Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Yet another Neocon sex scandal

Yet another Neocon sex scandal
Nicko
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 10:18 AM

Now, its hardly unusual for executives to hire their girl friends, use company funds to take them on vacations, buy them gifts ect... but this case is full of irony on so many levels:

- Wolfowitz is one of Bush's closest allies and was one of the architects of the Iraq war
- He is head of the World Bank.... an organization that is supposed to be dedicated to fighting poverty and MORE IMPORTANTLY corruption.
- Wolfowitz apologized for his actions but has not yet resigned.

Where is the moral high ground here? Wolfowitz is acting no better than a corrupt government official from a developing country.

FYI Oh and his girlfriend's salary? Wolfowitz got her an increase of more than $60,000 a year to just about $200,000 (AFTER TAXES )...and that wouldn't even include all her benefits. ---- her salary is higher than Condi Rice!

Which Bush ally will fall next? Stay tuned!

-----
World Bank board says will decide soon on Wolfowitz
Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:48AM EDT

By Lesley Wroughton

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The World Bank's board of directors adjourned a meeting on Friday over the promotion by bank President Paul Wolfowitz of his girlfriend, Shaha Riza, saying it would move quickly to decide how to proceed.

In a statement, the board said it found that Wolfowitz signed off on Riza's promotion and salary increase without a review by an ethics committee nor the board's chairman. The promotion came shortly after he joined the institution in 2005.

"The executive directors will move expeditiously to reach a conclusion on possible actions to take," the board said.

"In their consideration of the matter the executive directors will focus on all relevant governance implications for the bank," it added

The board released documents of findings of an ad hoc group that investigated the contract agreed with Riza and also included communications between Wolfowitz, the board and other bank officials.

The review on Friday by the board of member countries focused on whether Wolfowitz broke staff rules when he approved Riza's promotion, before she was assigned to the State Department to resolve possible conflict of interest issues arising from his supervision over her work.

Wolfowitz has taken full responsibility for Riza's promotion and apologized on Thursday, saying he made a mistake in the way he handled the issue, but said he was in "uncharted waters" and still new in his job.

"In hindsight, I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations. I made a mistake, for which I am sorry," he said in an opening statement at a news conference.

The board said Wolfowitz had revealed his relationship with Riza while he was negotiating his own job contract and, at the directors' request, sought guidance from the board's ethics committee.

"The guidance given on an informal basis was that the employee should be relocated to a position beyond potential supervising influence," the board said.

Wolfowitz, who was nominated for the bank job in 2005 by President George W. Bush, joined the institution from the Pentagon, where he was one of the architects of Iraq war.

He has faced lingering distrust by many staff members and resentment over his close ties to the Bush administration and his role in the Iraq war that have overshadowed his first two years at the bank.

The bank's staff representative association, which demanded last week that Wolfowitz explain his actions, have called on Wolfowitz to resign, saying it seemed impossible for the institution, whose mission is to fight global poverty, to move forward "with any sense of purpose under the present leadership."
---

The girlfriend. Worth $200,000?
( Last edited by Nicko; Apr 13, 2007 at 10:26 AM. )

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 10:29 AM

But it's okay... See, he is a neo-con. Behavior like this is to be expected, and anything less would be disappointing.

Add this story to the Rove story, plus all the other stories of corruption and lying in the Bush administration.
They really should all be in an Egyptian jail for cross-examination.

Oh well, expect a Democrat to be the center of attention in a hot new scandel soon.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2007, 10:32 AM

Could definitely have upgraded above the bull-dike model for that kind of scratch.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 10:35 AM

*insert joke about what woman's looks say about neo-con judgement here*

Nicko  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
*insert joke about what woman's looks say about neo-con judgement here*
It was a judgment call to post the pic...but I couldn't resist.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Could definitely have upgraded above the bull-dike model for that kind of scratch.
And on and on and on the judgements continue. Are you a GQ model? Was there a need to call her a "bull-dike" other than to make yourself feel better? This is an excellent example of what's happening in our society, and people wonder why it doesn't stop.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG View Post
And on and on and on the judgements continue. Are you a GQ model? Was there a need to call her a "bull-dike" other than to make yourself feel better? This is an excellent example of what's happening in our society, and people wonder why it doesn't stop.
I was a GQ model. So yes, she looks like a bull dike.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I was a GQ model.
Goblin Quarterly?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Goblin Quarterly?
Teeheehee

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I was a GQ model. So yes, she looks like a bull dike.
Pardon me. Sometimes I forget that I'm dealing with some junior high schoolers here.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2007, 11:18 AM

Pardon me. Sometimes I forget that I'm dealing with some junior high schoolers here.
No, just those who have a sense of humor who act like junior high schoolers. lighten up.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 13, 2007, 11:26 AM

And on and on and on the judgements continue. Are you a GQ model?
I'm prettier than the trophy this guy might have traded his career for.

This is an excellent example of what's happening in our society, and people wonder why it doesn't stop.
By "what's happening in our society," I take it you mean "what society has always been like since the time of Jesus"?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Wolfowitz has taken full responsibility for Riza's promotion and apologized on Thursday, saying he made a mistake in the way he handled the issue, but said he was in "uncharted waters" and still new in his job.

"In hindsight, I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations. I made a mistake, for which I am sorry," he said in an opening statement at a news conference.
Wolfowitz seems like a decent guy to me, but, c'mon ... "uncharted waters"? At which jobs is it O.K. to use a position of authority to influence the outcome of your girl-friend's salary negotiations? You don't get to a position like his and not know that this is a no-no at any job.

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 03:20 PM

You guys are so full of ****. Any chick boning me in the work place is definitely getting preferential treatment. I mean come on. They're boning me. Of course they're gonna get taken care of. Jeeze.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2007, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
You guys are so full of ****. Any chick boning me in the work place is definitely getting preferential treatment. I mean come on. They're boning me. Of course they're gonna get taken care of. Jeeze.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Orion27 View Post
You don't do satire, do you.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
Any chick boning me in the work place........ I mean come on. They're boning me.
Uh, last time I checked, the chick doesn't "bone" you, you "bone" the chick. Hence the popular phrase "i boned your mom last night".

I can post a picture that backs my claim if you don't believe me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Uh, last time I checked, the chick doesn't "bone" you, you "bone" the chick. Hence the popular phrase "i boned your mom last night".

I can post a picture that backs my claim if you don't believe me.
Well, if one has never had sex, they wouldn't know that, would they?

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by iMOTOR View Post
Obviously you have some sort of Cinemaxish view of how men and women have sex. Man on top or man takes girl from behind. Whatever...

Once you reach that level of power and wealth, quite frankly, doggie style just doesn't do it for a man any more. You get bored. You get creative.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2007, 02:56 PM

Quite obviously, you still didn't understand what was being said. The man is the one with the penis, therefore the man does the "boning." Got it?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2007, 03:00 PM

Quite obviously, you still didn't understand what was being said. The man is the one with the penis, therefore the man does the "boning." Got it?
Not necessarily…
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Nicko  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 14, 2007, 03:39 PM

This thread is moving into strange and dark places...

pooka
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Not necessarily…
Yeah, Karl, you aint gettin what I'm trying to say.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Apr 14, 2007, 05:14 PM

Or, perhaps he's getting it in ways we don't want to know ...

wolfen
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2007, 05:29 PM

I bet Monica is rollin' in her gra...

Oh, you know what I mean.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Apr 14, 2007, 06:50 PM

It must suck living in a boring part of the world.
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Wolfowitz seems like a decent guy to me, but, c'mon ... "uncharted waters"? At which jobs is it O.K. to use a position of authority to influence the outcome of your girl-friend's salary negotiations? You don't get to a position like his and not know that this is a no-no at any job.
Here is some interesting information that nobody here seems to want to disclose or admit to for fear of weakening their agenda's promotion...

Wolfowitz had also asked for the release of the documents, believing that they would show that the board's ethics committee had rejected his offer to recuse himself from consideration of Riza's employment and ordered him to find a solution.

In a May 25, 2005, letter to Wolfowitz's personal lawyer negotiating his contract, Roberto Dañino, then the bank's general counsel, acknowledged that Wolfowitz had disclosed "a pre-existing relationship with a Bank staffer" and had proposed to resolve it "by recusing himself from all personnel matters and professional contact related to the staff member."

Wolfowitz lawyer Robert Barnett responded two days later with an e-mail stating that the proposal "WOULD NOT -- I REPEAT, NOT -- INVOLVE RECUSAL FROM PROFESSIONAL CONTACT" with Riza. "THIS MATTER," Barnett wrote, "MUST BE RESOLVED" before Wolfowitz would sign his contract.
The Wall Street Journal said in an editorial that "the forces of the World Bank's status quo," angered by Wolfowitz's efforts to fight "corruption-as-usual" and institute more accountability in the institution's lending practices, had seized on a trivial issue to bring him down.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Where is the moral high ground here? Wolfowitz is acting no better than a corrupt government official from a developing country.
Wolfowitz requested recusal from her employment negotiations and was denied.

Article

As for her making more than Condi, That observation means very little. Plenty of folks make more money than Condi. Plenty make more than the President of the US.

And usually "sex scandels" involve sex. I have yet to see a mention of the word "sex" in any of the 50 or so articles I have read about this garbage.

Nicko  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2007, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
And usually "sex scandels" involve sex. I have yet to see a mention of the word "sex" in any of the 50 or so articles I have read about this garbage.
Oh thats right, Neocons don't have sex

Yea, I'm sure 'close female friend' and 'girl friend'' really meant , platonic relationship

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
Wolfowitz requested recusal from her employment negotiations and was denied.

Article
So, he requested recusal, and was denied, so he figured the next best thing was to think that this gave him justification for an enormous pay increase. Yup, makes sense to me. Talk about spin.

Did you even read the article you linked to? It says that Wolfowitz was less than candid, and that he personally directed the terms under which the bank gave what it called his "domestic partner" substantial pay raises and promotions in exchange for temporarily leaving her job there during his tenure, according to documents released by the bank's executive board yesterday.
( Last edited by OldManMac; Apr 15, 2007 at 05:28 PM. )

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2007, 10:54 AM

Small update regarding this "scandal".

Quick translation from babelfish:

Melkert instigator scandal around Wolfowitz Monday 16 April 2007 15.01

Not Paul Wolfowitz, but former PvdA-leader(Social Democrats from the Netherlands) ad Melkert commissioned to post the girlfriend of Wolfowitz and salary increase to give.

That becomes clear has released the that World Bank from documents (pdf). The position of Wolfowitz stood under large pressure, after it was confessed that he its girlfriend Shaha Riza, who worked also at the World Bank, personally a promotion and salary increase will have provided.

Outside the governing board and the ethical commission for Wolfowitz will have regulated that she was posted at the American Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and by the World Bank salary paid of 193,000 dollars got - 10,000 dollars more than its chef there, Condoleezza Rice.

Melkert commissioned
From the documents appear however that Melkert, which were informed then President of the ethical commission of the World Bank, not only were, but even task has given to Wolfowitz to regulate change the details of Riza's.

For its coming forward aantreden at the World Bank in 2005, gave to a relation Wolfowitz to have with an employee of the bank. That could lead to conflicting interests. The ethical commission concluded that was there talk of conflicting interests and decided that this problem could be solved as Riza would only leave at the World Bank.

Riza stood in that time however on the list promotion get. The ethical commission considered that she had be compensated for that. Melkert dedicated to Wolfowitz then that this had be regulated as soon as possible.

Closed
On 24 October 2005 Melkert sent a letter to Wolfowitz, in which he communicated that the ethical commission the matter as closed contemplative (page 42 of pdf-documenten). He thanked Wolfowitz for its constructive aid and wished to Riza much luck in its new function. Also Melkert invite the couple for a diner at his home (page 90 and 91 of pdf-documenten).

Wolfowitz said yesterday evening that he does not intend on the steps. ' the bank has to important perform work and I will continue do that, ' thus heavily criticised the Wolfowitz. Last week Saturday did not say spokesman in the Financial Times that to milk ore Melkert was informed or approval has granted to the details of the agreement.

All faith
The American president George W. Bush explained Friday all faith in Wolfowitz to preserve. Read also the blog van Leon the winter which explains that this no corruption matter is, but a political matter.
Original article overhere.
( Last edited by yakkiebah; Apr 16, 2007 at 11:00 AM. )

yakkiebah
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2007, 03:57 PM

This is starting to look more and more as an attempt to get rid of Wolfowitz. And this is going to look uglier for Ad Melkert and the Dutch Labour Party then it's going to be for Wolfowitz.

The MSM and bloggers(Dutch and international) are slowly starting to pick this up since the release of the documents.

Melkert involved in World Bank scandal

17 April 2007

AMSTERDAM – Former Labour party PvdA politician Ad Melkert turns out to have been involved behind the scenes in the scandal at the World Bank.

PvdA Minister Bert Koenders (development aid) recently said it was scandalous that Riza had received special treatment.

Wolfowitz has been under great pressure to resign since the revelation that he gave his girlfriend Riza a promotion and a hefty salary increase.

The World Bank has released documents however indicating that Melkert had given the instruction for Riza's change of position while he served as chairman of the ethical committee at the World Bank.

Wolfowitz was appointed director of the World Bank in 2005. His girlfriend was already working there and was on the verge of promotion.

The director reported this, upon which the ethnical committee, led by Melkert, decided that Riza should be transferred. Relationships between workers in senior positions at the bank are not permitted because of possible conflicts of interest.

Wolfowitz made sure at the time, with Melkert's support, that Shaha Riza secured a good job at the state department.

Melkert's spokesperson said just last week in the Financial Times that Melkert was neither aware of the details of the agreement nor gave his approval. (ouch!)
The Wolfowitz Files
17 April 2007, Wall Street Journal

The World Bank released its files in the case of President Paul Wolfowitz's ethics on Friday, and what a revealing download it is. On the evidence in these 109 pages, it is clearer than ever that this flap is a political hit based on highly selective leaks to a willfully gullible press corps.

Mr. Wolfowitz asked the World Bank board to release the documents, after it became possible the 24 executive directors would adjourn early Friday morning without taking any action in the case. This would have allowed Mr. Wolfowitz's anonymous bank enemies to further spin their narrative that he had taken it upon himself to work out a sweetheart deal for his girlfriend and hide it from everyone.

The documents tell a very different story -- one that makes us wonder if some bank officials weren't trying to ambush Mr. Wolfowitz from the start. Bear with us as we report the details, because this is a case study in the lack of accountability at these international satrapies.

Read the rest...
( Last edited by yakkiebah; Apr 17, 2007 at 06:51 PM. )

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2007, 11:01 AM

So, he requested recusal, and was denied, so he figured the next best thing was to think that this gave him justification for an enormous pay increase. Yup, makes sense to me. Talk about spin.

Did you even read the article you linked to? It says that Wolfowitz was less than candid, and that he personally directed the terms under which the bank gave what it called his "domestic partner" substantial pay raises and promotions in exchange for temporarily leaving her job there during his tenure, according to documents released by the bank's executive board yesterday.
Read the released documents, and you'll see how pathetically irresponsible and wrong your agenda-driven, closed-minded position is.

Here's a general summary...

The paper trail shows that Mr. Wolfowitz had asked to recuse himself from matters related to his girlfriend, a longtime World Bank employee, before he signed his own employment contract. The bank's general counsel at the time, Roberto Danino, wrote in a May 27, 2005 letter to Mr. Wolfowitz's lawyers:

"First, I would like to acknowledge that Mr. Wolfowitz has disclosed to the Board, through you, that he has a pre-existing relationship with a Bank staff member, and that he proposes to resolve the conflict of interest in relation to Staff Rule 3.01, Paragraph 4.02 by recusing himself from all personnel matters and professional contact related to the staff member."

That would have settled the matter at any rational institution, given that his girlfriend, Shaha Riza, worked four reporting layers below the president in the bank hierarchy. But the bank board--composed of representatives from donor nations--decided to set up an ethics committee to investigate. And it was the ethics committee that concluded that Ms. Riza's job entailed a "de facto conflict of interest" that could only be resolved by her leaving the bank.

Ms. Riza was on a promotion list at the time, and so the bank's ethicists also proposed that she be compensated for this blow to her career. In a July 22, 2005, ethics committee discussion memo, Mr. Danino noted that "there would be two avenues here for promotion--an 'in situ' promotion to Grade GH for the staff member" and promotion through competitive selection to another position." Or, as an alternative, "The Bank can also decide, as part of settlement of claims, to offer an ad hoc salary increase."

Five days later, on July 27, ethics committee chairman Ad Melkert formally advised Mr. Wolfowitz in a memo that "the potential disruption of the staff member's career prospect will be recognized by an in situ promotion on the basis of her qualifying record . . ." In the same memo, Mr. Melkert recommends "that the President, with the General Counsel, communicates this advice" to the vice president for human resources "so as to implement" it immediately.

And in an August 8 letter, Mr. Melkert advised that the president get this done pronto: "The EC [ethics committee] cannot interact directly with staff member situations, hence Xavier [Coll, the human resources vice president] should act upon your instruction." Only then did Mr. Wolfowitz instruct Mr. Coll on the details of Ms. Riza's new job and pay raise.
Nice try there, champ.

Orion27
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2007, 11:50 AM

April 17, 2007
Washington Post hack columnist alert
Power Line

Eugene Robinson, hands down the worst Washington Post columnist, devotes today's offering to what he asserts is a lack of credibility on the part of several figures associated with the Bush administration. One of Robinson's targets is Paul Wolfowitz. He accuses the World Bank head of corruption in connection with dictating the terms of an agreement under which his girlfriend was detailed to the State Department with a generous pay raise. Robinson states that "Wolfowitz first gave the impression that he recused himself from involvement in the deal when, in fact, he was right in the middle of it."

But according this account in the Wall Street Journal, which is based of a review 109 pages of relevant documents, Wolfowitz did recuse himself from all personnel matters involving his girlfriend at the World Bank. However, "ethics" officials at the Bank decided that the woman, Shaha Riza, would have to leave her job there due to her relationship with Wolfowitz. The same officials instructed Wolfowitz to provide Riza, who was slated for a promotion at the World Bank, with a pay raise that would offset the damage to her career caused by her ouster. Wolfowitz complied. The Bank's ethics czar subsequently told Wolfowitz that his resolution of the matter was satisfactory.

Robinson omits all of these facts. It is therefore Robinson who lacks credibility.

OpinionJournal - Featured Article

Seems KarlG was eager to take the sex bait. Tasty?
( Last edited by Orion27; Apr 18, 2007 at 12:06 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules