Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Poll : Tower, Right or Left side of Monitor?

Poll : Tower, Right or Left side of Monitor?
c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2001, 10:43 PM

I have a g4 tower and I may want to move tower for looks. I put my whole right arm and elbow on my table so i can use the mouse..

The tower is currently on the left side.
spam, this means nothing

bitfly
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2001, 11:04 PM

Oh god not on the LEFT side! You bastard! You are killing the whole non-left sided design of the tower!
Oh the humanity!

c0rvette  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 13, 2001, 11:18 PM

but my hand will smack my tower ..
spam, this means nothing

AirSluf
Senior User
Mar 13, 2001, 11:20 PM

If you move it back and forth fast enough you can get a really cool stereo effect from the fan noise!

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 15, 2001, 11:29 PM

Put it on the left. Mine is on the left, cause that's where people come in the door from, and the first thing they see is the G4. Just gotta move it a little to get inside.

------------------
The Mac Information Depot. Why go anywhere else?
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

brown monk
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2001, 11:36 PM

I actually 'hide' mine from the the public under my desk. When I sit the tower is to the right of my legs/feet. This is more convinient, say, for inserting a cd or starting up.
brown is sweeter
me_puter: outdated

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2001, 12:17 AM

I have mine beside my desk on the left.

Norm1985
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 12:28 AM

I have mine beside the left also.

------------------
Mac OS for productivity.
UNIX for stability.
Palm OS for mobility.
Windows for solitaire.

days until the revolution beings!

[email protected]
AIM: Norm1985

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2001, 12:35 AM

Let's see, my G3 B&W Tower is on the left, the B&W 17" display in front, an old beige 16" display to the right, and on the far right my PowerWave 604/132. I don't have to move the tower to get stereo fans, I already have stereo fans with both towers.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

machdreamer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2001, 03:24 AM

Three B&W G3 500s, all three on the desktop to my immediate left when I sit in front of each machine's respective SGI 1600sw monitor.

Left- it's the right thing to do.

md

Cipher13
Mar 16, 2001, 03:27 AM

Left
...and to the front, on the floor.
Easy access to the insides of that baby cause its not next to the desk - its further forward, next to me.

Very interesting pole...

Cipher13

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 03-16-2001).]

Allah
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2001, 04:14 AM

I have mine on the right 'cause I have a old 21" monitor (approx. 80+lbs.) that I want over the leg of the table. Come to think of it all my Macs are on the right of their monitors.
Carp� Bandwidth

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2001, 09:00 AM

On the left with my cd rack and burner then my monitor on the right a good set up if I turn my monitor just a little I can view DVD from my bed. The tower is on the left because its near the wall if it was on the right it would be ackward standing on the edge of my desk with my monitor over in the corner. It is still pretty sweet though

------------------
I Have a Super Computer

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

WillyB
Mar 16, 2001, 09:30 AM

Left... then external FireWire CDRW... then pen/pencil cup and notepaper basket... then ViewSonic GS790... then phone.
-- "Does Microsoft mean 'small & limp?'

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 09:41 AM

I had my G4 on the top of my desk on the right hand side. This was when I was transitioning from, my, um, peecee. I did have to leave a bit of room for my mousing area, coordless mouses are great. Then once the peecee hit the road, it went into the cubby hole on the left side of the desk, and I have my 6 bay SCSI tower on top of the desk also on the left side.

It's like 'machdreamer' said above, Left - It's the right thing to do...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 09:53 AM

G4 at home is to the right.
8500 at work is under the desk, it sounds like a 747 taxiing because of 10 additional fans to cool the processor and HD's.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 10:06 AM

Mine's on the right.

blue
Forum Regular
Mar 16, 2001, 10:50 AM

mine's above.

and to the left.

b.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 16, 2001, 11:01 AM

Mine hangs to the left... of my two 17 inchers.

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2001, 11:16 AM

Here's my desktop arrangement: LaserWriter IIg, G4, External SCSI CD-R and hard drive, monitor. The keyboard is in front of the monitor and the mouse is to the right.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 11:53 AM

I have a tiny desk, so I keep my G4 tower on the floor under the desk to the right of the monitor. I'm going to build my own custom desk soon. When I do that I'll probably put the G4 up on the desk to the left of the monitor.

------------------
"life is pain, Highness, anyone who tells you different is selling something."--The Man in Black from The Princess Bride
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

2far
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2001, 12:34 PM

I just fail to understand why it would be desirable to put the G4 right next to you instead of down under the desk. That's where I've put my G4s, normally I don't need to touch them except for inserting CDs/DVDs (rare enough). Less noise is the main reason to put it under your desk.

