Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Am I paying the right price for this ibook?

Am I paying the right price for this ibook?
maccrack
Mar 31, 2007, 05:37 PM

ok my friend wants to sell me his ibook g4 1ghz 256mb ram 40gb hd.. and he wants 350$ has a airport card and im not using it for anything heavy, also i was wondering how much a new case and some extra ram is im thinking about 512 ram so is it possiable to put another 256 stick in?..

thanks
white macbook, 2ghz, 1gb of ram, 80gb hd.

Still.Life
Baninated
Mar 31, 2007, 06:19 PM

I think thats a very good deal. Id go for it! You can get a case for $30, and if you look around you could probably find 512mb ram stick for less than $70. All and all thats a very good deal.

maccrack  (op)
Mar 31, 2007, 07:10 PM

yeah a friend is selling it to me thats why its cheap thanks alot!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2007, 07:42 PM

Do it. It's a good deal. Just put in some RAM.

pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 31, 2007, 10:55 PM

Just hope your friend doesn't read this list!

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:03 AM

Good deal? good deal before the intel macs came into town. a year ago, it would be a good deal. Now, not so great. Sounds kinda obselete in fact. Dont expect anything fast. YOu will need at least 512 RAM minimum.

I can see you have a macbook. Ever since i got my macbook, i have lost some patience (Now things are fast!), so my 1.42 GHZ mini with a gig of ram is SLOOW. The ibook would seem VERY SLOW if you reularly use your macbook. Flash video (such as youtube) is NOT RECOMMENDED ON THAT MACHINE.

About the ram, go to owc and get a 512 or 1 gig stick. There MAY only be only one RAm slot, depending on certain factors. Do you have any built in ram?
--applgeek
You can email me at [email protected] or aim me at applgeek

I am a proud blogger at freecasts.net!

Joy Of Tech!

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Still.Life View Post
I think thats a very good deal. Id go for it! You can get a case for $30, and if you look around you could probably find 512mb ram stick for less than $70. All and all thats a very good deal.
Less than 70? 70 is expesive for old ram. I would shoot for less than 50. That price is from 2 years ago.

512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz 200 Pin Low-Profi... (2100DDRSO512) at OWC

42 bucks at OWC.
--applgeek

Joy Of Tech!

Still.Life
Baninated
Apr 1, 2007, 02:12 AM

hah sorry about that =]. Oh and dont listen to the neh-sayer, because even if its slow, you could resell that later for a lot more!

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:25 AM

neh sayer? excuse me? You dont have a macbook, so you cannot correct me knowingly. I thought my Powermac G3 was fast... Until i got a faster computer. That is my exact point.

oh yeah, and you will probably not sell a machine like that for much more than you paid..... especially when you add in extra costs.

I am not saying it is a horrid deal, i am saying that it would seem slow to the OWNER because he/she is used to a faster machine.
--applgeek

Joy Of Tech!

Still.Life
Baninated
Apr 1, 2007, 02:27 AM

Take it easy man. I was just putting in my two cents. Even thought it seams it was useless.

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Still.Life View Post
Take it easy man. I was just putting in my two cents. Even thought it seams it was useless.
Yeah, it was useless for you to call me a neh sayer without knowing all the facts.
--applgeek

Joy Of Tech!

zenwhen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 11:42 AM

Go for it.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by applgeek View Post
neh sayer? excuse me? You dont have a macbook, so you cannot correct me knowingly. I thought my Powermac G3 was fast... Until i got a faster computer. That is my exact point.

oh yeah, and you will probably not sell a machine like that for much more than you paid..... especially when you add in extra costs.

I am not saying it is a horrid deal, i am saying that it would seem slow to the OWNER because he/she is used to a faster machine.
Dude... for real. I think we know that a brand new MacBook will be faster than a two year old iBook. That being said, in day to day tasks, my 533 MHz G4 runs just as fast as my 1.8 GHz G5.

applgeek
Apr 1, 2007, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Dude... for real. I think we know that a brand new MacBook will be faster than a two year old iBook. That being said, in day to day tasks, my 533 MHz G4 runs just as fast as my 1.8 GHz G5.
I am saying this to the author, who has a macbook. if you cant do the same comparison, then dont try to bash it. AS i said before, i am not saying the ibook is horrid, it is just not te sped he is used to. keep in mind that i used to own an ibook g4 1.2, with 512 megs of ram, and have now upgraded to a macbook. i think I would know the comparison better than you, providing your example. Note that your examples are not as drastic, and are both PPC Processors. And, of course, they are not the same machines. They are also pretty old machines, and i can vouch that they arent much if you start loading a bunch of crap on it. try opening 10 windows of Youtube Playing lol.
--applgeek

Joy Of Tech!

maccrack  (op)
Apr 1, 2007, 09:39 PM

Yes, I am on the ibook right now it run's great. And I am def going to hop on the deeal. Something I noticed is throughout my entire house on my macbook I get full signal, but on the ibook the signal isnt that great. Could there be something wrong with the airport card? Also I would like to know if installing a new case would be a large task. Im am a techy guy so that shouldnt be a problem.

A few things...
-The ram is 256 built in. So, can I just put in another 256mb of ram or do I need to get a 512 stick?
-It's currently running 10.3.9 and I was wondering if it would be possiable to go ahead and install 10.4 with the CD my macbook came with?

Thanks, Maccrack

applgeek
Apr 2, 2007, 02:41 AM

The 256 is soldered to the logic board and will remain there. You now should have one slot for ram that will be open. in this you can put in a 256 for 512, but i recommend getting at least another 512 so you can have 768.

42 bucks for a 512 at owc: 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz 200 Pin Low-Profi... (2100DDRSO512) at OWC

oh yeah, the macbooks have better airport reception. Your ibook is *Probably* fine.

No, you cant use your macbook disc. If you did so, you would be ILLEGALLY PIRATING OS X. As a safety measure, apple keeps you from using those discs on anything but a macbook. Tiger for the ibook will have to be purchased (legally) or obtained illegally.
--applgeek

Joy Of Tech!

Forum Links
Forum Rules