Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Desperately looking for help

Desperately looking for help
colby99n1
Baninated
Apr 2, 2007, 02:44 AM

My son (6 years old) has pretty severe asthma. He's been to the emergency room a few times and we now have a nebulizer and inhaler at home. His asthma seems to be triggered primarily by colds. Pretty much 100% of the time that he gets a cold the dreaded "cough" starts soon thereafter. He is like 10 for 10 with colds and asthma.
We're really frustrated (and nervous) for his severe asthma attacks. He is too young and we are desperately looking for an alternate natural cure. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Strupat
Apr 2, 2007, 03:09 AM

My older sister had severe asthma as a child. She had frequent attacks and never parted from her inhaler. She still uses it daily for prevention. She was also on a nebulizer daily.

If you are going to try a homeopathic medicine, do not discontinue his prescribed inhaler and nebulizer. They are proven methods for treating asthma and are your best bet. I have come across a few herbal medicines which seem to composed of highly diluted herbs chosen for their apparent positive effects on the respiratory system. They may or may not work, but I am sure they are worth a try for your son. Make sure you talk to your son's doctor about any changes you want to try.

I wish you and your son the best of luck.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2007, 03:10 AM

I don't know if the doctor has said anything, but cut out all of his milk. Milk is not good for asthma.

Check The NOTMILK Homepage! (MILK is a bad-news substance!) for more information.

Std. Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor. Any advise given should be verified from a professional.

Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2007, 03:17 AM

When I use to drink a lot of milk, my sinusis (spelling?) would drain all the time. I was constantly getting colds. Since I quit milk almost 6 years ago . . . I don't recall having a cold since. I drink a little milk, but just a fraction of what I use too. Between ice cream and milk in my cereal, I'm down to maybe a gallon or less a month.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2007, 08:50 AM

Nebulizer and inhaler treatments (albuterol types) are know as 'rescue' treatments, and used for asthma attacks. If you're using them more than once a week, prophylatic treatment is recommended. Meds such as Singular, Advair and Spiriva are available as such. Work closely with your doctor. Asthma is a debilitating disease, but can be controlled very well with these and other meds. I know of no OTC or herbal remedies that are effective.

Good luck to you and your little guy.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 07:31 AM

It's medicinal but I take Seretide for my asthma and it's as good as a cure with it. A puff in the morning and maybe one in the evening if I feel the need and I don't even need an inhalator with it. I go for a few days without the Seretide and I'm back on the inhalator and having asthma attacks.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2007, 03:37 PM

Erm, what did the OP do to get banninated? Only one post, and it doesn't look like anything bannable.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 4, 2007, 04:19 PM

Yeah, I'm curious about the banning too. Only one post, nothing offensive or spamish.... ?
tin pot, garden shed

reader50
Administrator
Apr 4, 2007, 04:31 PM

The OP posted the legit-sounding message. Waited for some replies to happen. Then came back with another screen name, and posted asthma-drug spam for their product.

Demonhood left the thread open because of the legit replies. But the OP and his spam alter-ego both got banned, and the asthma drug spam was deleted.

Has anyone else noticed that the spammers are finally getting smarter? Some of them anyway.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 05:03 PM

The OP posted the legit-sounding message. Waited for some replies to happen. Then came back with another screen name, and posted asthma-drug spam for their product.
Well, isn't that special. We offer up heart-felt responses to someone who claims to have a sick child and they turn around and try to launch a spam fest.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Well, isn't that special. We offer up heart-felt responses to someone who claims to have a sick child and they turn around and try to launch a spam fest.
Next time someone comes in with a legitimately ill family member, some distrusting MacNN member will post something like, "WELL I HOPE HE GASPS HIS FINAL BREATH TONIGHT, SPAMMER!"

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 05:22 PM

Next time someone comes in with a legitimately ill family member, some distrusting MacNN member will post something like, "WELL I HOPE HE GASPS HIS FINAL BREATH TONIGHT, SPAMMER!"
Exactly, it just breeds cynicism.

mercurous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 09:15 AM

The moderators acted correctly. This is an increasing common tactic used to spam fora.

"My son (6 years old) has pretty severe asthma." - Google Search
^^ the moderators from di.fm have less mercy

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Exactly, it just breeds cynicism.
Spammers are the scum of the earth. Seriously. I wish the government would spend as many resources fighting them as it does fighting hemp.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 9, 2007, 10:33 AM

That's pretty disgusting.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules