Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac and iSight

iMac and iSight
bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 2, 2007, 03:15 PM

Not sure if this is the right area so please move it if it is not. I have a 24 inch iMac and have never used the internal iSight to video conference. From what I have read, I need aol instant messenger to do this. Is there another way? I want to video conference with my daughter who will be using a windows machine and a camcorder for the video. Prefer free software to do this if possible.
tnks
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Visualize
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2007, 03:50 PM

IMO, the smartest option is to use Skype for both video and audio conferencing. It works for both Windows and OS X and will work with your internal iSight camera. If your daughter really wants to use AOL Instant Messenger on her Windows box then maybe try iChat and login using your AIM account informations. Maybe just use Skype?! It's free!! But since she's using a camcorder for her camera...hmm. try it out. No-one gets hurt in the process.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2007, 04:11 PM

AIM and iChat run on the same servers. Never tried video chat from one to the other, but it ought to be possible. Skype probably is your best bet though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules