Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > WD My Book Pro, Firewire 800 problems

WD My Book Pro, Firewire 800 problems
Thain Esh Kelch
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2007, 12:34 PM

I have just bought a Western Digital My Book Pro, 250 Gb for my MBP.

Firewire 400 and USB works like a charm, but I have only gotten FW 800 to work once..

Does anyone else have had problems with My Book Pro's?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2007, 04:00 AM

I've got two of the 500GB disks and they've both been fine. The blue lights are slightly different colours, but that's hardly the end of the world

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2007, 05:19 PM

So you just plug the firewire800 cable into the Mac, and then it shows up on the desktop?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 11:24 PM

In principle yes. Given that you say USB and FW400 work fine, I'm inclined to suspect hardware defect, most likely the enclosure, rather than the MBP's FW800 port.

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2007, 06:48 AM

That was my theory too, but doesnt the firewire run on seperate busses on the MBP?

That I got the FW800 to work once (Not without problems either) led me to believe that it might be the wire.. But I will try it out on another Mac as soon as i have the opportunity, and then I will return it.

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2007, 01:53 PM

On top of that, after some use, it mixes folders around.. Very weird.. For example, just now one of the folders magically transformed into on of the others, with identical names and content.. O_o

A reboot of the harddrive fixed it.. SO weird.. I think it is going back to the dealer! Has to get him to send me a new one first though, so I can back the content up..

I shouldn't be getting this problems just because it is FAT32 formatted, right?

tonynap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 06:41 PM

I'm having same problems with several MBP's, mount FW400 and USB, wil not mount FW800.
Already returned one now having problems mounting (via FW800) another one. Have six others working OK so far.

tonynap
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 06:49 PM

Sorry, in my last post, MBP reffers to My Book Pro, not Mac Book.

Thain Esh Kelch  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2007, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by tonynap View Post
I'm having same problems with several MBP's, mount FW400 and USB, wil not mount FW800.
Already returned one now having problems mounting (via FW800) another one. Have six others working OK so far.
So you are saying that FW800 on the model is flawed? I will have to return it I guess... Hopefully I can get them to send a replacement, before I send the other one back.. :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules