Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Reassembly Tips?

MBP Reassembly Tips?
ejl10
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 10:33 AM

Hi all,

I installed a 250GB Western Digital drive in my 15" MBP last night, and found reassembly to be a real pain. On the first try I misaligned the top panel a little bit - it was well aligned on the right side above the burner, but overlapped the left side by 1mm or so. On the second try I got everything aligned well, but there's still a small gap between the top panel and the bit of case above the burner slot. Does anyone have any tips for reassembly to get everything aligned perfectly?

FWIW, I slid some playing cards into the burner slot to give it support while pushing down on the top panel to clip it in place, but I still couldn't get rid of that gap. It almost seems like there's a clip that hasn't yet clipped into place. The MBP construction seems to be as much art as engineering!

Incidentally, everything is working perfectly. The extra storage space is just what the doctor ordered.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2007, 10:47 AM

Check out ifixit
They usually have plenty of screen shots.

Typically a gap usually caused when one or some of the screws are not tighten enough.

After looking at ifixit's screen shots all I have to say is your a braver soul then me to open it up

If I was ever tempted to open the case looking at those pictures confirmed that its not for me

ejl10  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2007, 12:49 PM

Here's a photo of the gap. If I press down on the wrist rest, the gap actually closes. It just won't stay that way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules