Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4/500 OS 9.0.4 sleep problems persist

G4/500 OS 9.0.4 sleep problems persist
Ed Gallaher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2000, 02:44 PM

I have a G4/500 with 9.0.4. It still has problems waking from sleep. It seems that the hard drive goes to sleep even while I am using the system. I can be working in Word 98, and when I go to save a file there will be a 10-30 second delay. The system "pauses", and I can't do anything until it rubs the sleep out its eyes and completes the save.

Any suggestions?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 12, 2000, 03:15 PM

Open the Energy Saver control panel. If there is a "Show Details" button, hit it to show all options.
In the "Sleep Setup" tab, turn off each option. Do the same in the "Sleep Schedule" tab and the "Advanced" tab. That should do it.
It sounds like "Separate timing for hard disk sleep" is enabled and set for a short interval.

Ed Gallaher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2000, 10:27 PM

Thanks, but that's too simple. I did have the sleep times set separately, but they were all set for about 30-45 minutes.

I may have found another answer, however. In looking at the preferences for Sherlock I found the indexing feature turned on. I turned this off, and things seem to be running faster. I am also on a network, and some of the overhead may be in polling the net. I'll keep you posted if I learn anything more.

Cipher13
Jun 13, 2000, 03:41 AM

Well, as they say, "If sleep problems persist, see your doctor".
Sorry I just had to say that - as soon as I saw the topic I had to. I can't help with the problem though - I have no idea. Sorry.

Cipher13

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2000, 02:33 PM

Ed,

Are you sure that the hard disk is spinning down? Do you hear it spinning up during this pause?

Nathan Strum
Jun 13, 2000, 02:40 PM

Sherlock's indexing is a definite possible culprit. Another is Apple's Software Update control panel. It will periodically check your computer against Apple's site to see if you need updates. You can shut that off too. You might also check in the TCP/IP control panel. Make sure that the User Mode is Advanced. Click on the Options button, and see if TCP/IP is set to Load Only When Needed. If not, check that and see if that helps.

jas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2000, 06:36 PM

Check under the Advanced tab of the Energy Saver CP. Make sure "allow processor cycling" is NOT checked. This option will often cause the problems you seem to be having.

---jas

Jaharmi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2000, 07:13 PM

On Open Transport "load only when needed" feature:

According to an Apple Open Tpt engineer leading a networking session at MacWorld NYC 1999, "load only when needed" is always enabled behind the scenes (i.e. turning it on or off yourself doesn't make a difference). I believe this started as of Open Tpt in Mac OS 8.5.

As for sleep mode:

One of my student employees tracked down issues with sleep on newer Macs. It appears that the Microsoft Office Manager ("MOM") from Office 98 causes interference with Energy Saver. Indeed, with MOM enabled at startup, Macs don't typically shut down at pre-determined times. While I have not had a chance to fully test it myself, my student employee did testing on his own with several Macs and swears that disabling MOM eliminates this problem. It may eliminate your Energy Saver issues, as well.

(I have seen the problem you mention, involving waking slowly to a useful state, on a Power Mac G4 Sawtooth/400 and my PowerBook G3 Lombard/400, with and without any Office 98 apps running. Same general problem happens when dealing with CD-ROMs, especially after some idle time. On my Macs, MOM98 is enabled.)

HTH.

------------------
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka
"Jaharmi
Jeremy J. Reichman, aka "Jaharmi"

Forum Links
Forum Rules