Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Sharing a Dial-Up Connection B/W iBook & G3 via Ethernet

Sharing a Dial-Up Connection B/W iBook & G3 via Ethernet
STAT
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2001, 01:55 AM

Howdy, guys. I'm wondering if I can use Ethernet to share a 56K dial-up connection between my B&W G3 and my new iBook. I was thinking that maybe I could use AppleTalk or something to go through the G3's modem. That way, I could have two computers online at the same time. Is this at all possible? Thanks!
Apple user since 1987

Phorte
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by STAT:
<STRONG>Howdy, guys. I'm wondering if I can use Ethernet to share a 56K dial-up connection between my B&W G3 and my new iBook. I was thinking that maybe I could use AppleTalk or something to go through the G3's modem. That way, I could have two computers online at the same time. Is this at all possible? Thanks!</STRONG>
It's my understanding for this you would need Network Address Translation (NAT) to proxy IP's to both of your computers. I know there are hardware solutions for this (routers), does anyone know of a software solution?

Proteous
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2001, 03:03 PM

There are several software solutions. I know that Sustainable Softworks makes a product called IPNetRouter that will let you share a dialup modem connection with multiple computers over a ethernet network. I'm not sure about any free ones but you might try searching for a free product on www.versiontracker.com

With OSX running on the G3 you can do it by enabling IPforwarding which is build in. I was sharing my G4s modem connection with my laptop running debian. There is a thread about enabling IPforwarding under OSX in these forums.
-There are three types of people, those who can count, and those who can't.-

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2001, 09:32 AM

I also use IPNetRouter, and have to admit - it's pretty good :-) I'm using a dial-up 56k connection, and share it between a G4 667 (hopefully to be replaced with a TiBook!), a revision B iMac and a 900Mhz Duron PC.

I simply have a 6100 as a dedicated router which is left always on, with IPNetRouter running on it always.

Thoroughly recommended :-)

In fact, as far as I am aware it's what Apple uses with Airport to allow simultaneous browsing.

Neil

--

Should I *really* add a signature?
I no longer have a signature.

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2001, 03:29 PM

I downloaded IPNetRouter from download.com, but I'm having some trouble setting it up. I was setting up my G3 B&W as the gateway computer, but I couldn't figure out how to tweak the TCP/IP settings since I dial-up through AOL. Any help would be appreciated!
Apple user since 1987

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2001, 09:00 AM

There are two apps that should download with the latest verison of IPNetRouter. One is the app itself and the other, a helping utility called IPNR config. Setting up without the config app is possible if you know what you're doing but for inexperienced users (like myslef!) in TCP/IP, it is challenging to say the least!

With the config app, there are three simple stages of which it guides you through each one. You don't even need to know any of your own TCP figures! It sets them all up for you by connecting you to a website which determines all the appropriate data.

So there you have it! A SW router, as simple as 1...2...3!

Good luck :-)

Neil

STAT  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2001, 09:09 AM

Well...not quite. Since I use AOL to connect, I'm connecting via AOL Link Enhanced and using a BootP Server. So I can't figure out how to configure IPNetRouter properly, eventhough I used the config app. Help, anybody?
Apple user since 1987

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2001, 09:10 AM

I forgot to mention - IPNetRouter and the IPNR config app are both available at http://www.ipnetrouter.com/site/downloads.html where you can click IPNetRouter, and it will download both the apps.

Neil

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2001, 11:47 AM

Router - same price as IPNetRouter and more robust, built-in firewall.

Two phone lines, two modems, multilink ppp. I'd hate to have two people surfing web at once on 56k.

A lot of live update stuff doesn't work iwth IPNR and deinstalling or turning it off is too much trouble (for me) when there are easier solutions.

some dsl/cable modems have 56k analogue serial port in case dsl is not working or so you can use now and have cable/dsl when it is available.

neilnet
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2001, 05:37 PM

Completely puzzled now! Sorry I can't help you at all, I never use any of the CD's to sort out a web connection - I just configure TCP manually, and never have had to use BootP.

Can anyone help the man?

Neil

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2001, 10:47 AM

Good Question, let's send 'er to the =)Networking Forum

Forum Links
Forum Rules