Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Folder w/ flashing question mark...tried everything!

Folder w/ flashing question mark...tried everything!
JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2007, 12:41 AM

We have a Macbook that is having a problem that seems to be unfixable, so I thought I'd employ the advice of you folks.

When starting up, it does nothing for about 45 seconds, then a folder with a flashing question mark appears. I've tried inserting the system CD and booting from that, it won't do that either, despite spinning the CD up. I've tried zapping PRAM, etc, etc. I can't get into Disk Utility obviously since I can't get to the CD. Any ideas?

JazzCatDRP  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 11, 2007, 12:49 AM

Update: We got it to start from the CD, and Disk Utility doesn't show the hard drive at all.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2007, 01:10 AM

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 01:27 AM

i had this a long time back.

start in safe mode and look under apple > system preferences > startup disk and check to see if mac osx is checked as your startup disk, and if not, then select it.

when this happened to me, somehow my startup had been changed to network startup, and i kept getting the ? folder on startup.

also, since you were able to start from a cd, i have a feeling that it's not your hd. i could be wrong though

alex

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2007, 01:59 AM

Happened to my macbook back in november....sadly it was the hard drive that went....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2007, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock View Post
start in safe mode and look under apple > system preferences > startup disk and check to see if mac osx is checked as your startup disk, and if not, then select it.
That's good advice, but he stated that the drive wasn't present when he booted from disc.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2007, 07:07 AM

pull out the hard drive and stick it back in to re-seat it.

Other'n that - bring it in for service.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 07:34 AM

If Disk Utility and Disk Warrior don't even see it, then it is dead. Unfortunately, repeated attempts to mount it, repair it, whatever tend to decrease the likelihood of recovering the data if you need to go that route. It is ghastly expensive. But you do have a full, complete back up, right?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 11, 2007, 09:24 AM

Definitely try Disk Warrior. I have seen drives that are not mountable be completely restored by Disk Warrior.

Forum Links
Forum Rules