Even now that I have a cube, its under my desk. I can't even hear the hard disk ... that's how it has to be.

If I am forced to buy G4s again (due to the Cube not being updated), I would put it somewhere in a server room or closet, away from my desk (unfortunately I don't have anything like a server room, but then again there still might be Cubes for a while ...)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2001, 02:00 PM

Mine's on the left... The left side of my desk is up against the wall. I put it there so I could open up the side easily, which I've done several times, to add a second hard drive, ram, (three occasions) a zip 250, (to replace a defective zip 100) and an audio card. I'm glad I didn't have to climb under my desk to do any of this. My cd burner is behind the mouse on the right, with the scanner to the right of that.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 02:09 PM

Mine is on the right....the faaaaar right down a little below the level of my desk.
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2001, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by 2far:
I just fail to understand why it would be desirable to put the G4 right next to you instead of down under the desk. That's where I've put my G4s, normally I don't need to touch them except for inserting CDs/DVDs (rare enough). Less noise is the main reason to put it under your desk.

Even now that I have a cube, its under my desk. I can't even hear the hard disk ... that's how it has to be.

If I am forced to buy G4s again (due to the Cube not being updated), I would put it somewhere in a server room or closet, away from my desk (unfortunately I don't have anything like a server room, but then again there still might be Cubes for a while ...)
I can barely hear the fans in my tower (at least 3 of them). Of course, I've got a fish tank near the desk, and it's aerator is certainly not silent.

I keep my tower on the desk for three reasons:
1) I use the DVD drive a lot.
2) I have no place to put it on the floor.
3) It's a work of art that deserves to be seen. (I teach/play sysadmin at an all Windows school.)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2001, 02:55 PM

Tower under the desk and to the right, printer to the left(also under the desk)...
dave

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 10:32 PM

here goes:

left to right desktop: handspring in cradle. 17" sony monitor. rio 500. olympus d460.

next level down, rio cable, keyboard and mouse on sliding tray.

floor: my chair. my blue g3 tower to the right of my legs with a smart media reader, zip and burner sitting on top of my towers g-rack, farthest right, powermac 7200 linux box collecting dust with an epson 740 parked on top.

Daishi
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2001, 02:43 AM

My desk is a small kitchen table that I use so that I've got lots of workng room left for sprawling textbooks and papers, so I've only go the monitor and keyboard/mouse on it. On my right, I've got an old end table that my G4 and my printer sit on. It's on my right because that backs it into a corner, convenietly with my stereo. I can't hear my fan. Or much else from my right ear anymore...
Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deusaderit

3dAnimation
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2001, 01:20 PM

I keep the Tower on the right of the monitor. This way when I need to get to the inside, I don't have to unplug and move it! The door easily swings down with nothing in the way. : )

Although, for those interested here's my lineup:

LVD RAID array - 9500/G3/400 - 36bit Scanner - 17" monitor - 22" monitor - 17" monitor - DP G4/533 640ram.

enjoy!
GregM.

Jack Schit
Mar 17, 2001, 08:57 PM

i dont care i dont have a tower Bwa HAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHA

Jack Schit
Mar 17, 2001, 08:59 PM

i dont care i dont have a tower Bwa HAHAHAHAHAHAHaHAHA

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2001, 12:14 AM

I've got a tower to the left of my desk, to the right of my desk, and behind my desk.
I also have 2 stacked desktops and 4 printers to the right of my desk.

My door is on the left and my desk is in the middle of the room (it is a HUGE executive desk), so my G3 is on the right, and my older but still used comps are on the right for younger sibling and mother use.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

c0rvette  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2001, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Scotttheking:
I've got a tower to the left of my desk, to the right of my desk, and behind my desk.
I also have 2 stacked desktops and 4 printers to the right of my desk.

My door is on the left and my desk is in the middle of the room (it is a HUGE executive desk), so my G3 is on the right, and my older but still used comps are on the right for younger sibling and mother use.
hrm, it would be interesting to see a screenshot of all that..

spam, this means nothing

PCMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2001, 01:09 AM

My desk has the two 17" monitors and speaker sets. CPUs, Mac G3 and IBM Pentium II, are next to each other on separate table to the left of the desk, along with the fax machine and printer. (*GASP!* Some people would think it a SACRILEGE to have a Mac and a Win running smoothly side by side like that! ) Scanner, VCR and laptop are on 3rd table, and a Mac 6100 is over in the corner handling cd burns and archiving.

------------------

--PCMac

--PCMac

Forum Links
Forum Rules