Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Unreal Tournament on Intel Mac? (old version)

Unreal Tournament on Intel Mac? (old version)
todd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 6, 2007, 11:57 AM

I'm not much of a gamer, but there were a few games that I played in the past to blow off some steam. One that I liked, because it was simple and supported network play, was the original Unreal Tournament. But, now that I have an Intel Mac (MacBook Pro), I don't see any obvious way to get it working. Way back when, there was an effort to do open source development on the UT engine, but I don't know if that was maintained, or produced a Mac version.

Does anyone know of an Intel binary for UT? Any other options, short of booting into Windows with Boot Camp? I have Parallels, with Win2K running in a VM. But, Parallels doesn't have any 3D support (yet). I may try the latest VMWare Beta, as they do have experimental support for 3D.

Also - I know there are a few other new gaming options similar to UT, including UT200x. But, I'm looking just for UT options at this point. I just want a really simple shooter game, where I can play for a few minutes with a well-defined goal - like capture the flag on Facing Worlds, and have the option for network-play with a few friends.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2007, 10:50 AM

I think the only option I heard of is some sort of original UT/UT2004 hybrid. I heard of someone taking the main UT2004 app and somehow adding the original UT99 mapps and files to it somehow. I've never tried it (too much work, and I enjoy UT2004 Onslaught) but there is an email in the forum on it. Not sure if this was on the PowerPC or Intel platform, though.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 7, 2007, 02:49 PM

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2007, 12:52 AM

Look at the release date. That's PowerPC based, not Intel based. That is a good by slightly unfinished port of UT99 from MacOS 9 to MacOS X.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 8, 2007, 01:48 AM

So? Rosetta will still run it, won't it?

kick52
Baninated
Apr 8, 2007, 08:28 PM

i'm not sure about UT, but if you want a smooth free FPS, try OpenArena

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 8, 2007, 09:34 PM

Wow. That looks HORRIBLE. Like... holy crap. I think I'd rather cut myself than play that. ugh.

kick52
Baninated
Apr 9, 2007, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Wow. That looks HORRIBLE. Like... holy crap. I think I'd rather cut myself than play that. ugh.
it is foss, so stop yo' yappin'

its fun to play online.

todd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2007, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the responses. It looks like moving to another game, or waiting for 3D acceleration in Parallels/VMWare are my two best options.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 9, 2007, 12:47 PM

Try the OSX UT app I linked you too. I played Deus Ex under Rosetta and it ran fine. With a modern mac, you shouldn't be very limited. I'd try it but I have no time lately. Maybe I'll load it tonight.

Flying Meat
Senior User
Apr 11, 2007, 07:27 PM

The PPC UT patch linked above actually plays pretty well on my MBP.
I did go out and get UT2k4 though (not sure whether it's still PPC code...). I find it a bit more fun since the graphics are a little smoother.

Some of the UT custom maps were ported to UT 2k4 as well, which is fun, too.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 11, 2007, 09:42 PM

I loaded it onto my iMac tonight, it runs just fine. I don't know what you're complaining about dude. UT2004 has a universal binary available for it, and it runs really well on my 24" iMac / 7600GT also.

Forum Links
Forum Rules