Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SATA 3.0 Gb/sec vs SATA 150

SATA 3.0 Gb/sec vs SATA 150
macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2006, 12:14 AM

Is there any difference (other than speed) between "SATA 3.0 Gb/sec" and "SATA 150"? I'm browsing on NewEgg for some new SATA hard drives, and it seems that most are 3.0 Gb/sec. I'm curious if there's anything stopping me from using one of these apparently faster drives on a "150" system.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2006, 10:41 AM

Yes, the only difference is speed. Most SATA150 controllers can work with SATA300 drives, and for the few that can't, most 3Gb/s drives have a 1.5Gb/s jumper setting.
The higher speed does not imply any other features, like NCQ.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2007, 10:03 PM

This is a bump for a very old thread, I know, but can anyone tell me how I can know if a particular SATA drive that specifies the 3.0 GB/sec interface will be compatible with my Dual 2 Ghz G5?

macgyvr64  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2007, 10:52 PM

I can't remember if that G5 has a 3.0 or 1.5 interface (betting on 3.0), but what I've learned since my post above is that most SATA hard drives have a small jumper that limits speed to 150 if you have hardware which enforces that maximum. What make/model drive is it you're thinking about getting?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2007, 11:09 PM

FWIW, I just put a WD 500GB Caviar drive in my DP 2.0, and it specifies 3.0GB transfer. It's a terrific, speedy drive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Jun 2, 2007, 11:13 PM

SATA is fully backwards compatible, in the worst case you have to set a jumper at the harddrive. However, 3 GBit/s drives are not any faster as 1.5 GBit/s drives. I think the Raptors (which are among the fastest SATA drives out there) still use the `slower' 1.5 GBit/s.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had been a little worried after reading a few comments online that SATA 3.0 drives may not necessarily be backwards compatible. Anybody have a favourite HDD right now? I was thinking of picking up a pair of Maxline III's, or maybe Seagate 7200.10's ..... not sure yet.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2007, 12:09 PM

In real world use, we won't see a difference in speed between SATA 1 and SATA 2. Isn't the benefit the bus, and the real benefit would be in a RAID? I'm asking cuz I don't know...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
In real world use, we won't see a difference in speed between SATA 1 and SATA 2. Isn't the benefit the bus, and the real benefit would be in a RAID? I'm asking cuz I don't know...
No, because even in a RAID you typically only have one disk per SATA cable/channel. 3Gbps SATA is really just future-proofing at this point in time.

Also, "SATA 1" and "SATA 2" are meaningless phrases/distinctions. See the SATA-IO website for the proper naming/distinctions.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2007, 02:01 PM

I chose to stay away from the 7200.10 just because early versions of that drive DID have compatibility issues with G5s. I don't think it's a problem anymore, but I didn't want to be disappointed in case it was.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I chose to stay away from the 7200.10 just because early versions of that drive DID have compatibility issues with G5s. I don't think it's a problem anymore, but I didn't want to be disappointed in case it was.
Yea, the PowerMacs didn't like drive firmware 3.AED and earlier.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 11:18 PM

So the newer ones (3.AAE, I think?) should be fine?

Forum Links
Forum Rules