Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Modifing Quicksilver 733

Modifing Quicksilver 733
DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2002, 09:21 AM

I have a QS 733 tower and have been given an offer (by a parent) to swap a apple OEM superdrive in to it as well as swaping the nVidia GF 2mx that I have for the GF 4mx that is in the other tower. I know that the superdrive swap will work (it's been done by others) but can anyone think of why the graphics card swap might not work... I need to convince this parent...

Thanks!

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

miro7
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2002, 10:25 PM

If they are both OEM cards (which I gather they are), then everything should be fine. In your QS and the newer machines, the AGP slot is still 4x, so everything matches up. Go for it.
aimlessly wandering through the valley of the sun.

Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2002, 03:42 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
<strong>I have a QS 733 tower and have been given an offer (by a parent) to swap a apple OEM superdrive in to it as well as swaping the nVidia GF 2mx that I have for the GF 4mx that is in the other tower.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">make sure the other tower uses AGP 4X as well ...
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2002, 06:39 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pikachu_G4e�:
<strong>make sure the other tower uses AGP 4X as well ... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">FYI, based on info at EveryMac.com, it seems that any G4 that is 466 MHz or better has 4X AGP (excluding the single or dual 500 MHz models, which are older than the 466.)

<a href="http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/index.html</a>

<small>[ 06-30-2002, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: dn15 ]</small>

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2002, 11:15 AM

AFAIK, you can put a 4x AGP card in a 2x or 1x AGP slot, and it will work, just not to its full potential. I did this on my PC which has a 1x AGP slot, and put a 4x AGP card in it and its working just dandy.

DeathToWindows  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2002, 09:21 PM

Well... couldn't do the card... swapped optical drives... full success.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2002, 10:24 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by CheesePuff:
<strong>AFAIK, you can put a 4x AGP card in a 2x or 1x AGP slot, and it will work, just not to its full potential. I did this on my PC which has a 1x AGP slot, and put a 4x AGP card in it and its working just dandy.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I've been told that this doesn't work all the time. In some PC motherboards and video cards, the AGP slot must be able to deliver enough power to the card, otherwise the system becomes unstable. There are various cards that explicitly state the need for AGP2.0-compliance (4X/2X with FastWrite). On some cheap-o motherboards, certain video cards simply did not produce any image on screen upon boot up when plugged into AGP2x (pre-AGP2.0) boards.

Forum Links
Forum Rules