Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I open .wpd files in MS Word?

How do I open .wpd files in MS Word?
nickhos38
Apr 11, 2007, 02:26 PM

How do I open .wpd files in MS Word?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 02:55 PM

What are .wpd files? Microsoft wordpad? Are you trying to open them in the Mac version of Office? If so, I don't think it has the importers. If you've tried using 'open' in Word, and that doesn't work, then check the MS page, and see if there are any plugins that you can download - they sometimes have them for some formats, otherwise try Open Office - it's possible that that will read it. Lastly, find someone with whatever program it was that created them, and use it to convert them to something you can read.

nickhos38  (op)
Apr 11, 2007, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
What are .wpd files?
I think they are WordPerfect files.

Are you trying to open them in the Mac version of Office?
Yes.

If you've tried using 'open' in Word, and that doesn't work, then check the MS page, and see if there are any plugins that you can download - they sometimes have them for some formats...
I could not find anything like this at Microsoft's website.

...otherwise try Open Office - it's possible that that will read it.
I would really like to just open the files in Ms Word (or convert the file using a small application). I really do not wnt to download a completely different word processor, open the file in that app, save it, etc. I figure if I have to go this route, I might as well purchase WordPerfect or whatever application is creating these .wpd files.

Lastly, find someone with whatever program it was that created them, and use it to convert them to something you can read.
I am trying to get around having to do this. In my profession (lawyer), people seem to send me these .wpd files about 5-10 times a day. I always have to call or email them and ask them to re-send the file in a format that I can open in Word (such as .rtf), which oftentimes swipes much of the formatting. Not to mention, this is a hassle for them and for me.

If possible, I would also be interested in opening .wpd files in Apple's Pages.

Any other ideas? Thanks..
( Last edited by nickhos38; Apr 11, 2007 at 03:32 PM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 03:47 PM

It's odd that people would be sending you wordperfect files 5-10 times a day, I don't think that has been popular as a format for a while. Could you post one of these files (if you have one that does not contain confidential information) for us to play with in terms of what will open it?

nickhos38  (op)
Apr 11, 2007, 03:52 PM

Could you post one of these files (if you have one that does not contain confidential information)...
I wish I could do this; however, allt he files I have contain client information. I would therefore be breaking the attorney-client privilege.

I will try to get someone to send me a file that does not contain client information.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 03:53 PM

OK. Here goes. Word 2004 will not open WP files.
However, the free AbiWord will - it is free, and can write Word files.
Alternatively, WPConvert 1.0 – Mac OS X – VersionTracker WPconvert will convert older wp files.
MacLinkPlus Deluxe. Available from DataViz, MacLinkPlus is a powerful conversion utility that will translate any kind of WordPerfect document into a Word document.

nickhos38  (op)
Apr 11, 2007, 04:14 PM

peeb,

Thanks for all your help. I think the application I am looking for is "MacLinkPlus Deluxe." It is expensive, but I think I need it to get my work done.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 04:16 PM

No problem - let us know how that works out for you.

-Q-
Apr 11, 2007, 06:14 PM

Solution found, but for the lawyers in the user group here in Atlanta, it's a common problem. Apparently WordPerfect had some nice custom features that made creating legal documents easy, so while it's been 'gone' for quite some time from the the application itself is still alive in many a legal office and is still being produced for Windows.

nickhos38  (op)
Apr 11, 2007, 09:10 PM

MacLinkPlus Deluxe converted the file. Eighty bucks later, it is very good, powerful program with a slick user interface. It will definately make things more efficient around here. Thanks again.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 12, 2007, 01:18 AM

Will TextEdit open the files? If so, you can convert them to a .doc format afterward, or at least copy and paste into a Word document.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Forum Links
Forum Rules