Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > MacHome Magazine?

MacHome Magazine?
missingbite
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 06:36 PM

Do any of you subscribe to this magazine. I do and have not received the July issue. Nor can I get customer service to answer the phone. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks
Gavin

Benton
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2006, 03:35 PM

I found this link dated 22 June 2006 claiming macHome magazine closed its doors. I do not know how authoritative this is. I did not receive my July copy either. Customer 800 # goes unanswered.
http://baconsblog.typepad.com/media_...e_closes_.html
http://kepler.ss.ca.gov/corpdata/Sho...umber=C2276591
( Last edited by Benton; Jul 28, 2006 at 04:14 PM. )

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 28, 2006, 03:48 PM

So what happens if you just paid for a year subscription? Screwed?

"Hello, what have we here?

missingbite  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 08:38 PM

I paid for 2 years and not even an e-mail explanation. Oh well.

Gavin

Benton
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2006, 03:05 AM

How can a mac event such as macHOME magazine discontinue publishing without comment from any mainstream mac news outlet. Don't the movers and shakers have any contacts within the mac publishing industry who can and will report what happened and how will subscribers be treated. I'm unaware of any employees posting any where online. Don't you think they might be disgruntled and willing to vent their unemployment frustrations? Why is publisher Kevin Octavio such an unknown and invisible persona? Didn't he circulate at all in the mac publishing world? How dare Kevin Octavio disregard subscribers without any notification and why are the advertisers mute? Hear us advertisers? Tens of thousands of subscribers deserve an explanation.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2006, 07:36 AM

I don't know. I never really liked that magazine to begin with. I used to like Macworld, but it has gone down the toilet, too. Just go to Barnes and Noble and look for the UK edition of Macworld and also the one called MacFormat, also from the UK. Well worth the price, imho.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 09:58 AM

It was a magazine for very inexperienced users. Wasn't bad just bla.

I agree that the UK publications are way way better than any western ones. But heck, who reads magazines anymore anyway?

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2006, 10:53 AM

I agree that the UK publications are way way better than any western ones.
The UK is not the West?

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2006, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Trygve
The UK is not the West?

I guess they will always be west to someone.

Benton
Forum Regular
Aug 21, 2006, 03:48 PM

File BBB Complaint re MacHome Magazine

For those MacHome magazine subscribers who are disenchanted and would like to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, as I did, here is a very convenient link to follow. Scroll down the page and look at Benton's second comment.

http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.ph...s_publication/

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 21, 2006, 03:59 PM

At one point in time, I liked MacAddict, but they started falling apart a few years back. I really enjoyed it when they took the computers apart or really messed with the OS... I think a nice journal could do well, but it's a difficult market when we all have the internet.

Salty
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 04:01 PM

After I started reading MacNN I saw no reason to continue with my subscription to MacWorld. Back in the day of the OS X beta I used to buy MacAddict now and again. Currently the only mag I somewhat regularly read is Men's Health.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
At one point in time, I liked MacAddict, but they started falling apart a few years back.
I though they started to fall apart after broadband became popular and the one major advantage MacAddict had (the CD) became irrelevant.

nerd
Senior User
Aug 21, 2006, 05:41 PM

I actually like MacAddict better then Mac World, enough so that I kept my subscription to MacAddict and canceled the other.

One magazine I just tried and only have my first issue of is MacTech. They only have a few articles but they are in depth. One from this month is making a GUI for AppleScript using xCode. The good kind of how-to's I like so I can learn instead of reading one more review about digital cameras.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2006, 06:01 PM

I used to be an avid MacAddict reader, but like most people I get my information from the net, heck by the time the magazine hits my mailbox its already out of date. Plus as Mitchell said, it was really cool when they took them apart and tried different things, once they changed they tried to be like MacWorld.

I don't know why but the english publications are by far superior and I'll buy them from time to time.
Michael

Rumor
Aug 21, 2006, 06:28 PM

I just checked out the MacTech website to see if I can score a free issue. I then click on the link and got a surprise.
https://www.mactech.com/phpq/fillsurvey.php?sid=48
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor
I just checked out the MacTech website to see if I can score a free issue. I then click on the link and got a surprise.
https://www.mactech.com/phpq/fillsurvey.php?sid=48

almost free, you still got to pay $10.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

gvindigni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2006, 09:45 PM

I'm also a subscriber to MacHome through March 2008 and have not received an issue since June of this year. (I admit I'm a novice to the Mac/Apple world, having just switch from the P.C., so the magazine helped me.) I also called the customer service number and it just rings and rings with no answer. Has anyone got more information on what happened and is there a state agency we can file a complaint with (such as the State Attorney General's Office) rather than just the Better Business Bureau? I'm not sure that they can be of any help. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

George

Rumor
Aug 21, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
almost free, you still got to pay $10.
Sponsered by Microsoft.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Benton
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by gvindigni
I'm also a subscriber to MacHome through March 2008 and have not received an issue since June of this year. (I admit I'm a novice to the Mac/Apple world, having just switch from the P.C., so the magazine helped me.) I also called the customer service number and it just rings and rings with no answer. Has anyone got more information on what happened and is there a state agency we can file a complaint with (such as the State Attorney General's Office) rather than just the Better Business Bureau? I'm not sure that they can be of any help. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

George
To:George aka:
gvindigni,
I'm waiting for responses from the BBB and US Postal Service. As soon as I hear anything I'll share it with you and the other 40,000 plus subscribers.

Benton

gvindigni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2006, 02:08 PM

Benton,

Thanks. I was also thinking of contacting the CA Department of Consumer Affairs and lodging a complaint.

George

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 22, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Landos Mustache
It was a magazine for very inexperienced users. Wasn't bad just bla.

I agree that the UK publications are way way better than any western ones. But heck, who reads magazines anymore anyway?
Yeah, MacHome was great for Mac noobs. But laking a ton for your average pro.

-Owl

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 22, 2006, 08:05 PM

I still think some of them are useful. I really liked it when they tested out a big system (like smart homes, etc. etc.) and gave a comprehensive [well written] overview of the pros and cons... but they just are too far and few between. The benchmarks are cool, but usually a few months behind the times. I also like it when they really dissect an application... and give a bunch of hidden features.

I also like reading some of the interviews... somehow very few online publications have good interviews.

That being said, I don't miss any print publications.

vander53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2006, 06:42 AM

I also reported this situation to the BBB. What a frustrating experience, calling the 800 number and listening to it just ring. I even tried the executive offices, and all their mailboxes were "full" so couldn't leave a message. I can't believe they have just walked away and there has been nothing written anywhere about this. I understand that most of you seem to be technical people, and so Machome didn't offer you anything. However, those of us out here who just enjoy using the Mac on a daily basis enjoyed many of the articles. I have even attempted to read the British magazine - wow! It is beyond me. I guess I will have to get my information online, since print media seems to be hurting, but it just isn't the same.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by vander53
I can't believe they have just walked away and there has been nothing written anywhere about this.
If they went bankrupt that is usually what happens. You won't see any of your money back and technically they owe you nothing.

Benton
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2006, 01:19 PM

USPS reports no word from publisher per requirements to notify USPS when a change occurs. I have yet to learn if violation has any consequences. Next step is to contact significant owners listed once per year in December edition. As of this writing no word from BBB. I keep trying.

vander53
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 08:16 PM

I don't expect to get my money back. I just wonder why we have still not read anything about the magazine's demise - and where is Kevin Octavio, and the rest? Are they in hiding? Wouldn't you think that he and the other editors, contributors, etc. went to some other magazine, or online?

jrbiker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 01:53 PM

Tis a sad situation that MacHome pulled this stunt. It makes one wonder about the longevity of the other quality MAC publications. If enough Subscribers went after a refund, perhaps the true story would be revealed---by Kevin, MacWorld or MacLife.
BBB is ineffective as an enforcement arm--they can, if they choose, only advise if an organization has a bad record. The Consumer Protection Agency of your State’s Attorney General’s Office is the place to file a complaint. It’s a simple matter over the net. Question to you legal minds: Since funds are being moved accross State lines, does that make this scam a Federal matter?

Benton
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2007, 01:20 AM

macHome employees:
Kevin Octavio - President/Publisher
Thomas Miller - Art Director
Amy R Wood - Executive Editor
Colin Mills - Associate Editor
Chris McVeigh - Editor at Large
Michael Polce - Editorial Intern
Casey Radomsky - Circulation Manager

Contributors:
John Brandon
Rafi Guroian
Carol s Holzberg, Phd
Collin Keefe
Michelle A Lemire
Theano Nikitas
Steve Paris
Randall Polliard
Markkus Rovito
Richard Turgeon

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 05:53 PM

Did we really need to revive this thread?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Did we really need to revive this thread?
Was your response really justified?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by CheesePuff View Post
Was your response really justified?
Is Demonhood really not going to lockinate® this thread?

gvindigni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 04:12 PM

What is the status of MacHome magazine? Has anyone found out what happened and can we get our money back?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by gvindigni View Post
What is the status of MacHome magazine? Has anyone found out what happened and can we get our money back?
AFAIK they are gone for good. If they went bankrupt you can kiss any refunds goodbye.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 20, 2007, 05:55 PM

If you paid by credit card, call your credit card company. They could put the screws to the merchant bank and give you a partial refund.

Benton
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 10:58 AM

If you want your money back from MacHome then contact that person at his home.
Don't ever post addresses and phone numbers of other members. OreoCookie
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Feb 21, 2007 at 02:45 PM. )
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

Benton
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2007, 04:04 PM

To: Moderator OreoCookie,
If you choose to admonish me, will you please provide a working link so I might refresh my memory about the forum rules. Especially regarding the issue of assessed points and expiration thereof. Also, how is it possible to identify a person as a MEMBER of the forum about which we are not supposed to report information that is in the public domain? Keep in mind the person I referenced, in regard to another forum member's concern, has committed a fraudulent act, stealing subscription fees from many thousands of macHome magazine subscribers.
STEVE JOBS: Where is my APPLE Rewards Visa Card? Other LOYALISTS have SONY Rewards Visa Card: DISNEY Rewards Visa Card: ESPN Rewards Visa Card!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Benton View Post
To: Moderator OreoCookie,
If you choose to admonish me, will you please provide a working link so I might refresh my memory about the forum rules. Especially regarding the issue of assessed points and expiration thereof. Also, how is it possible to identify a person as a MEMBER of the forum about which we are not supposed to report information that is in the public domain? Keep in mind the person I referenced, in regard to another forum member's concern, has committed a fraudulent act, stealing subscription fees from many thousands of macHome magazine subscribers.
First off, it is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations of the forum. You acknowledge that when you sign up.

Second, the forum rules are linked at the top of every primary page, here is the link to the rules posted in the lounge.
http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge...dated-2006-08/

Also, it is apparent that you don't understand the concept of bankruptcy. If MacHome filed for bankruptcy... you are entitled to nothing and may be breaking the law by contacting the people you posted above. MacHome (the business) is where you sent the money... they deposited the checks. No person has ever owed you money from the MacHome subscription.

If my company went bankrupt, and you started calling me every month, I'd turn you over to the police.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2007, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by gvindigni View Post
They just printed their first issue.

Benton
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 04:18 PM

mitchell_pgh.
Are you speaking on behalf of moderator OreoCookie? I am not soliciting snide comments to my bon fide questions. I followed the link you posted and it did not address clarification of the specific questions I posed. The link suggested questions be posted in the forum so others may benefit from my experience and it also states private messages should also be used. So which is it? Also, macHome magazine did NOT declare bankruptcy.

Benton
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2007, 04:33 PM

What magazine are you referring to? macHome magazine is NOT published anymore. I'd welcome any word about future publication if you have advance information.
Thank you

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2007, 06:37 PM

What magazine are you referring to? macHome magazine is NOT published anymore. I'd welcome any word about future publication if you have advance information.
Thank you

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 23, 2007, 09:20 PM

You mean Mac|Life, formerly MacAddict?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 23, 2007, 09:21 PM

Thank you
Oh for some reason I was thinking MacLife. Sorry.

Forum Links
Forum Rules