Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Cube processor temp

Cube processor temp
yanges
Aug 29, 2001, 01:15 AM

hello everyone

does anyone know what 'normal' operating temperatures for a Cube? i got this cool thermograph from
http://www.kezer.net/thermograph.html

and was curious to see if it fairly accurate......

thanks

yanges

There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed. -Buddha
yanges

please help save our planet!
http://www.therainforestsite.com

Cube 450mhz, 20gb, 832mb ram,OSX.2.6, SoundSticks, 17"Apple Studio Display, iBot

stepson
Aug 29, 2001, 03:31 PM

I have a similar program for OSX, called thermodock, or similar. I believe if you read the specs for the G4, you'll see motorola says that reading the temperature in that way isn't 100% accurate, but its better than nothing.

After 'sleeping' all night, my cube wakes up at around 32-37C, normal is about 40C, and if working very hard (and it usually is under OSX) and if it hot in the room, i've seen it go as high as 52C.

yanges  (op)
Aug 29, 2001, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by stepson:
<STRONG>I have a similar program for OSX, called thermodock, or similar. I believe if you read the specs for the G4, you'll see motorola says that reading the temperature in that way isn't 100% accurate, but its better than nothing.
</STRONG>
thanks stepson

i have seen the info on the temp varying when reading it, but like you said, it's better than nothing......

at least i have some kind of base temp and what i can see as a typical range of temp's to kinda keep an eye on things.....

yanges
yanges

Cube 450mhz, 20gb, 832mb ram,OSX.2.6, SoundSticks, 17"Apple Studio Display, iBot

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 30, 2001, 09:24 PM

I'm using Thermograph. My highest temp on record is stepson's norm: 105 F (40.6 C). This was an especially hot day when the air conditioning just wasn't keeping up.

My usual is about 91 F (32.8 C) running OS 9.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Han's Hands on Leia
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2001, 12:05 AM

Mine is at 46 when I use it all day. I have a 7200 RPM drive in it also.

"I thought they smelt bad on the outside."

yanges  (op)
Aug 31, 2001, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Han's Hands on Leia:
<STRONG>Mine is at 46 when I use it all day. I have a 7200 RPM drive in it also.</STRONG>
my Cube runs the same.....46c [114f ] on average......but i have the 5400rpm drive......

yanges
yanges

Cubester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2001, 01:14 PM

My Cube is running at 116 F now (43 C, 316 K). It's always hotter when the modem is running. It often peaks at 131 F when doing long downloads. That temp worries me, so I've hooked up a tiny fan behind the cube, blowing air into the back opening and up through the vents. It brings the temp down to 80 - 87 F, even on the hottest day.

yanges  (op)
Sep 2, 2001, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by cube-dude:
<STRONG>I'm using Thermograph. My highest temp on record is stepson's norm: 105 F (40.6 C). This was an especially hot day when the air conditioning just wasn't keeping up.

My usual is about 91 F (32.8 C) running OS 9.</STRONG>
hey Cube-Dude

do you know what the safe operating temperature parameters are for the Cube's G4 processor? all i can find in AppleSpecs is this:

Operating temperature: 10 degrees C to 35 degrees C

that shows what temp you can use Cube in, but not the processor operating temp range??

any ideas on that anyone??

[ 09-02-2001: Message edited by: yanges ]
yanges

capone
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2001, 03:56 PM

Wow, you fanless guys are running pretty cool. My G4/400 Tower runs at 94F normally.

Visit MacNETv2, where you can voice all your Mac opinions freely.

yanges  (op)
Sep 2, 2001, 04:59 PM

Originally posted by capone:
<STRONG>Wow, you fanless guys are running pretty cool. My G4/400 Tower runs at 94F normally.</STRONG>
i guess i am doing pretty well running w/o a fan on my Cube then....i run a little hotter, but not much......

yanges

yanges  (op)
Sep 13, 2001, 08:52 PM

here are updated temperature readings in various states:

Cold start:

room temp - 82� f
Cube temp - 69� f

Awaken from light sleep:

room temp - 80� f
Cube temp - 105� f

Awaken from deep sleep {disk spun down}

room temp - 75� f
Cube temp - 69� f

mine runs 98� f - 113� f in general use and spikes up as high as 134� f when using many apps at once.....

seems pretty good as a G4/400 owner runs at 94� f with a fan.....

yanges

You are the mental projection of your digital self.........Morpheus

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: yanges ]
yanges

bokubob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2001, 12:27 AM

Cold start:
room temp - 82� f
Cube temp - 69� f
Awaken from deep sleep {disk spun down}
room temp - 75� f
Cube temp - 69� f

I wonder at these temperatures, as the concept of the computer (when off) being colder than the ambient room temperature..... I'm not real big into thermodynamics, but I'm thinking that if there isn't something actually cooling the cube, this is not correct.

-Jonathan

<old_timer>
Sep 19, 2001, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by bokubob:
<STRONG>I wonder at these temperatures, as the concept of the computer (when off) being colder than the ambient room temperature.....</STRONG>
Yes, it does sound ridiculous (though not totally inconceivable - the Cube's "chimney system" does in fact act like a fan, and fans can get temperatures of objects cool, which is why people use them in summer to cool themselves - the G4 might have to sweat though!)

What is probably going on is that the sensor is uncalibrated - Motorola indicates that the microprocessor temperature reading is not an entirely accurate one.

Time to stick a rectal thermometer into a Cube...

Forum Links
Forum Rules