Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Toast and a CD-RW from a 466

Toast and a CD-RW from a 466
t6hawk
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2001, 11:12 AM

Can anything other than DiscBurner be used with a cdrw from a g4 466? I was hoping to use the copy of toast that came with my SCSI burner but no luck yet. Everytime a blank cdr is put in the drive it brings up the empty disc dialog.

Any ideas would be appreciated. thx.
:)

Merciless
Jan 31, 2001, 07:35 PM

Apparently not

t6hawk  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2001, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Merciless:
Apparently not
Ya cause you can't figure it out yourself. Thanks for the DVD drive too! hehe
:)

the siren
Feb 2, 2001, 02:41 PM

Open toast, then put the blank cd in. i have used it that way to do other types of cd's that DiscBurner doesn't do.

Castor
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2001, 03:22 PM

Great info Siren, good that you found that out! However, do you think (or test?) that the following will work: Disable the disc burner extension(s), restart and use Toast. This may seem weird, but my 533 gets delivered next Monday, so I cannot test yet.

Merciless
Feb 2, 2001, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Castor:
Great info Siren, good that you found that out! However, do you think (or test?) that the following will work: Disable the disc burner extension(s), restart and use Toast. This may seem weird, but my 533 gets delivered next Monday, so I cannot test yet.
That won't work...trust me, I tried every combination of anything to get Toast to work with the drive, and I got no results. If you disable any of the extensions from Disc Burner, when you put a new CD in, it will just bring up the standard initialize dialog you get for bad disks.

However, I haven't tested if clicking initialize in that dialog will allow you to burn the CD. I just don't feel like making a coaster for progress Anyone else care to test it out?

Siren: then how coem whenever I open Toast and go to burn the CD, I get a system error? (you know, the hard crash type)

----------
-- Jeff

"This is a teaching hospital, you're here to learn. We'd call it a learning hospital, but that would scare the patients."

[This message has been edited by Merciless (edited 02-02-2001).]

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2001, 02:50 AM

I use toast 4.1.2 (earlier versions do NOT support the Sony Spressa drives) just fine with a PCI G4 and a Sony CRX 145e (IDE) drive mounted in the CD/DVD bay. I also use Disc Burner and iTunes with it just fine. Do NOT use the toast driver for the CDRW at all, and until Roxio releases a new version of DirectCD you won't be able to use Direct CD even if you leave that init enabled. Don't insert the black disc until you are in Toast (I just set up the authoring session and tell toast to burn the disk. When it says "insert a blank CD into the drive" I insert the blank. Works like a charm.

dvd
Feb 3, 2001, 03:45 AM

oh man i'm happy i got my g4 today....i tried , just opening, roxio toast 5 and it read the cdrw time to test it

Merciless
Feb 3, 2001, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by snodman:
I use toast 4.1.2 (earlier versions do NOT support the Sony Spressa drives) just fine with a PCI G4 and a Sony CRX 145e (IDE) drive mounted in the CD/DVD bay.
Well, that's the thing: the drives that ship in the G4s CRX 140e. If you check Sony's website, it's not listed under the Mac heading - it's under the PC heading. I don't think this drive will work at all without Apple's extensions (just because Toast recognizes the drive doesn't mean it will work). Although, I could be wrong.

I'll try your method of setting up to burn the disc and then inserting it when Toast asks for it.

Merciless
Feb 3, 2001, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by Merciless:
Well, that's the thing: the drives that ship in the G4s CRX 140e. If you check Sony's website, it's not listed under the Mac heading - it's under the PC heading. I don't think this drive will work at all without Apple's extensions (just because Toast recognizes the drive doesn't mean it will work). Although, I could be wrong.

I'll try your method of setting up to burn the disc and then inserting it when Toast asks for it.
Hey, guess what...I was wrong (good thing too). You're right: if I put in the CD only when Toast asks for it, all is well. Don't even need 9.1 for it.

My problem was, my computer froze with 4 minutes left on the burn Guess I made a coaster anyway. Toast was the only thing open at the time too.

------------------
-- Jeff

"This is a teaching hospital, you're here to learn. We'd call it a learning hospital, but that would scare the patients."

the siren
Feb 5, 2001, 01:59 AM

I've been using the toast 5 betas to burn, and so far now problems. the one thing i like about Discburner is that it automatically choses the optimal speed for whatever you are burning. so far no coasters with it, only a few with toast.

I forgot to mention that i hve the toast extensions disabled, and it works great just using the apple ones.

I also have the que firewire 8x4x32x cdrw and i have to say, the new one in my machine is so much more reliable. i got coasters all the time with the other one. i have yet to try hte que drive with the new apple drivers, i hope, ihope. that would be too cool.

I havent figured out a way to burn images with discburner. If any body does, post it so we can all benefit.

-the siren

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 5, 2001, 03:18 AM

t6hawk thought apple was really limiting their users like they are...but the cdrw of course isnt limited...its a freaken normal cdrw drive thats just put int eh drive bay....why wont it work with toast...anywho..can i use diskburner drivers and disabling toast's and use toast 5 still..too lazy to test it out..i probaly will after i post this
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

Veerle
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2001, 04:42 AM

I use exactly the same machine as you (G4/466) with Toast 4.1.2 Deluxe and everything works fine. I already burned a couple of disks with it. There are NO Toast extensions in my system folder. I first prepare my files next I open Toast, check speed and then I click burn disk and Toast says to put in a blank disk, after that Toast starts writing. The built in CD burner is a Sony.

Forum Links
Forum Rules