Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > help for a newbie!

help for a newbie!
mcgarry101
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 07:56 AM

Hi all,

after deciding I was going to make the switch after 15 years of Windows based computing, my new shiny macbook finally arrived a few days ago. However, i am finding it difficult getting used to the new OS. Before you say anything, I am aware that most of the idiosyncrasies of OS X are probably there to help make things easier, but at the minute I must admit I am feeling some sort of stockholm syndrome towards XP! As minor as these problems are, they are kindof annoying me and I am wondering if anyone can offer assistance.

- Firstly, how do I make the file extensions in a folder disappear without having to go to 'get info' for each file? I know there is an option to 'show file extensions in ' finder/preferences ', but when i uncheck this box nothing seems to happen!

- My second question relates to front row. How do i use this app without the remote control? The reason i ask is because I have been trying to view movies in full screen in quicktime and realise that this cant be done without upgrading to pro. However, when I use front row, the movies appear in full screen. So, basically i want to view movies in full screen but without the hassle of having to bring the remote everywhere I go. I am aware that i div x for mac will allow full screen, but I am keen for the moment to try and get my head around using the bundled apps with the OS.

-Is it possible to use mail to send.recieve from my hotmail/gmail accounts?

I know these are the most basic of questions but I would appreciate it if someone could help a newbie!

David.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 08:18 AM

To trigger FrontRow without the remote control press command-esc.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 08:29 AM

Stockholm Syndrome!
Your mind has been poisoned by years of exposure to XP!
1) However, you start off with an good one. Are you saying that in the Finder --> Preferences --> Advanced --> Show all file extensions doesn't toggle the extension? The only way that would happen is if the file was actually named with the extension. In other words, if you named a file "spreadsheet.xls" then toggling the extension would have no effect. But if the file were named just plain old "spreadsheet" the extension would toggle. Open up your Applications folder and see what happens there.
2) Tetenal has it...
3) Mail can handle gmail accounts, but not the free Hotmail account.
Mail, Preferences, "Accounts" pane and press the + button in the lower-left corner.
Under "Account Information", fill out the following information:
Account Type: POP
Email Address: [email protected]
Incoming Mail Server: pop.gmail.com
Username: [email protected]
Password: password
Select "Add Server..." from the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)" pop-up menu. Here are the details for it:
Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.gmail.com
Server port: 465 or 587
Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL): Yes
Authentication: Password
User Name: [email protected]
Password: password
Dismiss the window by pressing "OK."
Back in the "Accounts" pane, switch to the "Advanced" tab and check the box marked "Use SSL" towards the bottom.

mcgarry101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 09:39 AM

thanks for your help guys! So far so good with the mac though. Any stumbing blocks so far have just been because i'm used to doing things the hard way ("what do you mean i just drag the icon to the trash to uninstall it? I want my control panel/add-remove programs goddammit!!"), and things have just seemed to easy!

I think my problem with the file extensions has been because i transferred the files from my xp machine where the name included the extension.

Thanks again,

David.

jbleisure
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2007, 10:56 AM

I would really recommend getting one of the Mac OSX books, Pogues is particularyly good. They are incredibly useful. I used one when I switched about 2 years ago.

Also - click in any finder window and hit command (apple key) + J that will bring up a window that lets you amongst other things customize how that specific or all windows look.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 11:13 AM

About Gmail. Don't forget to enable POP3 in your Gmail account.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 11:19 AM

If these are windows files, they are named with the extension. So, on XP, your files 'spreadsheet' is actually named 'spreadsheet.xls'. On the Mac, when you toggle this, it is removing the file extension, but keeping the full file name. You should not have this problem going forward as you create new files, as the Mac uses meta-data for filetypes.

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 11:27 AM

The "show all file extensions" option does not do what you expect it to do. If you had previously set the "hide extension" on a particular file using the File Info window, then the "show all file extensions" option in Finder will show that extension. Unclicking the "show all file extensions" button is not the same as giving a command to hide all file extensions!

I suggest that you just leave the file extensions alone.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2007, 01:00 PM

To get quicktime movies to play fullscreen without using front row, and without pirating QUicktime, there's a simple Apple Script to do this. Just follow the directions on this site: Macworld: Mac 911: Full screen for free
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

mcgarry101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 01:30 PM

thanks again everyone for your help.

Regarding the issue of filetypes, I still cant figure this out! I know its not really an *issue*, however as I work in IT I like things to do what I tell them. The problem I am having is still there despite the recommendations above. If I take a photo in photo booth for example, the OS will append the filetype to the name. If i toggle the 'show file extension' in the finder prefs this makes no difference and the extension stays no matter what the state of the checkbox. However if i manually click on get info and remove the extension this way, then it disappears. Like I said not a big deal, but i just like things to do what I tell them!

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 01:36 PM

Hmm... You're right - it does do this. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Visualize
Forum Regular
May 17, 2007, 01:41 PM

^^Some of the things you have to live with. I think it's like this on every OS.

Btw.. if you save a file(Save As for instance) then notice how there's a down-arrow at the end of the inputbox. If you click on that you can set the file to show extension or not. It's a checkbox located in the lower left corner of the that window comes up(enlarges)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2007, 01:44 PM

So there is no way to automatically hide all file extensions?

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mcgarry101 View Post
thanks again everyone for your help.

Regarding the issue of filetypes, I still cant figure this out! I know its not really an *issue*, however as I work in IT I like things to do what I tell them. The problem I am having is still there despite the recommendations above. If I take a photo in photo booth for example, the OS will append the filetype to the name. If i toggle the 'show file extension' in the finder prefs this makes no difference and the extension stays no matter what the state of the checkbox. However if i manually click on get info and remove the extension this way, then it disappears. Like I said not a big deal, but i just like things to do what I tell them!
The computer is doing what you tell it. The options you mentioned do not say "Hide all extensions." The "show all extensions" option overrides only those that have been manually hidden and does not alter all the normal files that do have extensions. See my post above. What you might want is a second button that says "hide all extensions," which does not exist as far as I know (maybe it does, but I don't know where it is).

rehoot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
So there is no way to automatically hide all file extensions?
I thought I posted this msg earlier, but I don't see it...

I have a homemade AppleScript that can manually set the "hide extension" flag on each individual file, but I don't recommend using it. I don't know of a quick setting that forces all extensions to be hidden.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 17, 2007, 02:13 PM

You can also get your Hotmail within Mail with this plugin:

HttpMail

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 02:24 PM

mcgarry101's example of Photo Booth is interesting. Most programs don't automatically append the extension to the document's name in the save process. You could run an Automator job (for example, find all files that end in ".xls" and delete ".xls") that would clean up the files with the actual extension in the name. Automator is teh bomb, but be really careful with it, it is powerful medicine.

mcgarry101  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2007, 02:44 PM

following on from the above post, maybe its something to do with jpgs because if i create a text document for example, and show all extensions 'off', the extension isnt shown - ie, the checkbox is doing what i imagined it would do.

Rumor
May 17, 2007, 02:45 PM

All I know about Automater is that he's a little robot with a big gun.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2007, 03:51 PM

You may also want to consider the following for your video-viewing pleasure:

VLC is a fantastic open-source video player for nearly every platform under the sun, and of course, for OS X as well. Comes prepackaged with all of your favorite codecs such DivX. You can get it here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...c-media-player

The other item you'll want is a plugin for QuickTime which will enable you to play Windows Media videos without the need for the sorely outdated Windows Media Player for Mac, which, like with Internet Explorer, is no longer supported for the Mac. You can get this here:

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id...mac-wmv-player

This plugin also enables you to play WMV files inside your browser via QuickTime, which is handy.

-War

Forum Links
Forum Rules