Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac mini for video editing?

mac mini for video editing?
pwrmacg4
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 12:08 PM

I was wondering can the Mini Core 2 Duo be used for
video editing? Or is limited by slow notebook hard drives? There are notebook hd with 7200rpm.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 12:49 PM

A lot will depend on the video format, choice of editing application, and length of the clips. For iMovie, it can probably manage, especially if you get a fast external FW drive.

(Of course, no Mac Minis ship with Core 2 Duo currently).

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 29, 2007, 02:22 PM

For sure upgrade RAM and HD. A 7200 RPM HD would be best as well as max out the RAM. It should be fine then.

papadopolis
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2007, 02:45 PM

there is no mac mini core 2 duo

Uisce
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2007, 02:13 PM

I've done iMovie editing and iDVD authoring on my 1.66 mini core duo w/ 2gb ram for a 1 hour movie. Its definitely doable, but obviously not the fastest. Its not painfully slow though - you should be fine. You really need HDD space though, so afast FW hdd is what I'd recommend.

Uisce

cherry su
Apr 3, 2007, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by papadopolis View Post
there is no mac mini core 2 duo
You can open it up and replace the existing CPU with a Core 2 Duo chip.
MacBook Pro T2500/1.5GB/100GB/256MB  iPod 20GB B&W  Mac mini 1.25/256MB/40GB/32MB  Dell 2.66/2GB/80GB/Intel Extreme Gfx

Kadman
Apr 3, 2007, 08:21 PM

I do this on a regular basis via iMovie with my Core Duo 1.6 Mini. In fact, I did the bulk of our 40+ home movie conversion/editing on my old PPC 1.4 Mini without issue. Editing speed is fine. The only time you notice slowness is when it's actually encoding into DVD format. It's not a problem if you are OK with setting it to go off and crunch away while you go do other things and simply come back to a burned DVD hanging out the front. If, however, you need to wait for the video to compress so that you can move on and do other things, there are faster CPUs in other Macs (and in the Mini if you are willing to pull it apart and swap something else in). If you are planning to play with Final Cut or anything like that you'll want to look to a different Mac.

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 09:27 PM

Well you couldn't run Final Cut Pro on your Mac Mini anyways because it requires 40GB to get started. It is good for iMovie editing like others have said but you'll need more RAM if you want to use Final Cut Express or Adobe After Effects. Luckily on the later you can choose a slower setting for your computer.

motoxpress
Apr 6, 2007, 01:15 AM

Actually, there have been people who have installed and run the UB version of FCS on their core duo minis and they ran quite well. Motion is not very usable but, FCP runs just fine - as well as a Dual G5. You would definitely want the faster HD and 2 gigs of ram however.

Just wish they would put that AppleTV 7300GT in the mini...that would rock.

-gl

bearcatrp
Senior User
Apr 8, 2007, 11:19 PM

Good question. I was actually thinking of putting boot camp with xp and sony vegas on my mini since apple doesn't support mpeg2 editing. Just wish the mini supported 4gb ram.
Randy

FunandBlindness
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2007, 01:33 AM

I run FC Express and Logic Express on my 1.66 Core Duo Mini. You need 2gb of ram. I also use a MiniStack with a 250gb 7200 HD as the scratch disc. Speed is impressive, works great for personal use. If you are on deadline for a large project, probably a little to slow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules