Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac memory upgrade

imac memory upgrade
bearcatrp
Senior User
Feb 28, 2007, 07:53 PM

Anyone with a iMac see any difference in performance when upgrading from 2gb to 3gb? I have a 24 inch iMac and contemplating the upgrade. Wish we good upgrade to 4gb.
Randy

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2007, 09:15 PM

If you are running a ton of programs and your activity monitor (under utilities) is showing a crappy idle of more than <50%. I would go for it.

use iStat Nano or iStat Pro and watch how much of the CPU you are using or what programs are using too much. I had the DashBoard clock using way too much? -Have no idea why, so I got rid of it. Watch your system closely.

iMac (Late 2006): Memory Specifications
Note: If you do install a 2 GB SO-DIMM in both the bottom and top memory slots of the computer, the About This Mac window and Apple System Profiler will both show that you have 4 GB of SDRAM installed. However, Activity Monitor and other similar applications will reveal that only 3 GB of SDRAM has been addressed for use by the computer.
You can upgrade to 4GB -but you only can use 3GB of it. (Mac people are so anal) My 20" iMac has only 1.5GB and with all the Widgets it can get slow.

pcguy1
Mar 1, 2007, 09:29 AM

Widget is a waste of your memory imo, will u open a bunch of your program in your application if u are only going to use it once in awhile.

A bunch of little program running become memory hog.
Do not settle for the world in shades of grey

Forum Links
Forum Rules