Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help! .Mac/iDisk syncing troubles.

Need help! .Mac/iDisk syncing troubles.
nickhos38
Feb 24, 2007, 10:28 PM

Where to begin...

2 problems:

1. Right now, that testy little app called MirrorAgent is preventing my computer from shutting down unless I force quit the app.

2. In addition, I cannot turn on iDisk syncing under .Mac in System Preferences.

I have a .Mac Family Pack. Under my Mac OS X login on my Powerbook G4 running 10.4.8, I tried to change to .Mac user in order to access my wife's iDisk. So, I entered my wife's .Mac account information under .Mac in System Preferences. Long story short, the whole system (my computer and .Mac) didn't like the change.

So, I immediately removed my wife's .Mac account information and re-entered my account information under .Mac in System Preferences. Since then, I started experiencing the above-described problems.

Note: I have two accounts on this computer. The iDisk syncing (for my wife's iDisk) under the other account works fine. It is only under my main account where I made the change that iDisk syncing won't seem to turn on (for my iDisk). Both login accounts have admin privileges.
( Last edited by nickhos38; Feb 27, 2007 at 11:37 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2007, 12:13 AM

I had a problem a while back where all the tabs in the .mac pref pane were unresponsive, and when I looked at activity in the console, SyncServices was crashing every time I tried to access the tabs. I did some digging and found the folder ~/Library/Application Support/SyncServices and began deleting files out of there, until I hit the one that was causing the crash. Wish I could remember which file exactly it was, but it's been a while. At any rate, I had to re-register the computer with .mac, but it's worked from then on.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

nickhos38  (op)
Feb 25, 2007, 02:46 AM

The SyncServices folder!?!!?!

What about this: Mac OS X 10.4: Stay away from the SyncServices folder

I'm willing to back things up before I go trudging around in there... but is that my only option?

nickhos38  (op)
Feb 27, 2007, 08:01 PM

The problems are DEFINITELY related.

I opened up Activity Monitor (a great troubleshooting utility that I often forget about). In Activity Monitor, I selected to force quit MirrorAgent. As expected, the Mirror Agent immediately opened itself up again. (For anyone interested, I discovered, in troubleshooting this issue, that by deleting the MirrorAgent preferences file in your Home Folder Library, you *may* be able to prevent MirrorAgent from starting-up when you login.)

After MirrorAgent opened itself up again, I watched the MirrorAgent process closely in Activity Monitor as I selected "Start" for iDisk, syncing within the iDisk tab under the .Mac preferences pane in System Preferences. MirrorAgent immediately crashed (the process turned to a red font).

I still do not know what could have caused this problem in the first place, and I still do not have a solution...
( Last edited by nickhos38; Feb 28, 2007 at 12:25 PM. )

nickhos38  (op)
Feb 27, 2007, 11:47 PM

Problem(s) solved!

The solution: Trash the folder "Mirrors" in the Library under the Mac OS X user account. Restart.

Hope this helps others who may encounter similar problems...

Forum Links
Forum Rules