Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X restarted itself overnight...

OS X restarted itself overnight...
shinji
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2007, 11:57 AM

I have a Mac Pro, and I generally leave it on overnight. This has never happened before, but today it restarted itself. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in console but I see things like:

localhost kernel[0]: hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
localhost kernel[0]revious Shutdown Cause: 0
localhost kernel[0]:USB caused wake event (EHCI)

What should I be looking for, and how would I know if it was a kernel panic or not?

thanks

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 05:47 PM

Do you have any 3rd party RAM? What kind of USB device(s) you have?

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2007, 05:49 PM

No third party RAM.

The only USB device I have is an external LaCie hd, and I don't know if this is related, but I'm using a Razer Pro as my mouse with their driver...have not had any problems with their driver in the past though.

I've been googling the 'previous shutdown cause' thing and I can't find a list of what the codes mean anywhere.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 11, 2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
No third party RAM.

The only USB device I have is an external LaCie hd, and I don't know if this is related, but I'm using a Razer Pro as my mouse with their driver...have not had any problems with their driver in the past though.

I've been googling the 'previous shutdown cause' thing and I can't find a list of what the codes mean anywhere.
That USB event means that the kernel panic was most likely caused by one off your USB devices, I'd say that the mouse is the culprit.
Signature depreciated.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2007, 07:00 PM

Well was there a kernel panic? Because I have no panic.log about it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 11, 2007, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by shinji View Post
I have a Mac Pro, and I generally leave it on overnight. This has never happened before, but today it restarted itself. I'm not sure what I should be looking for in console but I see things like:

localhost kernel[0]: hi mem tramps at 0xffe00000
localhost kernel[0]revious Shutdown Cause: 0
localhost kernel[0]:USB caused wake event (EHCI)

What should I be looking for, and how would I know if it was a kernel panic or not?

thanks
What do you mean it "restarted itself"?

Did you try to wake it up with the mouse and it restarted instead?

Was it switched off?

Or was it just asleep?

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2007, 07:25 PM

No...the computer was on, I left it on overnight.

I was sleeping, and when I woke up I turned my monitor on and I saw all the programs I had had open the night before were closed. system.log shows that I had restarted.

The computer was not asleep, as I have it set to never in energy prefs.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2007, 07:56 PM

I'm not sure what it would say if there was a power surge or brown-out that disrupted the computer. My electricity pops on and off all the time (at the outlet on the wall), but I have a UPS and have not had problems with my Mac Pro.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2007, 08:13 PM

People are saying MBPs are restarting themselves spontaneously, too.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2007, 10:53 PM

If it had paniced, you would have been greeted by the panic screen in the morning. I've never seen a Mac restart itself after a panic. Most likey, you had a momentary blip in the power.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 12, 2007, 12:00 AM

Heres a more logical explanation:

1st, he had a power surge, then his Mac shutdown, I assume he has the "restart after power failure" check box checked in energy saver so his Mac automatically rebooted when the power came back
Signature depreciated.

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2007, 12:10 AM

No, 'restart after power failure' is unchecked. None of the other electronics in the computer room were affected if it was a power issue..

shinji  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 12, 2007, 02:06 AM

Now you guys have me paranoid, and I'm going to buy a UPS anyway. I'll stop in the Apple Store over the weekend and ask what they think.

If anyone has any other ideas or think it was software related, or knows what the shutdown code means, please lmk

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 13, 2007, 10:18 AM

My computer had done this before and was caused by bad RAM. It was also panicing time to time. If there are no panics in the near future I'd say it probably was a power issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules