Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > MultiTouch iMac coming MWSF 2008

MultiTouch iMac coming MWSF 2008
PookJP
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2007, 12:38 AM

Just sayin'.

(Apple's obsessed with Multitouch, Coverflow is better suited for a MultiTouch interface, Coverflow is in Leapord, and it's an awesome consumer gimmick).
It's the devil's way now.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 09:49 AM

It's possible. So soon though, seriously?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 10:22 AM

I'd say 10.6.
Signature depreciated.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 10:53 AM

Is not a little early to be talking MWSF, WWDC is not even over. Come on the Paris expo is only a couple of months away, we got new Imac's last year in paris, and update it sometime. However is what you may see in the keynote.........

1. Iphone is the best thing since sliced bread. Sales are big (i.e. updated Iphone)
2. Apple TV doing good still needs a couple of things. Software update for 1080p support. Hardware update DVD player (not burner) so now it only product you need on your TV.
3. leopard is doing great.
4. Maybe MacPro update. (I say that because the way I understand it the CPU replacement will be out around that time. On this point I could be wrong.)
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
2. Apple TV doing good still needs a couple of things. Software update for 1080p support. Hardware update DVD player (not burner) so now it only product you need on your TV.
The TV is trying to replace DVDs, not support them.
Signature depreciated.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post
I guess that is true. Was not the DVD player a replacement for the VHS tape, but you can find DVD/VHS combo players in many stores.

For christmas I am getting my 60+ year old mother a HD 1080p TV a Apple TV (and I refuse to use that  symbol ). The first thing she will ask me is "Where do you stick the DVD"

And last I have over 300 DVDs and until I can legally rip them for my Apple TV like I do my music for my IPod, Then a DVD player is always be needed. Why not make it one item?
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 11:47 AM

If Apple TV supported DVDs I would buy one and never look back. It'd be the ultimate marriage.

Those are all good, sensible predictions, and I do think it's early for multi-touch. Then again, what do we know. There might already be an iPhone-esque iPod in the works that probably won't get announced until they meet a particular sales goal.

What's typically the focus for the Paris Mac thing? Is it usually hardware?

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
What's typically the focus for the Paris Mac thing? Is it usually hardware?
Last year the Imac came out at the Paris expo.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2007, 12:09 PM

Last year the Imac came out at the Paris expo.
No it didn't, it came out at a special event. Apple didn't have a keynote at the Paris expo last year, the last introduction of a Mac at the Paris expo was the iMac G5 (and its spelled iMac, not Imac).
Signature depreciated.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 02:19 PM

No it didn't, it came out at a special event. Apple didn't have a keynote at the Paris expo last year, the last introduction of a Mac at the Paris expo was the iMac G5 (and its spelled iMac, not Imac).
Your right, the iMac was special event, see I can even be wrong sometimes.
( Last edited by ESavage; Jun 13, 2007 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Sorry I said something that could be taken out of context)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2007, 02:21 PM

That's a big mistake. DVDs are not going anywhere any time soon. People have huge DVD libraries that they are not going to replace. People still need a DVD player, and will for years, if not decades.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2007, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
That's a big mistake. DVDs are not going anywhere any time soon. People have huge DVD libraries that they are not going to replace. People still need a DVD player, and will for years, if not decades.
I've heard that before.

But the reason I agree with you is that I think we'll hit an economic depression within the next 5 years that will discourage a lot of elective upgrades.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2007, 11:07 PM

How would one use a multi-touch iMac? Numerous usability studies have shown that touch screen displays fail as interfaces primarily when they are vertical surfaces.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jun 13, 2007, 11:48 PM

It would have to be tilted, of course, or be highly adjustable in order to best suit the different input methods, i.e. tilted, near-horizontal when you're using multitouch, vertical when using mouse and keyboard, which are not going to become obsolete anytime soon.

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 12:19 AM

I would assume a updated iMac to come out soon after the Student promo to end.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2007, 12:34 AM

I don't think we'll be seeing any multitouch Macs until Apple produces a tablet.

stwain2003
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2007, 01:15 AM

*HISSSSS!!*
8GB iPhone
Coming Soon: Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I've heard that before.

But the reason I agree with you is that I think we'll hit an economic depression within the next 5 years that will discourage a lot of elective upgrades.
DVD's will be around for a while yet. People who do get a new Blu Ray or HD-DVD drive will still be able to play, read and write DVDs, because they have one thing in common, they are all 5" silver discs.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 04:35 PM

It'll be sooner than MWSF 08...

Koralatov
Senior User
Jul 1, 2007, 06:27 PM

I'm sceptical about the possibility of a touch screen on the iMac any time, well... ever. I can't imagine that a vertically-aligned touchscreen would work particularly well—having had a pretend session with my monitor right now merely confirmed this suspicion. I think it would be innovation for the sake of it.

However, I think the multitouch-on-MacBook rumour at CruchGear (Multi-Touch On MacBooks In October) is a lot more likely to come about. Personally, I think it's much more likely, and would be a positive addition to the MacBook's capabilities. I'm not so sure about the half-thickness element of it, however; I think getting it down to half-an-inch thick is beyond even Apple's technical gurus...

Stockcerts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2007, 07:27 AM

I am on the edge trying to decide if I should buy now, or wait. I have a PC that's on its last leg, so I'm a bit impatient. I hate waiting based on rumours. I'll wait a little longer and see what happens. Hopefully we're less than a month away!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2007, 10:47 AM

For christmas I am getting my 60+ year old mother a HD 1080p TV a Apple TV (and I refuse to use that  symbol ). The first thing she will ask me is "Where do you stick the DVD"
Damn. That's a mighty expensive Christmas present. I like my mom and all, but I'm not about to spend $1500 on a TV and an Apple toy for her.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

allblue
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2007, 01:02 PM

I'm not sure about this multi-touch screen idea. Firstly the screens are very expensive - not so bad iPhone size, but a 24" touchscreen would cost more than the rest of the iMac. Until those prices come down I just don't think it's feasible. Secondly I cannot see how practically such a screen would work, there's no way you would want to have to keep your arms out in front of you all day touching the screen, and if it is hinged in some way to provide a more accessible angle it is going to have a very large footprint.
Personally I think this technology is better suited to a new and innovative input device - something that could take the place of the keyboard, mouse and tablet in one piece of kit. Typing on a flat surface would be difficult certainly, but there is no reason why there could not be a solid raised 'keyboard' surface to allow you to differentiate between the separate keys, but instead of the key depressing (which it wouldn't be able to do) touching the surface would be enough. Just imagine, a bespoke keyboard layout for each application, and a 'pad' area on the right side which you could use as your mouse/tablet, complete with gestures and multi-touch.
The last 100 years or so has seen machines evolve from mechanical to mechanical/electronic hybrids with electronics gradually gaining dominance - but even high-tech like computers have spinning hard drives, mouse clicks, keyboard keys etc., so a non-mechanical input device would be a real advance.
If anyone could pull off such an innovative genuine advance surely it's Johnny Ives and the chaps at Cupertino.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2007, 01:57 PM

Actually, as screens keep getting bigger, the keyboard / mouse combo starts to make less sense for some operations (not ALL, don't wanna write my eMail on a touchscreen, thanks) - cost-wise, it shouldn't be too expensive, and it would be a great way to show a real differentiator from Windows products. And it makes Apple Cinema Displays more attractive (assuming they get the same technology).

tkmd
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 3, 2007, 12:25 PM

I highly doubt that the iMac will garner a multi touch interface - its too big. That said, I do believe that the MT screen is the future of computing for ultra portables ( I believe that Apple is working on such a machine now) where size limits the keyboard. Apples MT interface is a great start and seems that it is leaps and bounds ahead of the competition.

I expect the iMac to get a refresh in the fall/ winter (processor/vid card) and sport a new enclosure - prolly modeled after the current LCD displays. I think no chin and instead of brushed metal, which seems to be signature of the pro line, will instead get white plastic.

The ultraportable will debut in January's MW with the standard Apple silence- generating much hype and anticipation. Ahhh, I can hear SJ now starting off MW with " Iphone has sold sooo well that we had to bring MT tech to our computer line..." Apple greybeards know this all too well...
Pismo 400 | Powerbook 1.5 GHz | MacPro 2.66/6GB/7300GT

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2007, 12:36 PM

I think it'd make more sense to make a touch-screen MacBook instead of an iMac. Just make a tablet PC. You know, one that people would actually want.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Jul 3, 2007, 07:20 PM

not gonna happen, i agree, i think the tablet would be a better idea for the MBP if any touch based Mac at all. The only people who would hugly gain from it would be graphic designers if it was supported with a pen tool, but your top end designers already have Graphics tablets with monitors in them anyway so wouldnt bother with extra £500 or whatever just to have it on the machine when they have shalle dout like £1000 for tablet.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
I've heard that before.

Well, I take your point, but when did tape recorders stop being standard on mid range hi-fis? I think I only fully switched to CDs in the early 2000s, even now, I still have a collection of tapes that I don't have digitally. The point is that for decades, CDs served alongside extensive tape collections. Long after the format is obsolete for new stuff, compatibility with old stuff is needed.

macdevil
Jul 5, 2007, 03:36 PM

Well, I take your point, but when did tape recorders stop being standard on mid range hi-fis? I think I only fully switched to CDs in the early 2000s, even now, I still have a collection of tapes that I don't have digitally. The point is that for decades, CDs served alongside extensive tape collections. Long after the format is obsolete for new stuff, compatibility with old stuff is needed.
By the mid 90's there were more sales of CD's than tapes. CD sales are down big now because of the electronic format and P2P sharing. I have over 100gig of AAC files and I can only think of 10 CDs I have purchased since January 2000.
Tibook 800dvi 40gig, 1 gig RAM
iMac 24" 2.16 C2d, 250G, 1gig RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules