Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Any way to use a airport express as a wireless 'card'?

Any way to use a airport express as a wireless 'card'?
C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 02:00 PM

What I mean is I have a old computer that I don't think I can put a wireless card in (and I don't want to pay the money). And its wired connection works fine.

Can I use the Airport Express as a 'card'?

ie: computer --> ethernet cable --> Airport *wireless* Airport Extreme --> internet
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2007, 02:38 PM

You want to use the Express as a "bridge." Read the AirPort Express FAQ, and this article as well for more details.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 03:08 PM

hmm, I'll try that out later. I have a hunch that Debian is to blame.
Signature depreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2007, 05:31 PM

I'm really confused here...are you talking about running this Express as a bridge for a machine running Debian? If so, since I don't think there's a version of the AirPort Admin Utility that will run under Debian (I could be wrong), you may have to configure the Express using a Mac first, then connect it to your computer. It should still work, but this is an extra step.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 05:53 PM

Yes, I have done just that with an early G4 that didn't have an AirPort slot. Glenn's two links are the way to go. But I no speak Debian.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm really confused here...are you talking about running this Express as a bridge for a machine running Debian? If so, since I don't think there's a version of the AirPort Admin Utility that will run under Debian (I could be wrong), you may have to configure the Express using a Mac first, then connect it to your computer. It should still work, but this is an extra step.
Yeah, I'm tring to do what Sherman Homan did.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
Yes, I have done just that with an early G4 that didn't have an AirPort slot. Glenn's two links are the way to go. But I no speak Debian.
How did you do it?
Signature depreciated.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 06:42 PM

I connected the ethernet port on the Express to the ethernet port on the G4. I used AirPort admin to use that ethernet port as a LAN port (not a WAN). Then, I told my basestation to act as a WDS head, introduced the Express and the basestation, then I told the Express to bridge the signal from the basestation to ethernet. If you can get it to work on a Mac with an ethernet port, I would think that the Debian machine would see it as an active IP address.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sherman Homan View Post
I connected the ethernet port on the Express to the ethernet port on the G4. I used AirPort admin to use that ethernet port as a LAN port (not a WAN). Then, I told my basestation to act as a WDS head, introduced the Express and the basestation, then I told the Express to bridge the signal from the basestation to ethernet. If you can get it to work on a Mac with an ethernet port, I would think that the Debian machine would see it as an active IP address.
How did you do it? Wheres the check box or something? I look in Airport Admin Utility and Airport Utility and don't see it.
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
How did you do it? Wheres the check box or something? I look in Airport Admin Utility and Airport Utility and don't see it.
Set up the AP Express as a WDS remote. It will then connect to your wireless network and bridge that network to clients attached to the Ethernet port.

Of course your main wireless router will have to be set up to allow WDS for this to work.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Set up the AP Express as a WDS remote. It will then connect to your wireless network and bridge that network to clients attached to the Ethernet port.

Of course your main wireless router will have to be set up to allow WDS for this to work.
Ok, I think I figured it out. A few questions: I have to put both base stations in WDS wireless mode, correct? 2. Do I have to enter the Airport Express as a remote on the Extreme's WDS and visa versa?
Signature depreciated.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 8, 2007, 10:04 AM

The main base station has to allow WDS clients. In AP Utility it's called "Participate in a WDS network". You then select "WDS main" and add client MAC addresses for the WDS remotes (in your case the Express).

The Express has to be configured as a "WDS remote" (make sure it uses the same channel as the WDS main!). You also give it the MAC address of the WDS main.

This is all described in detail in this Apple manual on pages 42-44.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The main base station has to allow WDS clients. In AP Utility it's called "Participate in a WDS network". You then select "WDS main" and add client MAC addresses for the WDS remotes (in your case the Express).

The Express has to be configured as a "WDS remote" (make sure it uses the same channel as the WDS main!). You also give it the MAC address of the WDS main.

This is all described in detail in this Apple manual on pages 42-44.
Cool, I'll try that when I get home.
Signature depreciated.

C.A.T.S. CEO  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2007, 06:00 PM

W00t! It worked guys! Thanks a heep!
Signature depreciated.

cwosigns
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 07:35 AM

Yeah...thanks guys. This helped me set up my Slingbox.

Slingbox--->Airport Express--->Airport Extreme--->Internet--->MacBook (to watch TV)
Chris
2011 MacBook Air, iPhone 4s, iPad 2

Forum Links
Forum Rules