Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Predictions for Macworld from Japan(G4)

Predictions for Macworld from Japan(G4)
slipjack
Senior User
Jan 2, 2002, 09:49 PM

Howdy... I'm writing from Japan and I've just read through the Japanese Magazine MacPower which gives a pretty good, thorough analysis of coming attractions:

1000 Mhz plus (Apollo) using SOI and other improvements
200 Mhz bus
DDR Ram
Improved or replaced Uni-north and Key Largo chips
Improved PCI bus (?)
New form factor in white (my guess - look at the new Airport!)
No USB 2.0, but probably better Firewire.
ATA/100

They interviewed guys from AMD, Motorola, and Nvidia.

It sounded like they would be happy to have Apple use the Hyper Transport tech, and entirely possible to integrate into the Mac. For that, Macs will need a new bus architecture so probably at best we can hope for an iterive imporovement that gets Macs closer to be able to use the technology. The Motorola rep said positively that G4 is over 1 Ghz already, and that it had incorporated SOI. He also said that the overall "perfomance" of the chip had improved as well, which I take to mean that the performance at even the same level of mHz has improved.(!!)

Hope this helps

Hungry? I am.

Peace

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 2, 2002, 09:59 PM

That doesn't sound "Big" by even my standards and it certainly isn't beyond these rumor sites

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 12:31 AM

"the overall "perfomance" of the chip had improved as well..."

? "the" chip ?

which one are they forecasting, apollo, right?

improved over what? what we've been told about it?

I agree that Apollo is hardly "beyond rumor sites"
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2002, 12:52 AM

I don't agree or get the new case being white. I came to the conclusion that metal was for pros (G4, TiBook) and white was for consumers (new iMac, iBook, iPod)

Why would the new tower be white? Then they'd have to make the TiBook white for consistency.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

SpeadFreek
Jan 3, 2002, 12:55 AM

iTanium Tower - YYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS !

gotta have one - a castle fit for a G5 !
PowerMac Dual G5
2.6GHz 1.5Gig 145GigDeskStar

phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 3, 2002, 04:07 AM

so kid red iPod is a pronsumer (!!!!) product??? Because one side is white and the other metal.Hmmm
Also powermacs have no metal as I remember.
Kid red I don't think this is it.Apple is just shifting to new cleaner look.
I bet that no one will understand what the last sentence meant (or the whole text !!!) cause my english suck.BIG TIME!!!!!!

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 11:45 AM

I bet 'beyond the rumor sites' refers to another, unknown product, not the G4 Pro systems, but Hey, it's all conjecture.

I don't know what you're all whiney about though, Dual Gig G4 w/much faster bus/ram will Kick A$$. Good enough fer me.

Team MacNN :: Crush the competition :: crunching :: Dual Ghz G4/Radeon 9000/23" Cinema Display

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 12:11 PM

Ah, and it looks like I was right.

Click here for the new Mac product. (It looks real.)
www.spymac.com

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
<STRONG>"the overall "perfomance" of the chip had improved as well..."

? "the" chip ?

which one are they forecasting, apollo, right?

improved over what? what we've been told about it?

I agree that Apollo is hardly "beyond rumor sites" </STRONG>
Apollo, yes. We'll, I translated it as saying that performance gains were in addition to the mhz gains. Probably moving the G4 to a 0.13 micron process. Reducing the die size increases effeciency and can increase the 'power' of the proc. even at the same speed.

JCG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 12:52 PM

Beyond the rumour sites could mean a lot. Could it be that Apple has bought AltaVec from Motorolla, and has contracted IBM to build a Power4 style chip with AltaVec? It would make sense, G4's move to the consumer line up, and IBM G5's move into the professional line up. Supply is still split between the two manufacturers. This makes more sense than Apple staying with Motorolla for their high end chip design, when they are lagging behind the industry. Apple could use OS X Server as a way to win IBM over to this by porting it over to their high end servers....

hayesk
Jan 3, 2002, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by slipjack:
<STRONG>Ah, and it looks like I was right.

Click here for the new Mac product. (It looks real.)
www.spymac.com</STRONG>
No, it doesn't look real. In another thread this is dicussed. In summary:

- sayhello video: the text remains still while the camera shakes a little.
- turnaround video: the shadow off the right hand projected on the iWalk is too far away. It's really noticeable near the end of the video
- the "gigawire" connector looks like a 25-pin DIN - Apple would use a more modern connector
- the bootup video: the dial stops turning for half a second but the hand motion is smooth - hiccup in the 3D rendering, not the video
- the screen bleeds right into the plastic. there would be a small black border around the screen so you wouldn't lose pixels behind the rounded plastic corners.

There are other reasons. But basically, it's a fake.

iNeusch
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2002, 03:34 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
<STRONG>There are other reasons. But basically, it's a fake.</STRONG>
It's a good fake

Too bad it's fake

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by phobos:
<STRONG>so kid red iPod is a pronsumer (!!!!) product??? Because one side is white and the other metal.Hmmm
Also powermacs have no metal as I remember.
Kid red I don't think this is it.Apple is just shifting to new cleaner look.
I bet that no one will understand what the last sentence meant (or the whole text !!!) cause my english suck.BIG TIME!!!!!!</STRONG>
Well, the Quick Silver is well, silver plastic. That's my point. The look, not neccessarily the material.

The iPod is generally white with some metal. The majority is white which is the general look I'm speaking of.

KidE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by iNeusch:
<STRONG>

It's a good fake

Too bad it's fake </STRONG>
If you're not interested in having SpyMac harvest your email, I've linked all the files and some commentary here iWalk files.

Take a look. Being in visual effects, I spotted the glitches right off. Nice job, but using the motion stabilizer in AE would have helped, that and sub-pixel resolution.

Regards,

Geoff

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: KidE ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2002, 05:40 PM

sayhello video: the text remains still while the camera shakes a little.
While I won't argue the legitimacy of the iWalk, I will argue the above.

I enlarged my QT window to full screen and placed a stickie on my monitor for a reference point and the text does indeed move. It moves with the shifting weight of his hand.

pjkim
Jan 3, 2002, 06:13 PM

If that handwriting video is real, it has to be the WORST possible angle to demonstrate the new device- the most important part, where the stylus meets the screen (rubber meets the road?) is completely obstructed by the hand. Can you think of a worse angle?

If on the other hand, you wanted to creat a fake video, that angle would be a good choice because the hardest part to fake (the stylus/screen interface) would be hidden.

Move along, there is nothing to see here.

Next.

Christopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2002, 07:58 PM

I am so disappointed...I thought for sure Apple would come out with a
G-5,HyperTransport,Rapid IO, etc..Plus,maybe an MPEG-4 chip on the motherboard for QuickTime.Also, a Raycer chip for O/S-X.I mean one killer machine.Plus, show off a dual G-5 tower.Tell us we can place our order and the wait time is 3 months.Okay...But an iMac LCD G-3 750 MHz and $1,800.00
Ouch.... After all the hype Apple had on their web-site.A major blow-off to all the hard-core mac enthusiasts.I feel sorry for the owners of apple stock.They better sell now at $23/share or else...So G-5 by fourth quarter
2002.Oct.-Nov.-Dec.. Maybe???It seems Apple is trying to milk the G-3 & G-4's.True sadness.I was so hopeful in Apple and Steve Jobs plus the Team.
I already have a G- 450,etc..Plus, O/S-X has so many patches.It will not be complete until 10.3 realistically.Which is around the fourth quarter.
Why deal with the head-aches if one can just wait.Apple has the technology
and the money???Why are they holding back?

raferx
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 09:06 PM

iWalk= FAAAAKKKKEEE!!!!!!
G5=maybe... if it is way beyond the rumor sites, then it has to be 2.0 Ghz G5 in a titanium case.
I figure prosumer/consumer will get the biggest boost.
Cheers,
raferx

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2002, 09:39 PM

Well thank God I live in the Bay Area. I'm just going to go to the convention to see what the scoop really is. I cannot stand dealing with too many rumors.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by Christopher:
<STRONG>I am so disappointed...I thought for sure Apple would come out with a
G-5,HyperTransport,Rapid IO, etc..Plus,maybe an MPEG-4 chip on the motherboard for QuickTime.Also, a Raycer chip for O/S-X.I mean one killer machine.Plus, show off a dual G-5 tower.Tell us we can place our order and the wait time is 3 months.Okay...But an iMac LCD G-3 750 MHz and $1,800.00
Ouch.... After all the hype Apple had on their web-site.A major blow-off to all the hard-core mac enthusiasts.I feel sorry for the owners of apple stock.They better sell now at $23/share or else...So G-5 by fourth quarter
2002.Oct.-Nov.-Dec.. Maybe???It seems Apple is trying to milk the G-3 & G-4's.True sadness.I was so hopeful in Apple and Steve Jobs plus the Team.
I already have a G- 450,etc..Plus, O/S-X has so many patches.It will not be complete until 10.3 realistically.Which is around the fourth quarter.
Why deal with the head-aches if one can just wait.Apple has the technology
and the money???Why are they holding back?</STRONG>

I think the expectations for G5 are too much. The Apollo G4's gonna rock, and the bus improvements will get us closer to Hyper, if not there yet. I think we'll see close to 1 ghz for the imac too, as the newest proc. from Motorola, the FX, will go that high. G5 will probably come in time, but we can enjoy some pretty snappy G4's in the time being. This is not at all like when the G4 was stuck at 500 (remember going BACKWARD to a 350??) This is definitely a major step forward for the Mac.

Believe me, the machines will rock. Do you care about technology that hasn't been announced or do you care about performance? The G5 that exists now is a Altivec-less, Network only Proc... Motorola will have to create a desktop version before Apple can come out with any machines using the G5.

The Apollo version of the G4 should carry more punch, more speed, better bus connectivity, etc. etc. This is a GOOD THING. For the past 2 years, we've had to put up with teeny incremental improvements in Mhz, Ram, etc. This time around should be an across the board jump. Freakin' A, you can whine about G5, or suck it up and enjoy the fact that 2002 is going to be the year of the APPLE.

IMHO.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: slipjack ]

slipjack  (op)
Senior User
Jan 3, 2002, 11:43 PM

erg.. was tryin' to edit.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: slipjack ]

Romulus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2002, 07:51 AM

Some one mentioned that metal (the silver-under-plastic look of the QuickSilvers) is more professinal then the basic white/beige. I agree. What about black case's? Or some thing like with a silvery/black-under-plastic? That would look cool, and look new. I would draw up some thing, but I cant control PS/Bryce/FW/ect well enought... If any one understands my idea, could you draw it up? Thx.
I am getting a PC - Cheaper and faster, but not better... PC Spec's

Forum Links
Forum Rules