Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > The first .exe file I've seen work on a Mac

The first .exe file I've seen work on a Mac
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 03:26 AM

is. . . a Thawte email encryption certificate. It gets distributed with a .exe extension, but somehow Keychain Access is the known handler. Pretty cool. It's recommended that people encrypt their email when possible because unencrypted email is similar to sending everything out on post cards.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 7, 2007 at 04:05 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 7, 2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
is. . . a Thawte email encryption certificate. It gets distributed with a .exe extension, but somehow Keychain Access is the known handler. Pretty cool. It's recommended that people encrypt their email when possible because unencrypted email is similar to sending everything out on post cards.
Nice catch. I've also noticed that when I updated TurboTax, the updater files all have the .exe extension as well.

kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 09:35 AM

The extension ofcourse makes no difference on a mac. You could name any application .exe and it could still work fine. I didn't see any .exe files for the mac, but have often bumped into them on linux (for some weird reason).

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 10:22 AM

Yeah, it must have worked based on MIME encoding.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 07:40 PM

You've been able to open .exes on the mac for quite some time... Provided they were self-extracting archives and you had Stuffit.

Forum Links
Forum Rules