Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac G5-iSight HDD Upgrade

iMac G5-iSight HDD Upgrade
jderosa3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 09:54 PM

I just got a 500GB WD SATA 300 drive and I want to replace my stock 250GB drive that came with 20" iMac... I don't mind doing the upgrade, but I don't want to attempt a tear down without a guide... I have tried scouring the net for a service manual with no luck... does anyone have a tutorial or know where i can get one.

Thanks

iMacYouMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 10:58 PM

Give this a shot:

opening an isight imac (to replace HD etc): Mac OS X Tips & Hints: MacFixItForums

I know there is a site some where that had step by step instructions with pictures. I'll see if I can find it. I can't believe it escaped me.
iMac Core 2 Duo 17" - 2Ghz - 2GB Ram - 160GB HD - 250GB Ext - Bluetooth Keyboard and Mighty Mouse - MAudio Fast Track

Antec Nine Hundred Case - Gigabyte 965S3 - 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo -1GB Corsair XMS Ram - 400GB 3.0Gbps Seagate HD - 160GB Ext - X1900GT PCI 16x - Audigy 2 ZS

jderosa3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 08:13 AM

Thanks for the link! If you happen to come across the one with pictures let me know. This will help for the time being.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2007, 08:40 AM

I usually get take apart guides from iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories but they don't seem to have anything for the iMac. Apple has pdfs of user accessible upgrades so searching their site may help.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jderosa3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2007, 08:51 AM

ya i tried, but apple knows that there are no "serviceable parts" in the new iMacs... so this is something I am taking on myself..

jderosa3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2007, 09:37 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that the "surgery" was successful!!!

Previous HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA 150 (1.5Gb/s)
New HDD: Western Digital Caviar 500GB SATA 300 (3.0Gb/s)

I will be upping the RAM from 1.5GB to 2.5GB shortly, but I can say there is a performance enhancement form the new SATA upgrade! Glad it worked out...

I will say though that the upgrade was not for the faint hearted... the LCD was a pain to get off and back on (at least on this model).

Hey point is... it worked!

Forum Links
Forum Rules