Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting video from MBP to the TV

Getting video from MBP to the TV
schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2007, 01:12 PM

Okay, I've done a search and I'm still confused! I went into the Apple store in London and asked this question but they said it was not possible (they were trying to sell me Apple TV)

I want to view video content on my TV. Nt iTunes content (otherwise I'd buy Apple TV) but normal content such as DVDs and quicktime movies.

I have an MBP and run Tiger. My TV has scart inputs and and S-Vieo input. I used to use an S Video lead to connect my old PB but that has disappeared from the MBP.

So can someone help me with the exact cables/connectors I need to get video onto the TV? I need a cable length of about 2 meters if possible.

I've looked on the Apple store online and there are so many options and I'm confused!

Thanks.

Michael

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 18, 2007, 02:13 PM

First (and only) hit in the Apple store for "macbook pro svideo":

Apple DVI to Video Adapter

Use the DVI to Video Adapter to connect the DVI port on a Mac Pro (with ATI X1900 XT), MacBook Pro, or Mac mini to any S-video or Composite enabled device.

(emphasis mine)

edit: weird, the UK store has another hit for some Miglia product... you want the 15 quid adapter: Apple Store - U.K. - Apple DVI to Video Adapter

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2007, 01:12 AM

I concur. The DVI to S-video/composite video adapter is what you are looking for. I have one and it does exactly what you want. What I do not understand is why the Apple Store did not point you to the solution that is explicitly mentioned on the specs for the MacBook Pro?
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

schuey100  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 04:59 AM

Great, thanks to you both, I'll put in an order for it. It's crazy that the Apple store wouldn't offer any solution past Apple TV. I wonder if they're under instructions to push it hard and therefore not given alternate solutions? For someone to say that it's not possible is ridiculous. It's a lie and very disappointing to get that kind of advice. Maybe the guy was just incompetent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules