Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Copying Folders Problems

Copying Folders Problems
fncdigital
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:47 AM

Not sure if this is a quark thing or a mac thing, i have posted at quark about this and noone seems to know, so I am seeing if any mac people know...

running Mac OSX 4.8 Quark 7 files and pictures.

When I drag a folder from one folder to another on the server it copies everything in the folder but the quark file.

For instance:

Ads 3-16-07 Has Billys folder in it.

I drag it to Ads 3-23-07 holding down option to make it copy, and it copies all but the Billys quark file.

I can, however, simply move the whole folder fine, everything moves with it. But copying only copies the folder, images in the folder and a subfolder.

Now, I noticed something during the our latest edition we were working on. If I move a folder with copy, not only does it not copy the quark file but it will not copy the files inside the “pictures” folder created when you collect for output.

This seems to be the only On going bug, it was an irritation at first but now its starting the slow the workflow considerably. For me anyway, because I have to take the time to make sure everything is in the folder.

Anyone know of this? Any possible solutions/

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:16 PM

What are the file permissions set to?

Do a command-I and see if they are read & write and who is the owner. Mac OS X is (or Unix for the matter) is anal when it comes to permissions.

File permissions can butt heads in a peer-server environment...

fncdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 12:21 PM

Info on the server shows nobody as owner permissions "you can read and write"
The individual quark files and the folders have same settings

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:28 PM

Hmm, if "nobody" user is the owner of the folder / files, you may want to have the server administrator change the folder owner to a different group.
Are you using Mac OS X Server? This is pretty straight forward to do in Tiger Server...

Me thinks its a file permission issue, especially if its been ongoing and getting worse. Check the hierarchy of those files and folders higher in the tree.

Worst case scenario, the workgroup admin can log in as root and re-issue those file / folder permissions.

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 12:49 PM

Sometimes the 'lock' that Quark puts on a file to stop more than one person working on it at a time can get stuck. Basically, the file still thinks it's open in Quark somewhere on the network, even if it's not.

The only way I have got round this in the past is by using 'sudo mv' to make a copy of the file (on the server), 'sudo rm' to get rid of the original, then putting the copy back where the original was. Be very careful with your sudos and your rms!

As far as I can tell this is a Quark issue as I have never had it happen to any other files.

fncdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 02:08 PM

well, that would make sense if the quark document was the only item that wouldn't move because the computer thought the file was in use, but why block the data inside the pictures folder?

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by fncdigital View Post
When I drag a folder from one folder to another on the server it copies everything in the folder but the quark file.
If the contents of your images folder isn't copying either then it is most likely a permissions issue. I suspected that it was a Quark issue based on what you had stated (quoted) and my previous experience.

fncdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2007, 12:23 PM

"Now, I noticed something during the our latest edition we were working on. If I move a folder with copy, not only does it not copy the quark file but it will not copy the files inside the “pictures” folder created when you collect for output."

yeah but I also stated this....

blah....i hate computers

glypht
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2007, 01:41 PM

It only seems to be affecting files saved by Quark, either directly or through collecting, so I still suspect Quark is at fault by means of dodgy permissions.

Are both the client and server running 10.4.8? Is your copy of Quark fully up to date? have you (and sorry to be the guy who always says it) repaired permissions and rebooted on both the client and the server?

fncdigital  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 29, 2007, 01:46 PM

Update to this problem...

Older versions of quark docs will copy...AND Older Versions of quark docs that have been converted and saved as Version 7 will copy.

Its the brand new quark files that will not copy along with the pictures inside the pictures folder created on the output.

Bleh....going to Quark forums now. See if anyone on either quark or macs side can help.

Our guy setup our system and network said the permissions are all clear that shouldnt be an issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules