07:08 PM

I think I've foiund the one for me - unless I can find a 32" model.
BenQ United Kingdom - Computing
I like the picture in picture feature too!

rhodesy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2007, 08:05 PM

After doing a bit of research I found that these were the best tv's for what i want

Sharp LC37XD1E (UK)

Sharp LC-42D62U(USA)

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2007, 03:25 AM

I bought the Acer AL2616W today and I'm loving it so far. I looked at on display model at London Drugs and went to pick it up a couple hours ago. The monitor displayed in it's native resolution of 1920X1200 through DVI right away when I connected it to my 15" MBP.

I paid 999.98 CAD+Taxes because it was an impulse buy. I could have got a better deal from NCIX but I wanted it now.

I had thought about getting a 23" Apple Cinema display but this was a better deal IMO. It is 26 instead of 23" and a hundred Canadian cheaper.

It also supports HDCP so you could use it with HDDVD/Blueray players or the PS3 with an HDMI to DVI cable.
( Last edited by aristotles; Feb 17, 2007 at 08:11 PM. )
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Feb 17, 2007, 04:50 AM

I was also thinking that having a 30" display for both computer work and film viewing would be great.

I don't know why, but LCD computer monitors never seem to reach the image quality of a TV when playing back a movie.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 17, 2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
I was also thinking that having a 30" display for both computer work and film viewing would be great.

I don't know why, but LCD computer monitors never seem to reach the image quality of a TV when playing back a movie.
That would be because monitors generally have significantly higher resolution than TVs. If you hook up your computer to an HDTV capable of 720p and 1080i, movies will look much better because they're designed for that resolution. Not only that, but standard DVDs are produced in 480p and played on DVD players that (unless you get an upconversion model) play at 480p. This is a much lower resolution than your computer monitor. LCD monitors aren't designed foremost for watching DVDs and downloaded movies - they're designed for precision video capability so that things like tiny fonts and digital pictures look fantastic on them.

If you're in school and only have room for one thing in your dorm, for instance, you're going to find that a computer monitor is a lot more multipurpose than a regular TV or even a high-end 1080p HDTV. Until TVs - and movies - are made for super high resolution displays, monitors and TVs just won't be interchangeable the way we'd like them to be.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 17, 2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by badsey View Post
The 23" ACD (1920x1200) is much closer to 1080p (1920x1080).

I'd recommend the 24" Dell LCD, which has a bunch of inputs including HDCP support on the DVI input.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 18, 2007, 08:21 PM

I've tried out the Acer LCD with an HDMI to DVI adapter and my HighDef Sony DV camera was able to output 1080i just fine. I have not tested it with my upscaling DVD player yet.

I've heard that there are some Receivers/Amps with a built-in Faroudja scaler and the full 1080p Sony LCDs TVs that I've been looking at have crappy scalers for analogue signals. What do you guys think about getting a Dell 30" LCD + a receiver with a scaler instead of a high end LCD TV?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules